Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Where are the glow plugs on my 2.5 TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allankennedy
Nope - I still can't find them - please read on

I have the Elsawin workshop manual showing exploded views of the cylinder heads and the glow plugs do not appear on these.

I have spent several hours surfing Google images and Audi forums and so far the detail of how to access the glow plugs of the BAU engine has escaped me.
I can see that there are some connectors, 3 on either side, just above the camshaft covers, each of which vanishes into a hole in the inlet manifold casting. Can someone please tell me that these do NOT feed the glow plugs because if they do it appears that a major operation will be needed to access them ? If you have encountered this problem, or know anyone who has please advise me.

Thanks in advance Allan
Glow plugs installed in a cylinder heads in a vee of the engine, near of intake manifolds. You can find them by the black thick wires with rubber Г-angle caps.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope - I still can't find them - please read on

I can see that there are some connectors, 3 on either side, just above the camshaft covers, each of which vanishes into a hole in the inlet manifold casting. Can someone please tell me that these do NOT feed the glow plugs because if they do it appears that a major operation will be needed to access them ? Thanks in advance Allan
That's them , on the edge of the camshaft cover on the V centre side, they have an elbow connection on them.

regards

Andy
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
That's them , on the edge of the camshaft cover on the V centre side, they have an elbow connection on them.

regards

Andy
Thanks Andy - I think I'm finally realising that is where they are but they look b---y awkward to access ? I guess the only way will be a 10mm deep socket ?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having this done on mine right now after a leak since they are in there. After reading this glad I'm getting them to do it. Super interesting though.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Andy - I think I'm finally realising that is where they are but they look b---y awkward to access ? I guess the only way will be a 10mm deep socket ?
Yes, correct. Deep socket 10 mm (more then 70 mm length) necessary for removing.