Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Turbo blown after 65K

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo blown after 65K

Damn it...15k after warranty this thing makes a dive on me?
W/O extended Warranty it really is going to be a mess. While browsing through the forum I've found pricetags between $1600 and up for a replacement.
Guess I have to pick up the tab at this time.
Now my question, would it make more sense to upgrade to the 04's or stay with Stock? Would be a Money issue I assume but the Stock turbos did a great Job so far.
Recommendations and Donations are welcome...;-)
Thx.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Before you ante up. Call AoA cust service.

Have your service history ready, good customer..next Audi in the near future, etc...ask to speak with the zone rep. They sometimes help out and you could find it complementary or 50-50 ore nothing... but its good to call and be polite above all.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:16 PM

Stupid question - how do you know its a turbo?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Elder Member

Default Where you at? Remember it's extended for us crazy Californians.

Least they could do with all the other $hit they dish out!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default if CA you have 7 years (emissions device), but ya Call AOA and ask if they can

provide you some type of after warranty coverage on such a major part.

And why do you think it's the turbos?

And if all the above doesn't work out, then absolutely go with the K04's
Old 02-09-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: if CA you have 7 years (emissions device), but ya Call AOA and ask if they can

Thanks, I'll call AoA to find out if they are willing to help out bit.
Well, how do I know it's the Turbo? Sound like a Jet engine but way too loud, loss of power and finally, today it came to rest totally, now it sounds like a "Cat in a Blender", just screaming for air and no pressure at all, at least on one cylinder bank. If I have right now 130-150 Horses then I'm lucky, it really feels like that.
And...it's not my first Turbo charged Car that blows up the Turbo. So GIAC Folks keep an eye on your Engine. I've got about 40k with the Chip and use only Mobil-1.
I replaced already the Chip with the Stock chip...in case Audi wants to take a look ;-).
Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Stupid question - how do you know its a turbo?

Please see response to Milpitas2.7T

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Before you ante up. Call AoA cust service.

always...I'll try to be polite, Thanks.
Maybe another reason to upgrade the Turbos...if the Stock Turbo can't handle the pressure, but we'll see.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good luck to you...

I sure hope AoA decides to help you, and I applaud your first position... that AoA isn't responsible, and that anything they are willing to do is a bonus.

Maybe I shouldn't stick my nose into this particular fray, but it seems to concern me as another Audi owner... and its impact that such claims have on the ability for the rest of our community to make claims.

Honestly - good luck getting AoA to help you out. I mean that... I hope they do help, as a matter of fact. After finding out that you have a pretty serious/pricey automtive problem, there's nothing quite as satisfying as finding out that someone else will pay for it... just because.

BUT.... it does raise the question if it is legitimate to ask for warranty work after an owner has "chipped, hyperboosted, filtered and Super-Sprinted" their 65k mile car.. and their car has ended up damaged as a result.

In my mind, there's no question about it: AoA should stand behind their product... and they do a pretty good job of it (comparitively speaking)... and if the turbo blew as a result of a manufacturing flaw, then they should definitely pony up and fix it for you....

But if someone blows a turbo because they mod their cars beyond the range of how Audi designed their cars to operate ... and it's outside of warranty range to begin with (even with an extension to 70k miles for 'emissions equipment')... well, let's just say that I'd be hard pressed to back that call if I was making the decision at AoA.

Audi has had to suffer though enough of these claims... and look at how they are responding: chastity belts on the ECUs, and educating their dealerships to look for reasons/ways to deny claims. Dealerships don't care - they get paid to do work... whether it's owner's dollar or Audi's.

I daresay that claims of these natures are making it it tougher to get slightly-less-shady-warranty work done on non-modded cars.

(shrug) Moral of the story: If you broke it... then you oughta be ready to buy it.

Still, good luck - I'm hoping AoA covers you... (and that they don't have a rep reading this board)

YMMV, ICBW.

-Rhumble
'01 Your Mileage May Vary
'98 I Could Be Wrong
Old 02-09-2004, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So how do you define when the turbo blows because of a user mod or because of the known

Manufacturing defect? Most turbo cars are modified a great deal more then the Audi, yet the KKK K03 Borg Warner turbo's seem to fail and 95%+ are the passenger side turbos.

Why? A) the reported and known QA, manufacturing flaw straight from Borg Warner B), maybe a poor lubrication design on the part of Audi or a combo of both.

My allroad 16K miles, passenger turbo, others here with stock cars turbos blew, S4's with less then 100 miles boom, 1500 miles boom and some that have no issues.

We have also found that quite a few cars have crimped oil lines from the factory, a chip caused the turbo to blow, no sir...

And AOA stancs to cover their own *** is BS, prove to me that my part caused the failure and your absolutely right I should pay. But one looks at a modification and says that caused the turbo to blow, warranty void, is just trying to save money and screw the consumer. Turbo warranty denied for adding BPVs, an air filter, a catback (yes all the above has happened).

AOA's stance and their gestapo tactics are BS, when good mechanics are afraid to touch a car because AOA may not pay the bill, is BS. You have mechanics that have a huge loop hole, no can't touch that because you have a sway bar.

Sorry but my Mitsubishi had larger turbos, blah blah blah, and they had to pull the car apart (with my parts) numerous times to fix oil leaks (not turbo related).

So ya, maybe it's not a good thing to get into this discussion/argument. You do have some valid comments, but anyone that cites that a chip is the sole reason for turbo failures are on crack.. DSM's, RX7's, 300ZX, Supras have all modified their boost and their turbo failure rates are much much much less then the Audi line of turbo charged cars.

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Turbo blown after 65K