Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thoughts on Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06?

Need a good set of all seasons for driving my '02 AR in Brooklyn - mix of pothole-filled city driving and periodic highway. I don't fly around corners, but my driving is reasonably spirited. Any thoughts about these well-reviewed Contis (which TireRack suggested)? I am thinking about using them because they're supposedly pretty decent in light snow (tired of switching back and forth from winter tires) while still being considered "performance" (at least compared to other AS tires). My only concerns are potential susceptibility to punctures given relative sidewall softness and excessively flabby ride, even for a non-speed racer like me. Many thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

If you currently have snow tires let me tell you....switching to all-seasons is an enormous step back. The DSW may be rated for light snow, but they offer probably 10% the snow and ice capability when compared to winter tires. The DSWs are great tire....but snow replacement tires they are not.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My car is currently wearing DWS06 and I have had it on there for close to two years. I live in Vancouver BC so we only get very light snow (wet and/or icy) and the once-in-a-while dump which is not more than 2 inches. The DWS06 performed well especially with our Quattro cars. Now, when I say performed well, it is not spirited driving on light snow. The DWS06 is an all-season tire which means it is only good to around 5-deg.C or 41-deg.F. Below that, it is still driveable but I'll have to slow down and brake ahead of time a bit more. When it is dry and warm (Spring - Summer - Fall), they are quite good for spirited drives. They won't be quite as good as summer tires but they're good enough for my requirements which is mostly mundate traffic commutes sprinkled with the occasional spirit driving.

FYI, the old DWS tires had very soft sidewalls. Not the DWS06. The sidewall stiffness is much improved.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had DWSs on a 2003 A6 for my last three winters of ownership, 2014-16. They were the best all-season tires I ever used on the 06 and Subarus before that. I became interested in these tires when I saw a TireRack comparison evaluation on youtube, where it easily beat out the competition there. That video would be several years old now, but it's probably still out there. I recommend DWSs to all friends and relatives, saying they are best for-snow & ice tires I've used this side of Blizzaks. Note that I live in Michigan: we don't get light snows, so my recommendations are for handling in seriously deep and icy roads. Also, spirited driving is the only kind of driving I do -every season, and I would emphasize the W in the name as well, because they are great vs. hydroplaning. I purchased my 2004 Allroad with like-new Pirelli Allroads; otherwise I'd have installed a new set of DWSs right away. I do not work for, nor own any part of Continental.

NB, Disclaimer: I don't know if current DWSs are as good -though I'd have to be convinced otherwise, nor whether there might now be even better tires out there. Today the only other options I would do research on are Michelin X-ICE XI3s and Nokians. The latter may be every bit as good and a lower-cost option.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the dws06 and love them. Nice looking tire from the back of the car and the grip
in wet and dry is very good. I was impressed with the snow grip as well and I come from a plow truck with all terrains. I’m happy with my purchase and would buy again.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're very good. On the second set on my '04 allroad. Got 45,000 mile on the first set. I live in Manhattan with the same crappy streets you have and find them to have decent performance coupled with enough snow and rain capabilities to get me where I want to go. I've had them in deep snow in Vermont and driven them at high speed on the LIE, no problem. Heads and shoulders above the awful Audi P6's that came with the car.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had DWS2's on my A6 and they were excellent, decent on a race track, great in the wet and rally-x, hard wearing.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How many miles are on getting on the DWS06

Hi all. It has been a long time I have posted here. I am curious how the tire wear is for this who have the DWS06. I have had mine for just under 30k miles and the shop I took to get state inspection for told me they barely have enough tread on them to pass. I was shocked since the rears are 5/32" and front ones are around 4/32". Just last year they were 8/32" all around. I'm not an agressive driver and drive mostly (80%) highway drive. I get the wheels rotated and balanced yearly and religiously monitor tire pressure bi-weekly. Anyone's tires wearing fast? Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Either these or the Michelin are THE go to all season tire. Being in PA, snow like NY is the same - DWS06 has been perfectly fine even up to a foot that I've driven in thusfar with them. Recommend without hesitation.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was a devout DWS for years when I had my 528 wagon. After it got totalled by some dummy talking on her phone, I picked up the '04 330Ci. The 330 had Pilot Sport A/S 3's with more miles on them than Nancy Pelosi's face, so the first thing I did was swap 'em out for DWS's. I was blown away by how much worse everything was! The ride was louder, harsher, and grip was less in ALL conditions with brand-new DWS's than the worn-out A/S 3's.

It's the only time I've ever returned tires. Went back to the shop and got new A/S 3's put on, and PSS for the summer. Best bang for the buck upgrade there is, IMO.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06?