Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Turbo lag revisted - service success story

Old 11-24-2001, 07:08 AM
AYP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo lag revisted - service success story

I have a 2001 tip and had the "turbo lag" problem talked about earlier in this forum (hesitation on quick acceleration). I thought it was something I would have to live with on an otherwise perfect car. However, I mentioned it to my dealer on my 5K service. He said he would road test it and "change some initial settings". When I got the car back, the hesitation was gone and the car actually felt faster! It also fixed the hard shift problem from 1st to 2nd when cold, although this never bothered me. To top it off, my loaner car was another ar.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:58 AM

So how did they fix it?
Old 11-24-2001, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes tell us what they did to fix...sometimes WE need to educate the Service Dept.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:58 PM

Default Fix is here

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/8519.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/8519.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-24-2001, 07:16 PM
AYP

Default Re: So how did they fix it?

All I know is what the service tech told me - they were going to reset some initial settings. I guess they did some kind of retuning. There is a temporary fix that Skidad refers to - depressing the gas pedal all the way before starting the car. What they did at the dealer seems to have the same effect, except it is automatic. You don't have to depress the gas pedal before starting to make it work.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Fix is here

I've tried that "fix" in the link to no avail. Congrats to those for whom it worked.... I'm curious what AYP's fix was--it sure doesn't sound like his fix involves the gas pedal "trick", but rather he seems to be describing some type of permanent fix.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:24 AM

Default Hey AYP, Can You Get the Details from your Tech ??

I've got major cold engine issues...if their is a fix, my dealer (tech) and I would love to know.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:19 AM

Default The cold engine tune-down is to protect your turbos - I use a different "fix" for tranny lag

And it's "permanent" too.

Keep it in 4 around town, not D.

D is an overdrive. IMO all Tip Audis need to be driven in 4 except on the highway. Otherwise you're forced to kick it down with the throttle to get any power. It's just more pronounced on the ar.

Not that I'm not interested in hearing the "mechanic's fix."
Old 11-27-2001, 04:34 PM
AYP

Default Here is the dealer info:

I'll try to call them to get specifics, but since I have some other pressing issues in my life right now, it may be awhile. The dealer is Don Rosen Audi in Conshohocken, PA.

When I explained it to them, they seemed to be very familiar with it and were confident they could fix it (which they did).
Old 11-28-2001, 05:35 AM

Default I Sent an E-Mail to the Dealer Inquiring about the "Fix"

I'll call them if I don't get a response in the next couple of days....The cold engine shifting on my ar is brutal, I can't get a remote starter installed, and an engine block heater is a bit of a hassle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo lag revisted - service success story