Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Those with the Recaro Young Sport CR, little help please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with the Recaro Young Sport CR, little help please...

My son is going to be shorter/smaller overall so I went the Recaro as its' the best 5 point harness CR on the market for safety. I think we can agree that the longer our children stay in five points harness, the better. Currently he is 2 years old, 26 pounds and 33" tall. Reading thru the Recaro Young Sport, this is the convertible harness to booster seat model, it's says and I quote
"Provided that your child weighs between 18 and 40 pounds, is between 27 and 40 inches, and is over 1 year old, the harness mode may be used."
Now if I read that, it makes it sound as if I need to take him out of harness mode and go to booster mode after he reaches one of the two limits. I want this kid in a harness longer than 40 lbs and/or 40". Do I read that correctly? Would anyone else agree that if I can get him to be in a harness rather than a booster seat where it uses the factory installed seat belts it would be safer? My wife says there is a Britax that goes to 60lbs for harness use. May have to look a that one and take the Recaro back.
Thanks and I will be calling Recaro and numerous others today to get the manufacturers ruling as well.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes after 40" and 40# they want you to switch to being a booster

once they are over that, the 3 point belt from the car will fit them when they are in the booster. the booster raises them up high enough that the seatbelt is placed properly across their shoulder, and kids 40# weight, and combined with the weight of the seat shold be enough to properly tension the seatbelt.

My kid is right about 37# and is 41" tall. we are still having her use the harness for now, but predict switching to the booster any day now. I really have no concerns about switching her to the booster I believe it to be plenty safe, and likely better than just about any other booster out there.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We just bought a Sunshine Kids Radian 65, harness okay up to 65 lbs or 49-51" or so. I feel

that the five point is safer than an unattached device that pushes the child against the car's belt and sort of increases the forward inertia in a crash, as compared to a CSR with harness that is effectively attached to the car itself.

In any case, there's a weight limit for LATCH hooks and even harness seats for bigger kids need to convert to seat belt mounting after 40-47 pounds. Buy a Mighty Tight device for use with belts at that point (some use it with Latch hooks, too).

Google the official US growth rate charts and see that the 80 lbs seats are really not worth buying unless your child is obese or handicapped. Turns out that way more than 90+% kids grow too tall for the harness seats well before they grow too heavy for them, even at 65 lbs.

Further benefit of Radian 65 is the narrow profile seat bottom that will permit two adults to fit in with the seat, or two seats and one adult, in the back of a C5 Audi - not an easy feat.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Britax or Safeguard let them stay in harness longer

There are a couple of Britax's, Safeguard, and a few others that go to 65lbs in harness mode, and one Britax that goes up to 80lbs. The recaro only goes up to 40 in harness, and then you have to use it as a booster. I went with the Safeguard seat since it goes to 65lbs in harness, and then can serve as a booster to 80. The recaro is a very nice booster for what it is, but I'd rather keep my kid in the harness longer.

We're very pleased with the Safeguard so far. Seems like the next generation in car seats, and is priced accordingly.