Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

TIP Transmission Fluid Change High Mileage Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to it! Be methodical, persistent, patient & enjoy!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
Hi Papertoast,
probably you are the one of the very few Allroaders with this 221k with the original tranny. I have never ever heard of similar Allroaders including the diesel ones which are more or less long distance runners. Might be a record so off statistics. You may be a patient relaxed driver, or just lucky ?
not a relaxed driver here
stage 1 tune for the last 120k or so, haulin it up in the mountains, tearing it up around town, and even some offroading.
its been driven, not hard, but enthusiastically .
Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read through the thread, and see some conflicting advice. The myth that "changing high mileage trans fluid out for new fluid causes premature wear," is indeed a myth. Here's why:

A transmission filter is not a very fine filter, neither is an oil filter. Ok with that said, transmission fluid oxidizes, and circulates very, very fine particles of metal. The filter can not catch all the metal dust, and most of it is not magnetic so it continues to make its way though every circuit in the transmission. The oxidized fluid will wear out the lip seals of the pistons, and the teflon seals of the shafts, and stator.

The only reason why someone would suggest to leave the high mileage fluid in there is because the little metal dust in the fluid acts as a friction modifier on the steel surfaces of the clutch packs. It enables a little more traction for worn out clutches to grab.

I go to ZF seminars, and a lot of other transmission seminars for work, and the best answer I have heard, other than the general science posted above, is that no two transmissions are the same, so there is not really a definitive way to test the two concepts against each other.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to it! I got an XP laptop, Ross Tech vcds, a bentley manual cd & e-manuals repair manual download to help me monitor, diagnose, maintain & repair this car.
Two sets of jack stands & a fluid pump are needed too for a trans fluid/filter change.
Invaluable tip: make certain that you can get the fill plug loose BEFORE you pull the drain plug...

Last edited by LarryJa; 10-05-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LarryJa
Invaluable tip: make certain that you can get the fill plug loose BEFORE you pull the drain plug...
X2 on that advice. Its sometimes very hard to get off. I've had to use a breaker bar to get the fill plug
Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LarryJa
Mine is a C6 3.2 Quattro. I bought it with 151k miles on it.

I immediately planned to change the trans fluid & filter.
I changed both at 161k miles & just did a trans drain & refill at 165k.
So far, the trans is shifting better than when I got the car.

When I first bought the car, it had a soft & too early 1-2 shift. everything else was fine with the trans.

That soft shift cleared up after about 5000 miles. Apparently, this car hed been used very easily for mostly urban driving(granny style). So, the engine had a lot of carbon buit up & the trans had this soft & early 1-2 shift.
As I drove the car "assertively" & do a good number of 100mile highway trips, with particular & attentive maintenance, both of those issues cleared up.

I guess the moral of my reply is that I do not hesitate to do trans oil & filter changes on any vehicle. On a good trans, it'll keep it that way. On a sick trans, it'll clear it up or hasten it's demise. Either way, I've gotten out of limbo & can move forward.
So I am thinking I will do the drain and fill to start. Now foes this also change my front and center diffs? How much fluid do I need for just the drain and fill?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default complete flush

My car have 250,000 km on the clock. At 110 000 km (when I bought the vehicle) I made a renovation to the TC, Then I did a complete flush 9.5L. (The old TCC Dissolve metal chips To all the transmission) In 240000 I made Another complete flush But the old transmission fluid is completely clean, no chips. The main reason of Premature wear on The TCC is Switching gears in 4 Steps Especially when the shifting is done under high load And at low load it is done in 1-3 steps (Each step is a different level of friction in the TCC)
It is done to get a Better smooth shifting. In Allroad C5 TDI is from 2-5 gears and In 2.7 V6 is from 3-5

Last edited by amiram; 10-27-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did the filter and oil change and it is running great. I had a decent amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan. I used Pentosin ATF1 and a Meyle filter. I have a bit of a transmission pan leak at the moment however. About 1 - 2 drops an hour.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1 - 2 drops an hour

Originally Posted by jtozier
I did the filter and oil change and it is running great. I had a decent amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan. I used Pentosin ATF1 and a Meyle filter. I have a bit of a transmission pan leak at the moment however. About 1 - 2 drops an hour.
So, you're actually saying thet you did not finish the job.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You read correctly. I am picking up a new gasket today and going to drain, drop, and fill. Hopefully a different type gasket helps. The one I used is from meyle and is a paper one. I am wondering if a rubber gasket may be a little more forgiving. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: TIP Transmission Fluid Change High Mileage Survey