Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touareg

Hi together,
what do you think about the vw touareg?
i think its a great car, but dont a audi...

Bye
justin

allybeal@gmx.de
Old 02-09-2003, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think its sweet for an SUV, but I don't like SUV's, I'll stick to the Audi's.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Touareg, Cayenne, Pikes Peak etc. vs. my needs

The Touareg (and Cayenne which is probably what would have been the Audi version of the Touareg) are still too truck-like to attract me but they seem a nicer design than the Audi Pikes Peak. The Pikes Peak seems huge and pointless to me but I am one of those who wants a more car-like vehicle rather than a tarted-up truck.

Neither the Touareg/Cayenne nor the Pikes Peak are what I am looking for -- and currently have in my allroad.

I want a vehicle that is comfortable inside and attractive outside -- and is substantial but not enormous. I also want a vehicle that handles and accelerates well on pavement but has the competence to deal with snow and rough conditions -- but not heavy-duty off road use. (The idea of scratching the paint and denting the fenders of a $40,000+ car is not attractive to me.)

Japanese SUVs are too huge and truck-like to attract me. Their new "crossover vehicles" are aimed at a youth market and a low price point and are also unattractive to me. I would not be surprised to see Lexus, Infinity or another Japanese marque produce a vehicle very like the allroad. The Subaru Outback was the very first vehicle of this kind and is a great success. The problem is that the Japanese make very few (if any) midsize station wagons on which to base an up-market version.

I regret that it is unlikely that I would seriously consider an American vehicle because of failings in design and manufacture.

Mercedes Benz recently announced that it will offer all-wheel drive on all its cars (or, perhaps, almost all.) I suspect that this will prompt BMW to do the same. This should lead to some very attractive cars of the sort that I am seeking.

Volvo already makes the XC70 Cross-Country which is attractive but a bit plain. I looked at it and rejected it in favor of my allroad. It was not a difficult decision. The Volvo XC90 is too huge and tall to attract me seriously. The same criticism applies to the M-B and BMW SUVs. I also have misgivings about the quality of either Saab, Volvo or Jaguar since they have to answer to Detroit. Sadly, it has been reported that the quality of the M-B ML320 SUV which is made in America is below that associated with Mercedes. (In fairness, I should note that the Subaru Outbacks are also made in American and are very high quality.)
Old 02-09-2003, 05:35 PM

Default The only thing the Touareg has going for it is......

.....that delicious 5L v10 diesel.

Yum! Yum!
Old 02-09-2003, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Pikes Peak is big...but more of a big car than a truck...

I've seen it in person...it is definitely a "crossover"...but leaning toward a large, athletic car than a truck.
I find the Pikes Peak...AWESOME...and more appealing than either the Touareg or Cayenne...too small...
Old 02-09-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Saw the infinity fx 35/45 and it is pretty nice-not too big...

and price for the 35 is right in there. High30s to low 40s . The 44 is around 50K. Pretty nice design. Could be a contender.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Like it a lot

The Touareg is on my short list for our next vehicle, but I plan to wait until the initial pent-up demand is satisfied and prices stabilize somewhat. From what I've read so far, it appears that VW has done a helluva job, especially considering that this is their first modern-day attempt at making a true SUV. There is a lot to like for anyone that's looking for something in this market. Nice interior, adjustable suspension with great clearance and off-road ability, strong towing capacity - all with strong performance and car-like handling. At least that's what the reviews say.

Another reason for waiting is to see how other buyers fare with reliability - I'm sure there will be problems that surface with the first batch to roll off the assembly line. I'm also skeptical of VW service especially here locally where I know of no dealers that would up to the task of servicing a true luxury vehicle. It's been awhile however since I've owned a VW so I am willing to give them another look. I wish it were an Audi because I really have grown to appreciate the local Audi dealer.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:41 PM

How does the size of the Pikes Peak compare with the allroad?
Old 02-09-2003, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A little larger...a little longer, and probably a little wider...but it is difficult to tell...

it has a more prominent, bolder grille and hood...making it look larger...

Overall, it is not huge...but it's gotta be a bit bigger than the allroad...