Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Trunk/hatch-mounted bike rack suggestions? Saris?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:22 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk/hatch-mounted bike rack suggestions? Saris?

I am looking for a rear-mounted bike rack to supplement my roof racks, but am having some trouble figuring out what's compatible. Have my eye on the Saris Bones (link below), but it's not clear if this will work with my '02 allroad. Any suggestions much-appreciated.

https://www.saris.com/product/bones2

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what your preferences are. For myself, I prefer not to put weight on the hatch glass. I have two options for carrying bikes on my 02 allroad. One is the Thule bike rails on my cross bars (but you must have cross bars to do that), the other is a hitch-mounted bike rack (but you must have the trailer hitch for that). My guess is that ether of those options would be "better" overall, but obviously more expensive that what you posted.

Those trunk/hatch mount bike racks fit any car out there and are fairly inexpensive...but not the best option IMHO.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swagman Chinook 2

Originally Posted by KDL
I am looking for a rear-mounted bike rack to supplement my roof racks, but am having some trouble figuring out what's compatible. Have my eye on the Saris Bones (link below), but it's not clear if this will work with my '02 allroad. Any suggestions much-appreciated.

https://www.saris.com/product/bones2

Thanks.

Swagman Chinook 2 bike carrier w/fat tire trays
Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KDL, I used this Thule rack on a 2003 A6 for a few years and kept it when I moved to my 04 allroad. The Thule Guide at their website confirms the fit. Disclaimer, though, I have not used it on the allroad because I got the allroad in large part so I can just toss in my bikes -up to two. More expensive new than most others, but I strongly recommend it for the ease of installation and easy mount and dismount, as well as the secure fit and stable hauling of bikes of various designs and weights: I have five, including a 50-pound electric. I have not tried any children's bikes, nor have I driven more than 10-15 miles with the electric, nor with two bikes. Otherwise, with one bike, on the A6, I could go 70 mph without an issue. Strong, secure, adjustable cables: No straps to have to adjust and re-adjust on the road. My Raceway is a 2014 or 15 model that I got on discount at Amazon well into the next model year. The difference between mine and recent and current ones is that the bars can move horizontally which probably makes it even more accommodating. My model also has heavy metal hooks to secure the cables and I recommend wrapping some duct tape around these to protect your paint. This does it and I never left a mark on the A6 that I sold to a friend. Happy hauling and riding!
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-pro-2-_-1685473