Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tip Chip--Warranty Issue--Anybody try to get Audi to sign off on such a mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip Chip--Warranty Issue--Anybody try to get Audi to sign off on such a mod?

So, clearly the tip issue exists for those of us who are (un)lucky enough to have a tip. It seems, based on my reading, that Audi has to some extent agreed that this issue exists and tried to offer some fixes. (Maybe I'm reading to much into what I've seen.) I have seen people talking about new coding on 01/02 models without "S" mode etc.

Has anybody given thought to/tried to actually get Audi to agree to the installation of a tip chip without voiding your warranty? I am pretty concerned about warranty loss as I'm Audi Assured through nearly 2010 and don't want to drop that safety blanket!

Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They won't, I can guarantee that. Whats in it for them?

If they do it for one guy, they have to do it for anyone that asks. Considering a tranny replacment is $10,000...it's not in their best interest.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO.... Audi would never allow you to make the chip mod..

...it would open up too much liability for them, they have to research it evaluate it try it.. it takes a great deal of time and manpower for any monolithic company to bring a new part into their acceptance.

HOWEVER....this does not mean that a dealer will give you a problem with it. From what I understand it is an invisable mod. It doesn't show with VAG systems, the dealer will not have any reasson to look under the passenger's side floor at the trans ECU/controller. With the minimal road testing they give cars..they would not even know anything is different. No lets' say you have a trans problem... Audi Dealers do no open up transmissions, the drive the car see if it works and if it doesn't they call for a new trans and to a "trans transplant" It happened to me.. They don't open controllers, the don't check the gears, drop the pan, etc. They swap...

If I had a tip...I't would be in my car in seconds..
Old 03-24-2004, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No possible way to track it via Vag or otherwise?

I suppose if I'm paranoid I could replace it with the stock chip when it goes in for service---hard to swap?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would think these are really questions for awetuning.com
Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Every dealer is different.

That's what I've learned reading these forums, anyway. Some dealers have no problems continuing warranty coverage for cars with ECU and Tip chip upgrades. Others aren't so friendly.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm a lurker from the A4 forum .... but have some info

I've been keeping up on this forum for a little while until I can locate my ideal used allroad to trade up from my A4.

I have both the GIAC X-Chip and TipChip in my car. True it is undetectable by the dealer. I had similar concerns about warranty since the car was new and less than 18k miles on it when I had it done. However, I have not had a single issue with the car to date. Note that I do not street race, drag race or abuse the car. Spirited drives through the country every now and then. So, don't worry about your warranty or tranny. The chip actually help it to run more efficiently and cooler.

It can not be swapped out easily before going in to serivce (at least on the A4). The TCU is located behind the plastic trim cover on the right side of the passenger footwell.

At least on the 1.8t motors, the benefit of the TipChip is hardly noticable without the ECU chip installed. In talking to Garrett in person he explained how they work and that the TCU chip is designed to work best with the ECU chip.

Hope that helps, and if anyone is selling an Atlas Gray, 6-sp, anywhere in the mid-atlantic area, let me know!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Elder Member

It won't happen. More to lose than gain. Some dealers support mods; but, most do not.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I'm a lurker from the A4 forum .... but have some info

you can have mine!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's doesn't sound like you're happy with the car

I know there have been some posts from people not happy, but I haven't become familiar with all the names on this forum yet.

I see allot of complaining on tha A4 forums but I usually dismiss most of it. Thing like complaining about "how crappy" the clutch might be, but then wanting to know how to get better launches out of the car then to negate the arguement.

Quick Reply: Tip Chip--Warranty Issue--Anybody try to get Audi to sign off on such a mod?