Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tired of the sales pitches

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of the sales pitches

Am I wrong to say this? But does this website tolerate all the sales comments - this is a board for enthusiasts to share information. I don't think it's right for the guys to advertise for free by sliding in comments like the one this morning or the tire guys or the tech shops. At first it was ok, but now I'm finding it intrusive and annoying.
You businesses need to advertise if you want our business - that's how it works.
Cut the one-liners on your sales.

Be interesting to see what the webmaster has to input on this.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's a real difference between a pitch and a plug -

I see it as a service to all for members to recommend a good, trustworthy source for parts or service or, for that matter, food.

If the source posts its own boast, now you got an annoying pitch rather than a plug.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kind of funny of you to post this since you were "pitching" your warranties on the board for quite a

while. Maybe you will say that it was just a "plug " for valueable services provided by others, but I believe you got something out of it so it isn't just a clean "plug."

Or maybe I have it all wrong.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tony - 2 things going on here....

1. Paid advertisers on Audiworld can do whatever they want in the forums as far as shameless for sale posts and marketing/advertising their services. They run banner ads and otherwise advertise on Audiworld and posting promotions is part of their purchased package.

2. Other for sale posts in the allroad forum are against the Terms of Use, but we have little to no moderation in this forum so most slip by undetected unless we report them. The lack of moderation is generally a good thing as we seem to be one of the most mature and responsible forums on the site.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have bought from the pitches and plugs, it seems this is a target audience and when I need

something it's nice to see an offer available.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 AM

Default Huh?....Rant like as you would expect:)

I can understand your concern if it were blatant adds but I can't even figure out the one you are talking about for this morning unless it is for Hooters and I think he meant it as a joke...

There are so very few products and such that genuinely work for these cars and it very hard for some of us who are less informed or just end up in parts of the country where these products are not routinely advertised or these shops are so small that they really opperate almost solely on "word-of-mouth" types of transactions, which is how I define the vast majority of these comments....there are a few from people who are direct suppliers but someone please correct me if I am wrong but most of the folks posting those are also enthusiasts in their off time, so are they posting as good info to us who might otherwise not be aware of their products or are they hawking? I think the former. As far as the extended warranty stuff...EVERYONE lately wants that info and it apparently is not available in other sources so if people pass something along and someone benefits, as long as we are not being gouged...I feel it is just business between "friends"...the reason this board is not moderated is that most folks on this board can distinguish all of these things...but I will tell you as someone who has watched this Board for almost two years, when it becomes nothing but I put this big air intake on and hauled my engine out and (sorry 'Ed) these new wheels and tires I'm out of here. There are many facets to owning a car like this one and many of them involve our pocketbooks (wallets?) and I feel that exchanging information here on products and services, within reason, is well within the definition of enthusiast.

Even trying to sell our cars here, while not the letter of law with regard to usage is a public service in my mind...I'd rather buy a car from one of the folks here, where I know where "it has been" than from some guy off the street corner.

I for one would not like to think that we have an all knowing Oz-like moderator watching over our shoulders for every infraction...if you want nothing but nasty responses and chest-thumping tech discussion I suggest you wander over to the B5 S4 board and you can have at it, careful posting as they'll eat you for lunch, but...I bet they even have a moderator, or should
Old 06-09-2006, 07:34 AM

P.S. Remember there were only 30,000 ars ever brought here, that is a pretty small market.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh no, you have it right. Like many on AW,

I do not make a living in the car business yet I found a way to save other AW'ers some money on something I bought for my wife's beloved ar that is something they might also need, so I give advice for free all day long regardless of whether I personally have anything they can use.

Folks are free to accept or reject my offers of assistance off-forum, and to like or dislike what I may offer. If I don't offer to share what I learned about this industry and these products here on this forum, then those who care won't know about it at all and may not benefit. I believe another AW'er had a signature to the effect of "experience not shared is wisdom wasted" (I did not check Bartlett's to confirm the quote I read last month).

Plenty of rip-off artists (perhaps but not necessarily including some of the freely-pitching advertisers who help support this fine, free forum) make pitches that lead to stories of attempted pressure-selling of our friends on this board into overpaying, and I got tired of that happening here. I try to help some avoid this fate if I can with no obligation or expectations at all - such as confirming that I know of no price increases coming as one way to counter the pressure pitch complaints, for example - and you can ask around to confirm that.

If that's too "pitchy" for you, then I apologize. Please ignore my presence and insight, just as others may choose to ignore any of the opinions and advice so freely posted here.

(Okay, maybe I can't rise to the artistry of a Girlroad rant, but I can try a respecful retort in any case!)
Old 06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well put and no too "rant" like. I'm not saying that your offers are not sincere or valuable. I'm

just pointing out that there is a line crossed when you have stand to make a commercial gain based on posting here. Audiworld ToU drew the line, not me. As I posted separately in this thread - we are lucky that we are mature enough to not require moderation and therefore can get away with a little tip toeing over the line in our forum.

See Ex-PzKw for an example of how to best play the game. He offers assistance but is also very careful not to commercialize any of his posts even though he in an indep Audi technician and shop owner.

Quick Reply: Tired of the sales pitches