Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Update on AWB extended warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on AWB extended warranty...

Autowarrantybroker.com used to be quite popular here, but I don't see it mentioned much any more. I bought their Premier Plus exclusionary policy (now called Platinum I believe) in July 04, about 9 mos before the factory warranty on my '01 expired. The policy was for 5 yr, 100k mi, and $25 deductible, and cost me about $1.8k while they offered a discount.

Just after the AWB policy kicked in I had to replace an axel boot, air shock, air compressor, and oxy sensor. Total cost $2551.58 for AWB, $25 for me. My ar now has 67K mi on it. Yesteday I picked it up from Eurotech with another new air shock and oxy sensor. Total cost $1144.58 for AWB, $25 for me. I couldn't be more pleased with this warranty.

The ar will no longer be my daily driver, but I plan on keeping the car until the 5 yrs is up on the warranty in the summer of '09. As much as I enjoy the ar, it has not been reliable, eg, two replacement TC's and one tranny under the factory warranty in addition to the ext warranty work.

Spyder
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had their policy as well, satisfied for the most part...HELLO again allroaders!

Stopping by to say hi to everyone here...I haven't posted here since Dec. '05, but I was around here from the beginning; I traded my '01 allroad in February '06. I had over 90k on her, and the dealer said it was the cleanest car they had ever seen with that many miles. I was pleased to get $13,900 for her toward the Toyota FJ Cruiser I now own. Totally different driving experience, of course...but I'm enjoying it. Only thing I'm really missing is that burst of twin-turbo excitement...oh well, I digress.

I racked up about $7500 worth of repairs (including a rebuilt transmission) while under my AWB warranty, and only paid the $25 deductible as well for each repair instance. I figure I saved $5400 because of that warranty, and then received a $370 pro-rated refund when I cancelled it.

The only complaint I really had with them was after the transmission failure, they had to be 'persuaded' to cover a claim for a left air spring when they had already covered the right one several months back. It was like I had reached a dollar threshold and they were trying to keep from covering anything else after that. So I would be prepared for a fight down the road if I was you, at least if your claims continue to rack up high dollars.

Because of that, and also because of the fact I was nearing the 100k mark, I thought it was time to give her up to avoid any future major repair costs.

I do miss the car, and still think it's the best thing out there for the combination of utility and sportiness. But I could no longer justify the high cost of having the luxury of both. I also miss the great forum you guys have here!

Enjoy your allroads, everyone...I can assure you that no matter how long you keep her, the time you have together will be too short!

Regards,
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Had their policy as well, satisfied for the most part...HELLO again allroaders!

Well, I'm pushing $4k paid on claims so far at 67k mi. AWB has been totally cooperative with Jose at Eurotech on all claims, which may have something to do with Jose's knowledge and manner when it comes to dealing with the adjuster.

This is the first car for which I've bought an extended warranty. My other two cars are a '91 NSX and an '87 BMW 5er with 190k mi, both of which were bought new, maintained by me, and had no unusual repairs out of warranty. I've chosen to let Jose do the maintenance on the ar b/c he's an excellent Audi mechanic, and I'm hoping it'll minimize the chance of warranty challenges down the line. This strategy has worked so far.

Spyder