Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

what's better v6 or v8

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's better v6 or v8

dumb question...I know, but here is my dilema! help.
Hey guys,

I've owned an 2001 allroad since 04 (bought with 38K). Now, I have 90k and tip tranny (bad Coverter seal) is on the the way out, plus cats, and exhaust temp+timing belt needs change. I need a newer allroad as repairs will cost me over $5K at Indy. Started looking to trade up.

Here is what I found for sale:
1. 2004 (sold 12/2003) with 4.2L V8 - 76K miles and tip with newer converter seal. Had two owners (42K in New York+34K in Oregon), but the car is under CPO, but non-transferable for some Audi dumb policy reason. This used car lot dealer is selling it for $14K to me plus will take my trade for $8,500. It has 18" wheels and Michelins with lots of tread left. I love the engine sound and love the fact that is does not have timing belt. I drives nicely. I hear the city MPG (most what I drive to work) is the same stinky 16mpg as in V6. I that true?
2. 2005 (sold 10/2005) with 2.7L V6 - ONLY 3,500 miles!!!!!! It has 17" wheels with fast wearing Goodyears. Has 12 months of Audi inclusive warranty left and they will add 3 more years + 50k miles of after market Fidelity Warranty Service! Is it any good???? It is platinum mechnial failure coverage.
I got the price down to $24.5k and they will give me $8k for my 2001 allroad. It has the new Audi MMI Navi.

Which one should I buy as I am planning on driving the thing for 3-4 years? I don't want to lose too much money and I did lose $18K with my 2001 in 4 years.

How reliable is the V8 engine and how many miles before I would need to spend big $$$?? What is the MPG in the city? My old V6 was getting 16-17mpg.

I am not planning on chipping the car as I feel the car has plenty of power, but the lag in the tranny is annoying and the V8 has less of it, it seems. Is that true?

any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Default should have had a V8?

If you aren't looking to tune the 2.7t and you don't want a stick then the 4.2 is a good fit.

Personally I think putting $5K into your current car may be the best option. In the end $5K is far less than what you will pay to 'trade up' and the car will probably run great for another 90K miles. I would have the car looked over for any other issues like turbos... just in case.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Default get the V6

76K is not a low mileage car. esp as you don't know its history... I agree with previous post that putting the money into your current car may be the smartest move...
3500 miles is basically a new car... aftermarket warranties suck!!!! get genuine Audi warranty or don't get one...

I am confused though as you are sort of comparing an apple to a whole basket of apples. your car $8000, ALMOST 2 OF YOUR CAR $14000, 3 OF YOUR CAR $24,500
You could buy your current car 3 times. for the price of the new one!

If i was lucky enough to be able to afford a $24,500 car I would get it over a $8000 car ...
Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The benefits of aftermarket warranties are well documented...

here. BruceM (brucem105@comcast.net) can assist you with facts. Any ar you purchase a warranty for with less than 50K could be close to expense free for years. Aftermarket warranties exceed CPO coverage in some cases. Mine has paid for headlight washers, CV boots, tranny pan gasket, VC gaskets, cam seals, blower motor, air springs..........
Warranty coverage would make whatever choice you make a good one.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default aftermarket warranties suck

Not true, I paid $1,699 for a Maxcare 3/36 warranty for my 32k mile 04 Allroad, and in one year they have paid paid out $11,000 for warranty repairs:

TC
Tire pressure module
transmission
bushings
both front suspension air bags

so for $1,699 I saved $11k and I still have 2/24 left.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 AM

Default Re: The benefits of aftermarket warranties are well documented...

Thanks for the responses!

Audi said that since the 05 only has, then the owner did not do any maintenance work during the 3 years of ownership. Audi USA will not allow the dealer to give CPO or any other AUDI direct warranty. Therefore, they want to sell me Fidelity Warranty (mechanical failure coverage). They want $2180 additional 3 years or 48K miles with $100 deductible) beyond 1 year of Audi factory warranty left. It seems crazy for me to buy the coverage now. Would it be better to wait until next year and purchase from Bruce? Audi calls this warranty Audi Pure Protection, which sounds nice to have, but I read some bad stories about Fidelity.

The car is like new, but is it worth $10 more than V8. I drove the 05 and the mileage sucks even when cruising. It is way worse than my 01. Is it because it is not broken in yet.
V8 is seductive.
My 01 is going to have other problems as the turbo will eventually go ($2K). The air pump and other things since my was the first one and parts used were not perfected yet. 2004 may have more (frwy) miles, but is 3 years newer and many things have been improved such as torque converter and air system.

I agree that paying 2-3 car's price is nuts, but that is the resale on Audi, especially 01 as is widely known to be fairly unreliable and nobody can get blue book value.
Either way I need to get a loan and have a big car payment is not fun.

I would love 6spd, but my wife often drives our ar and cannot drive a stick.
My ar has:
1. leaking valve cover and cam seals
2. both cats reporting sick on VAG
3. exhaust temp sensor G2 is bad
4. torque seal on tranny is bad and the tranny is starting to shift funny.
5. AC fan when at higher speed is making weird sound
6. should have new timing belt and water pump since I am near 105k recommended change.
7. drivers side mirror is busted (shopping cart encounter) $300 to replace, yikes! I put a basic mirror for now for $15 that I cut to size.

I was think that $14k is not bad providing that V8 is not mechanically shot. It is mostly frwy miles so the air pump and other thinghs have not been subjected to as much wear and tear as mine since it is 3 year newer. My $8K ar plus $5K or more in repairs puts me around $13K.

What do you guys think? Any known issues with V8?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 AM

Default Which warranty do you have Finiki? Is it Fidelity?

They want $2180. is it worth $2180 for additional 36 months or 36K? I already will get one year or about 15K from Audi. Should I wait until that expires and then buy it.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 AM

is MAXcare the best waranty? Is it mechanical coverage or inclusive?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 AM

is MAXcare the best waranty? Is it mechanical coverage or inclusive?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I bought Universal now known as Zurich, exclusionary....

$2300 for 4 yrs or to 100K, $100 deductible.
But again, Bruce is the resident expert, he has forgot more than I know. He has provided much information & sold a number of policies to contributors here. Have not heard anyone complain.

Quick Reply: what's better v6 or v8