Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tire pressure monitor

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure monitor

Can you have a tire pressure monitor without the nav system? and if so, where is it?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes. Displays between tach and speedometer...

Once you set the desired pressure (you push the menu button by the armrest saying whatever you got is correct) if it varies too much (3 psi?) you get a warning symbol on the dash. It does not display the pressure of each tire or tell you which one is different than the reference level you previously set. I get out my tire pressure guage from the glove box and check each tire.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:52 AM

Any after market ones available?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes. I tried google and found an example...see URL

Cheaper is valve stem caps that show pressure setting. Electronic systems aren't cheap.<ul><li><a href="http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_sys_ad.htm?refad=GooTirePres">http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_sys_ad.htm?refad=GooTirePres</a</li></ul>
Old 04-07-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I use SmarTire and love it... Highly recommend it.

Placed the unit in the passenger footwell (behind/under the glovebox).

Have the remote display (which shows the pressure/temp for each tire) in the center console.

It has saved me once from having to change the tire... As soon as it hit my low tire threshold it alerted. Luckily I was near a Discount Tire and was able to get there before the tire was flat.

Only down side is if you are one of those people that likes Fix-O-Flat, it will ruin the transmitters inside the tires... So Fix-O-Flat products are a NO NO!

The "SmarTire Tire Monitor System" does not include the digital/remote display and runs for about $229

I recommend getting the digital display for the additional $49.

See the links below for pictures

http://www.xterraparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=060-1004&amp;Category_Code=

http://www.xterraparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=061-4001&amp;Category_Code=

Tire Rack sells it (or used to anyway), they will even premount the sensors if you buy your wheels/tires from them...

Highly recommended...

Gavin
Old 04-07-2004, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That symbol you are getting sounds like...

a failure to properly read the pressure. From what I heard, if any tire has a deviation, the system should warn you as to which tire is running low.

My tire pressure system has not worked properly for the past year.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes. Displays above the sat nav screen if both are activated and TP warning happens. . .
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: That symbol you are getting sounds like...

Two colors yellow for warning and red for more urgent warning.

The offending wheel is differentiated in the display.

If possible, here is what is the "best" way to get the thing set up.

1. Make certain the batteries are OK (you can do this or the dealer can)

2. Make certain the valve stems are not "rotten" -- my 2003 valve stems all had to be replaced at 19,000 miles (VERY EXPENSIVE -- thank you Audi advantage).

3. When COLD, inflate tires to desired pressure -- audiworld concensus seems to be front tires +2 pounds over rear tires (mine are 37 F 35 R on Z rated 245 x 45 x 18" Falken Azenis ST115's).

4. Start car, press menu button, activate TP monitor and "Store Pressures"

5. Drive off into the sunset.

From time to time a "vague" warning (yellow) will come on indicating that the system is "confused." This happens if you "get too near" another car that has the system and it has happened almost exclusively in VERY cold weather conditions.

This appears to reset itself if the car is turned off and restarted -- this warning does not contain a reference to a particular tire. Moreover, if multiple tires simultaneously need air, the "vague" light will come on and will NOT reset with a turn off turn on.

If you plan to keep your car (beyond 50K) -- do something, anything, to get the valve stems and batteries (in the wheels) replaced (by Audi) prior to the end of the Audi advantage -- they are $90 per wheel. Ouch!

Don't leave home without it.