Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N'Syncro
I'm on the fence. I can get a European one for about $800. Yours looks great, but I know shipping up to Canada would kill any cost savings (and possibly then some). I don't mind spending the money but I've to actually buy something I need to tow. lol. That'll hopefully change soon though as i'm considering a seadoo or a couple sleds.

So long story short, i'm about 40/60
That may be true, I will have to see what shipping costs are for Canadian customers.

Last edited by JustMtnB44; 10-25-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quoting JustMTB: The only other thing is on my car I had to cut a small notch in the plastic on the removable rear "skid plate" part, but it is on the bottom and not visible.

I had to do this to get the wiring plug assembly to swing down when I installed my Bosal hitch. Probably a common approach.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Avant

I have a 2011 A4 Avant. If this hitch will fit my vehicle I would be interested.

bgaddey@socal.rr.com
Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

to Justin,
Congratulation !! it looks nice and i am sure it is as strong as the OEM from Westfalia that i have already installed on my AR 2003. Mine has reinforced to put a "weight distribution" trunnion / shank for me to tow a "travel traler" (TT).
I am planning to buy a 2nd AR this fall (certainly a 2005), and i will look for a hitch. I will be one of your client for sure !!!
Again congratulation for your design.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr.B
I have a 2011 A4 Avant. If this hitch will fit my vehicle I would be interested.

bgaddey@socal.rr.com
Definitely will not fit, sorry.

Originally Posted by AudiQC
to Justin,
Congratulation !! it looks nice and i am sure it is as strong as the OEM from Westfalia that i have already installed on my AR 2003. Mine has reinforced to put a "weight distribution" trunnion / shank for me to tow a "travel traler" (TT).
I am planning to buy a 2nd AR this fall (certainly a 2005), and i will look for a hitch. I will be one of your client for sure !!!
Again congratulation for your design.
Thank you!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hitch

I'm interested for my A6 Avant. Problem for me is the time frame as I need to make a decision ASAP on waiting for this or slapping a Curt on there so I can tow next week.

I'm not an engineer but I do know a thing or two about towing. The ratings given for tow ratings have as much to do with the vehicle as the strength of the actual hitch. From country to country you also have to look at marketing and liability issues.

Regardless of the engineering data you need to think about what you are doing to the car and especially what the transmission can take. You also need to look at the GVWRs for the axle and total and not exceed those, which 5,000 pounds would certainly do. A blessing here is the manual shift option so we can adjust shift points to match the load. Also it's generally discouraged to tow in overdrive, although everyone does it. Watch that trans fluid and change it. It's going to get burnt pretty quick towing three to four thousand pounds.

My GMC van has the same hitch from the factory across the line. Max rating changes on every vehicle across the line and varies from 10,000 down to 4,000. All dependent on suspension & drive-train.

I think it's a great design and I appreciate that it's being made available.

Last edited by Speedy72t; 05-24-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
These can be shipped from Canada (Windsor, ON) as well to save on shipping costs for Canadian customers.
Sweet! That would help lower the costs a ton. I'm just a little swamped. Trying to sell 2 cars and a house right now. I'll continue to watch this thread closely though!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would absolutely like to buy a hitch. How best to contact you and when do you think the hitch will be available?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great thanks. We haven't set up how to order them yet. You can contact me through PM here. I hope that they will be available in about a month or so.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

not ready to buy soon but once i get some extra scratch id def be interested

Quick Reply: Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.