Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Clapping/ rattling noise from what I believe is front left suspension side

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clapping/ rattling noise from what I believe is front left suspension side

Hello guys

I own 2004 allroad with 99k. Every morning when I drive my kid to school (about 5 miles) I hear clapping/ rattling noise from what I believe is front left suspension side. I was thinking at first that I had some plastic liners or covers lose but checked everything. I can hear this rattling while driving even slow
over small bumps but the further I go(the more car warms up) I hear them less and less. On my way to work it completely disappears and there are no sounds coming from that area at all (sound is muted like it should) while driving over road imperfections.
I noticed this is more apparent when outside temperature is lower in the morning but when car warms up…I hear nothing unusual. Has anybody had similar problem? By the time I get to Indy shop car is already warmed up and nothing can’t be found. Not really sure how could it be suspension related but it sound like it. Any ideas? Please.
Not sure if that is related but car sinks overnight when parked on Level2. Level 3 still holds.

Thank you

A.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car had a similar sound, turns out it is a bolt in steering column. Not sure if this helps, but good luck
Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I also had a rattling that was intermittent; turns out it was a bolt in the transmission (manual) that was loose.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly the same issue was resolved with new control arms and shocks in the pront. Make sure you install a new shock mount, it may cause a problem.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hi Guys

Thank you for quick response. My car is 6MT indeed.

The part I cannot understand is how suspension or trans related issue would go away with car warming up (10 minutes of driving/few miles).

As a quick update. I warmed car today in the driveway before taking my daily trip to school... no rattles at all. Again when I was driving cold car before...rattling was apparent and gradually was disappearing.

how about that?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

my 04 6MT does the same? only when cold.
don't feel like leaving it at the dealer overnight but since it is CPO I guess I should...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

when cold, there are gaps between the rubber and the metal in the suspension parts. Getting warmer, parts expand, gaps disappear, the sound is gone. Tested multiple times, one fix - new parts.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the opposite. When car is cold nothing, but when it worms up it makes rattling noise. If it stays for 5 minutes idle the sound is gone. I thought it could be heat shield, but still can't find it. I took it to my body's GoodYear shop. We took the bottom plastic down while car was running but still nothing. He said, that noise is coming from outside and I shouldn't worried for right now. Any idea guys?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zawa
Hello guys

I own 2004 allroad with 99k. Every morning when I drive my kid to school (about 5 miles) I hear clapping/ rattling noise from what I believe is front left suspension side. I was thinking at first that I had some plastic liners or covers lose but checked everything. I can hear this rattling while driving even slow
over small bumps but the further I go(the more car warms up) I hear them less and less. On my way to work it completely disappears and there are no sounds coming from that area at all (sound is muted like it should) while driving over road imperfections.
I noticed this is more apparent when outside temperature is lower in the morning but when car warms up…I hear nothing unusual. Has anybody had similar problem? By the time I get to Indy shop car is already warmed up and nothing can’t be found. Not really sure how could it be suspension related but it sound like it. Any ideas? Please.
Not sure if that is related but car sinks overnight when parked on Level2. Level 3 still holds.

Thank you

A.
It's not "warming up", it's the suspension reaching maximum air supply.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
It's not "warming up", it's the suspension reaching maximum air supply.
meaning what? bad pump?