Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

why does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does this happen?

didnt really get too much satisfaction by searching -- tho there is some discussion -- regarding half-open throttle response. And now that I've had my ecu flashed (4.2) its even more noticeable. Dont know if this happens with 6MT as I've only had tips: previous 2.7T and now 4.2

When cruising along --as in a merge onto highway -- with rpms somewhere between 2-3k I'll hit pedal half way or less and the car jumps -- really strong acceleration and will continue doing so if I dont back off. Other times if I floor it under same conditions, the acceleration is less immediate and less strong -- as if the engine's brain is processing the request and slowly metering out the power. Its not that it bothers me,rather that its just counter-intuitive. Is it just the quirky drive by wire phenom or something else?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I knew..but mine(2.7T) does the same thing..flooring it feels like stepping in a bucket of mud.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Even with all the upgrades and goodies, my car does the same thing.

But if I get off the throttle for a split second and go back on it then it usually kicks right in and moves.

It feels like hitting a snooze button the first time; and it is very random.
Somwhow, it appears that the engine is lacking power, by monitoring the Fuel consumption it strikes me that if this scenario happens the MPG goes down to 4 or 5 MPG.
After getting off the throttle and re-engaing it the MPG is close to 8 or 10 but at this time she moves. So is there not enough Air?

So what do we got here? No DTC's, more likely a mechanical issue like vacuum hose leak?
Let's wait and see what KMD can find since I have to do my timing anyways.
It is one of the weirdest problems that has never been resolved, at least not for me.

And with your post now I know that I don't see ghosts.....this symptome is real, so lets track it down.

The danger in a situation is that if you don't know the car and it's behavior under certain conditions then a passing move could lead to serious trouble. You expect it to move and it doesn't.....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe it's because...

...your check engine light is on. (per your sig. <g&gt
Old 01-03-2006, 10:34 AM

Default Nope..I just said No DTC's......the CEL is getting cleared almost immidiately after appearance.

Because it is always the same DTC....

Actually...Thanks for the reminder; I haven't seen a CEL for a couple of weeks now....;-)
Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default throttle lag

It's not just the allroad. I have it with my A4 2.8 (worse than allroad), and now some A3 people are noticing it as well (<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/41097.phtml">link</a>). This issue has been discussed before (<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/28431.phtml">link</a>) but there seems to be no resolution, and does not seem to be tranny related. allroad2001, you have a 6MT right?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think its the joy of Drive By Wire...

The gas pedal is hooked to an Angle Sensor that transmits to the ECU..to the injectors, the Maf, the intake, etc. There has got to be some type of delay with all of this and...logic that is fuzzy... as it doesn't know which way to react and has to search for the correct sub routine.

What if... you could clear the ECU of your driving patterns and re educate it? I think somewhere in the archives is a procedure to "brainwash" the ECU and have it relearn your driving style. This time do a lot of flogging at mid pedal?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

but, my A4 is non-DBW and has the same problem
Old 01-03-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: I think its the joy of Drive By Wire...

I would have to say it's less a if = true/false fuzzy logic issue then like you said the fuel,boost,timing maps. You can clear all your maps by pulling your +batt terminal. Go ahead and try, plug in vag-com, log your timing while idling and ext.. and do it again later &amp; compare. Maps are kept in keep-alive memory and cleared upon power loss.

I have not taken note of this problem, but give it a try warm and see if it makes a diff. If it does and comes back then then maybee ECU is trimming timing,fuel over time.

Just food for thought
Old 01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default For Tip, my explanation is...when hit pedal half way or less, the trans will no down shift or

shift down only one gear, so the response is very quick. But when floor the pedal, the trans may shift down 2 gears or more, this will take more time.

Just my guess.
Maybe someday I will use VAG-COM to log some informations to check this. Or somebady can do this.

Quick Reply: why does this happen?