Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Voltmeter down from 14 to under 12....could it be a problem with the solar fan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltmeter down from 14 to under 12....could it be a problem with the solar fan?

Very warm here, over 90 degrees so fan may have run all day...obviously it is supposed to be solar powered but has anybody had any experience with it causing loss of voltage...if not this then what?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Voltmeter down from 14 to under 12....could it be a problem with the solar fan?

It sounds like your alternator is not charging the battery . If you cannot bring the voltage up over 13.25 and your battery has all good cells I would have that checked. I have no idea what you think the solar fan is. Unless you have large solar panels attached to the top of your car it is unlikely that you have a solar powered fan.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default DON'T drive this car before this situation is clear. If it is caused by a bad generator, the car

will stop running suddenly when the battery is dry.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd, have your battery checked... Do you know how old it is?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Solar fan = Warm weather package?

Wasn't this an option? When the car is off and if it got too hot inside, the sunroof will open a little to air out the car. However, I'm not sure if the fans run to circulate the air.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Alternator I would guess. Unfortunately no matter what the problem....

Is your going to have to bring it to the shop. I hope your covered by a warranty otherwise it could be an expensive fix. Hopefully its just the battery. But if the voltage stays steadily below 12V then chances are the Alternator is not charging. Lets us know what it is. Good luck....
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default check list.....

Drive Belt on the alternator, cracked, loose, etc. Check the Alternator itself.

I would put a trickle charger on the car overnight just to "top off" the battery.

Off to Autozone in the morning to power test both the alternator and the battery.

Then probably to your indy for the alternator which in the AR is a big labor intensive job.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default agreed prob alternator, not solar

solar roof uses the same blower as A/C just uses a relay to switch from car voltage to solar when key is turned off. If it is the Alt. ,may want to step up and do the T belt if not done since the front end will have to be moved forward.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Battery is a little over a year old...charges to 14 overnight and on driving....

only dropped yesterday during the day, hence wondering about the solar fan as nothing else was "on"...timing belt done about 9 months ago, they can't "remember" if they did the water pump too or not.

will be taking it in promptly. Thanks all.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Since you said it was hot all day, the battery simply may have run down normally.

If the alternator is charging the car normally, which it probably is, and the battery is in good condition, then check that the current draw from the battery is as specified when the solar roof is in operation. I'd think that when the solar roof is in use, it would run the fan w/o any current draining from the battery. That's the idea behind solar power, of course. Something else may be drawing current or there is a problem with the solar unit in that it's not switching from battery power to solar power.

Quick Reply: Voltmeter down from 14 to under 12....could it be a problem with the solar fan?