Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tires mildly cupped, getting noisy. Suspension components seem OK.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires mildly cupped, getting noisy. Suspension components seem OK.

Had this problem with the rear tires on my Mazda3, but attributed that to cheap asian rubber. Eventually became very noisy. Winter tires didn't have that problem, but the tread pattern was different (narrower tire).

So, now I have the Allroad for about a year, and I'm seeing same cupping. When looking at the tires from the back, I see alternating patches on the inside tread, some are black others are dusty. Feeling with my fingers, I know they're cupped. Like the Mazda, the Allroad developed tire noise.

The tires are Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero, so I know they're not a cheap tire. I feel it's the front that is making them cupped, since I rotated the tires the front was quieter, but now is getting noisier (after 3 months).

Alignment was done on the car. Didn't fix. Thought it was bad toe, but after doing some research, most point to suspension components.

No play is detected in any control arms. Next on the list are shocks. They aren't leaking and seem fine, although read that shocks that underperform can cause cupping.

Anyone else experienced cupping on their AR?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent had this experience on my allroad, but have had on motorcycles. Generally the culprit is the shocks; they keep the tires tread on the road. I think if we're other suspension components, you'd get all sorts of weird sounds, etc. worn shocks are harder to distinguish though looking at tread wear pattern is a really good indicator. Also would make more snse for FRONTS to wear quicker as it hold more weight and I believe your on the right path. How many miles on them shocks?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm saying your shocks are shot.
You can test this by pushing down on the car.
When it rebounds and bounces more than once, your shocks are dead.
Fronts only or rears as well?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I can't compare this AR against another AR, so its floaty nature I attributed to the air suspension. The car had 84K miles when I bought it, has 90K right now.

It definitely bounces more than A6 with stock spring suspension.

I suspect it's the shocks too. Don't want to spend $2400+ on OEM shocks for all 4 corners, but don't feel like Bilstein is the way to go either, since it's not made for the AR.

Darn.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver

I suspect it's the shocks too. Don't want to spend $2400+ on OEM shocks for all 4 corners, but don't feel like Bilstein is the way to go either, since it's not made for the AR.
I'd avoid Bilsteins. They're good, but not made for the AR.
And I assume you won't be doing the work yourself? It's not difficult to change out the air bags out... Well, it is difficult, but it's not very impossible. It's just a lot to do. Simple though. Not much to memorize.

Genuine Audi Parts has the best price on shocks. Carson doesn't ship anymore sadly
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would welcome the chance to do the work myself, but with 2 young children (one a toddler), I'll have to source this out to my indy.

I priced all 4 shocks with shipping to Canada from ECS plus taxes, hence my arrival at $2400, and that's before labour.

Seriously considering 2Bennet coilover suspension, cheaper price and gone are reliability issues with the air suspension. But no more level adjustments
Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

attributed that to cheap asian rubber
Not just a problem in the auto world! But seriously -

I had what I thought was cupping issues on my front tire of the A6 for a while with the directional tires that were on the car at purchase. Found out that it was not cupping, but heel-toe wear from the tires spinning in the same direction for 35k miles. Your original description didn't provide the clue that I was looking for; heel-toe wear is if you run your hand in the opposite direction the wheel spins it will be smooth, but if you run your hand in the same direction of the wheel it will feel choppy. Cupping will feel choppy in both directions.

It created a loud rumble at highway speeds because mine were so badly worn. Had to scrap the tires with plenty of life left on them. Switched to asymetrical tires so I could cross rotate, and no more problem.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

$2,400 is really closer to $3 grand once installation is factored in. . . That's a lot of dough. Do the conversion and spend the rest of that $$ on your kids (Christmas is right around the corner).
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jamesm0913
Not just a problem in the auto world! But seriously -

I had what I thought was cupping issues on my front tire of the A6 for a while with the directional tires that were on the car at purchase. Found out that it was not cupping, but heel-toe wear from the tires spinning in the same direction for 35k miles. Your original description didn't provide the clue that I was looking for; heel-toe wear is if you run your hand in the opposite direction the wheel spins it will be smooth, but if you run your hand in the same direction of the wheel it will feel choppy. Cupping will feel choppy in both directions.

It created a loud rumble at highway speeds because mine were so badly worn. Had to scrap the tires with plenty of life left on them. Switched to asymetrical tires so I could cross rotate, and no more problem.
I think my problem is compound: first, I have exactly what you're describing. Choppy feel when running the hand the same direction, but smooth in the opposite. Second, my wear is such that the patches that touch the ground on the inner tread are alternating.

In the first picture, you see the tread I'm talking about on the right (inner) side. The worn patches are alternating.

The second attachment shows an example of what I'm experiencing.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the first picture, you see the tread I'm talking about on the right (inner) side.
edit: that would be the left side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires mildly cupped, getting noisy. Suspension components seem OK.