Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Timing belt got damaged lost compression on bank 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 AM
Audiworld senior member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt got damaged lost compression on bank 2

Hi dear Allroad owners,

Last week my wife's 2.7t 2003 Allroad stopped running.
Engine has just arrived at 298.200 km and last timing belt was done 60.000 km ago by former owner.
When reading out the car computer with my Rosstech cable it told me the following:
VCDS Version: Release 18.9.0 (x64) Running on Windows 7 x64
Ross-Tech: Home
Address 01: Engine Labels: 078-907-551-AZA.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 907 551 Q
Component and/or Version: 2.7L V6/5VT G 0005
Software Coding: 11755
Work Shop Code: WSC 02325
Additional Info: WAUZZZ4BX3N045397 AUZ7Z0B2218085
VCID: 51A2881D9BBBA0C20A-5120
\
5 Faults Found:

16515 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1
P0131 - 35-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
17755 - Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P1347 - 35-10 - Incor. Correl. - Intermittent
16405 - Bank 2: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0021 - 35-00 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0011 - 35-00 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
17800 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163)
P1392 - 35-00 - Open Short to Plus

Readiness: 0000 0000

After I erased all faults and tried restarting the car only the following code came up:
17800 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163)
P1392 - 35-00 - Open Short to Plus

Reading a lot of comments relating these fault codes I ordered from Audi the camshaft position sensor for bank 2 and after I had replaced the sensor I still kept receiving the same fault code saying something wrong with the G163 sensor.
So then I took of the connectors at the main computer and measured resistance and for shortage between the sensor connector and the computer connector. All good as gold no issue at all with the wires.
I also double checked the crank position sensor ans measured around 967 ohm on the sensor itself and again also measured all the cables going from the connector to the connectors that hook upon the ECM.

A month ago I replaced the fuel pump and 2 weeks ago I replaced the fuel filter.
When I tried starting the engine I could clearly smell petrol fumes coming from the exhaust so sensors where probably not telling the computer to shut down the fuel pump.
Then I realized there is something worse going on and I took my compression tester took out a spark plug in bank 2 and measured compression but nothing came on the gauge and first I thought it may not seal properly inside the spark plug hole so I tried another spark plug hole in bank 2 and again zero reading.
Then I moved to bank 1 and tested and there all spark plug holes gave a decent reading.
So I concluded something must have gone wrong with the chain guide or timing belt.
Took of the timing belt cover in front of bank 2 and there it was a completely shredded timing belt. It still was on the cam wheel but half of the belt lengthwise had been ripped of.
I got the impression that the belt on the cam wheel of bank 2 might have jumped a few teeth and that messed up the timing that much that the camshaft position sensor lost the plot and the ECM decided to shut down the engine. Or even without intervention of the ECM the engine just didn't want to start properly since bank 2 lost all compression.
Every time I tried starting it sometimes gave a few rumbles as it was going to start but it never went longer then a few seconds.

So now to my question is it possible that when the the belt on the cam at the front has jumped a few teeth that this creates a situation where the cylinders can't build up any compression since the front doesn't line up anymore with the chain and cams at the back? Or is this the definite end of my valves and head on bank 2 since they got bend when this situation happen during driving?
I try to asses if it is worth investing all the money to try reanimate this engine or just give up on it. In the meantime I found another Allroad with only 61.000 km from 2004 and we already decided I am going to get her that one so she doesn't need to use my V10 for her daily commute.
When the valves + head needs replacement then I probably not going to do that and keep the car for spare parts. Especially since I invested a lot of new parts into this car during the last 4 years.
In case it's normal that bank 2 doesn't show any compression when the timing is of a few teeth then I might still order a new timing belt and tensioner + tools and get he engine running again and decide from there what I am going to do with her.

I hope anyone of you knows if lost of compression always automatically means bend valves. I had a look inside the cylinder with a camera probe and could not see any valve imprints into the head of the pistons. Happy to hear any tips how to best test this without the need of taking everything apart yet.

Cheers & lots of tears for loosing one of our nicest rides out here in New Zealand