Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

air bags..again

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bags..again

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with suncore industries,front suspension has sagged a couple of times during last few weeks,new front pass side bag was no good,can hear it hissing when trying to lift,seems ok when it gets to level one and above...seems theres a lot of problems with arnott,also thinking of replacing front shocks at same time,suncore come complete,any advice before I commit to ringing arnott?...pity we cant get continental bags to replace the oe,mine is 8 yrs old and still original,dont want to be replacing bags every 3 years...
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every 3 years? I have 4 Arnotts and both front ones had to be replaced within the 1 year guarantee time. One of them went wrong only after 1200 miles the second one less than 6000 miles, sagging 1-2 levels during the nights and of course, abroad...
Now it seems that the third one (yes, the replacement) has problems, too, despite thorough installation and a brand new Wabco compressor which could be burned if this continues! I have to be brave to go for a longer journey.. awesome. I also will try different brands.

Last edited by PetrolBear; 02-19-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
Every 3 years? I have 4 Arnotts and both front ones had to be replaced within the 1 year guarantee time. One of them went wrong only after 1200 miles the second one less than 6000 miles, sagging 1-2 levels during the nights and of course, abroad...
Now it seems that the third one (yes, the replacement) has problems, too, despite thorough installation and a brand new Wabco compressor which could be burned if this continues! I have to be brave to go for a longer journey.. awesome. I also will try different brands.
Sorry, you will have nearly the same misfortune with other brands. The underlying problem is the rubber air bladder, which simply cannot withstand the rigors of environment, elements, the excessive weight and harshness of daily road use. It is a seriously flawed system, for a non-commercial vehicle. Until you accept the reality of always replacing airbags....this car is most likely NOT for 90% of the driving population.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Zuffernhausen, you're a bit dramatic here. My front originals were replaced after 8 years and rear ones are still original after 12 years.

First of all, it is not always the bag which leaks. In front, the top plate o-ring bolts have to be surprisingly tight - otherwise air leaks between the bag top and suspension plate.

Secondly, when I do a wheel change (autumn, spring), I raise the suspension up and clean the rubber and clean and wax the adjoining body of the spring. This is crucial if you do a 402.

I believe the best spring option is Arnott gen I because it is open for cleaning.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

AUDI OEM. just look at all the "leaking" "failed" airbag posts here and elsewhere. How often do you see a post that says, "hey I just put Audi OEM airbags in and 6 months later one failed". Pay the money; put in Audi OEM and enjoy for another 100,000 miles. -same with front shocks. Pay the money and you're good to go for 130,000 miles on front shocks.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ivonius, you're right about the quality. However, when driving with a 12-year oldie, you don't see your AR's future that clear. Cheaper options are in mind.

At least in here (Finland), the original bag is twice the price of Arnott 1. That's why, if not going for originals, don't choose Gen II because of its closed stucture.

Luckily, http://www.air-suspension-shop.com has started to sell originals or good copies of them, lot cheaper. Buyers I know have been happy with them.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned

You are going to get the best performance and longevity from the OEM bags and related parts. We understand they are more expensive than some of the other after market options, but we believe our prices and customer service can make the OEM option quite appealing. Click my LINK to be directed to the airbags on our site.

Sorry, the link isn't working right now but I should have it fixed shortly, until then just click my signature and you will be directed to our home page and from there it is only a few quick clicks away.

Last edited by Jake-AudiUSAParts; 02-27-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torsti Tenhunen
Luckily, http://www.air-suspension-shop.com has started to sell originals or good copies of them, lot cheaper. Buyers I know have been happy with them.
Too bad they don't speak English. My German is terrible; my grandfather only taught me how to count in German.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default air-suspension-shop is in English

Originally Posted by Mike B
Too bad they don't speak English. My German is terrible; my grandfather only taught me how to count in German.
Those who look carefully and know country flags, will find a language selection. It is up in the middle . And they use English in correspondence emails.

Last edited by Torsti Tenhunen; 02-28-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the info guys,have done a bit of research and these are available in Europe,look better quality than the goodyear stuff,when the snow goes,will definatly be replacing one if not both fronts with non arnott stuff