Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Warning Light Trifecta

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warning Light Trifecta

Yes, again........

We had this show up intermittantly on our '04 2.7 Tip, but it always went away when we restarted the car, and sometimes stayed away for months at a time. Finally, it started doing it fairly regularly and since our warranty expires in Dec this year, we thought we'd get it fixed, and have the oil changed. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem and there were no codes stored, but that if it happened again to let them know. My wife drove the car home - 8 miles - and took this pic in the driveway. I called them back and set another appointment, and being a loyal follower of the forums, I knew it had been said emphatically many times that it was the brake lite switch causing the problem, but when I relayed this info to my service writer he said something to the effect that "those internet guys come up with all kinds of crazy ideas. Better let my techs find out what the real problems is, chances are we'll need to order you a new cluster"

?!?!?!?!?!?!

I sent him links to articles on this forum and a couple of others (VW's have the same problem) and still he scoffed.

The morning I took it in I asked again if he was going to totally discount what others had done to fix the problem simply and easily and he said they'd "check it out"....

2 pm I get a call that the car is ready, when I asked what they did he said...............wait for it...............

Yep, A NEW BRAKE LITE SWITCH!

;-)
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good story!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

And yes, that really is only 41K on a 2004 allroad!

My wife loves this car and can't imagine herself owning anything else, so I guess after the warranty period expires in Dec, we're on our own.......I'll really be looking to this forum for continued help then.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is rocking an 04 tip 2.7t and I would strongly recommend talking to Bruce M for one of his INDS extended warranties. Her car just turned 60K and has needed enough work this year to justify the buy in.

Had a seat heater go on us, and brought it in to be looked over. They fond a torn CV, bad control bushings and a list of other things to the tune of $2k+.

I just dropped the car off for a check enigne light which turned out to be the torque converter failure. I happen to have a early/mid 2004 car before they updated the TC.

Now while in for the TC, the belly pan was removed and they found coolant. Turns out the water pump had begun to fail. Have not hear back on approval of this yet, but INDS has been good so far. I trust between them and Bruce as out advocate, all will be fine.

My INDS warranty is to 100k. I suggest you have a conversation before you go it alone.

Originally Posted by allroaddave
And yes, that really is only 41K on a 2004 allroad!

My wife loves this car and can't imagine herself owning anything else, so I guess after the warranty period expires in Dec, we're on our own.......I'll really be looking to this forum for continued help then.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd be interested to see what they have to say, would you please PM me contact info for the warranty?

Since she only drives about 5k a year, the time (and cost, of course) will be more important than the mileage limitation. We're under the Audi Certified used car 6yr/100K warranty right now........

Since our car was originally sold in 12/03, I expect it's an "early car" too. Haven't heard about a torque converter problem before tho......