Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Why me!!! Freakn' door dingers!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why me!!! Freakn' door dingers!!!

I just noticed a huge ding on the passenger door right at the doors character line. Must have happend when I went out to lunch yesturday. No paint damage, so I guess that makes it better. I guess I'll call them door ding people.

If I ever catch someone that "dings" my car, you'll be reading about me in the papers.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

got one the first wek I had the car. Grrrrr
Old 01-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Must be that time of year, I just made an appointment with my local DentWizard shop.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: My local Dent Wizard guy has stood me up 4 times so far.

They show up at my local Audi dealer and do the work there. Four times I take my car in and four times they don't show up. The dealer gave up and told Dent Wizard to call me to schedule direct since it wasn't working out at the dealeship and they NEVER called. I need to find another outlet.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Default 1. I got one early on, too.... 2. A story you might all enjoy....

Right behind the gas filler lid. (must've been an angled space) It's the only one on the car. Arrrrgh. I have NEVER touched my door against someone elses car. I don't know how this happens.

So does this 'paintless dent repair' really work?

STORY: Nothing against the handicapped:

A couple of weeks later, I'm at the bank. I park between two empty spaces. The one on the left is handicapped. As I walk away, I see an 80's Olds 88 with a handicap placard in the window approaching.

The Jaws soundtrack starts playing in my head.

Sure enough the car pulls in next to mine - despite the fact that there were 4 other empty handicap spaces. I consider sprinting and moving the car, but think twice - that'd look pretty wrong, pretty politically incorrect, wouldn't it?

I start to walk away again. Behind me this is what I hear: "Creeeeaaaaak... THUNK!" I turn around, and sure enough there is 75lbs of poorly engineered American metal resting against my car, and this poor old guy is trying to climb out of the Olds.

He puts his weight on the door, and the suspension sags and the door rubs up and down against my car. I walk back, taking a deep breath. Luckily the door is against the fender flare and barely scuffed it.

I put my hand between the door and my fender flare and look at the guy's wife who was driving. At this point I don't know what to say, and am feeling REALLY AWKWARD. She's staring at me. I can see the anger in her eyes.

Finally I say, "I'm just trying to keep my car from getting hurt." (not the most eloquent, but to the point). She says,

"Can't you see I've got an old man here who can barely walk?"

That hangs out there while I consider the jumble of emotions running though me at that moment. Then I manage to get this treasure out: "Yeah, but I don't see how that, or age buys you the right to damage other people's property. Why didn't you park one spot over?"

By now the guy's out of the car (having not said a word), she doesn't have an answer, and I'm walking away, ironically, feeling like a total scumbag and feeling like I'D violated some social contract! If I did, let me know.

The movie version of me is much better:

"I understand that in the twilight of life, we'll all run into hardships, and you have my sympathy, ma'am. But, in all due respect to your age, and to the wisdom you must have acquired in a life experience which dwarfs mine, could you please explain to me how age and wisdom absolves one of the need to respect other people's property? Must we all sacrifice the things we hold dear on the altar of entitlement?"

At which point I doff my cap and say, "Good day to you, sir, ma'am," and ride off on a white horse (it magically appeared during the speech) leaving them stunned.

That would have been better. I guess my question is do you guys think we're all destined to lose our rigor when we get old? That would be sad.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just because they're elderly, doesn't give them the right to.....

Remember that old man behind the wheel that plowed through a crowded farmers market, killing I forget how many people. Because he was elderly, dose it make it not so much a bad thing that mommy or daddy will not be coming home, ever. Whew.... end rant.

It's all how they reply. If they appologize with the sound of remorse lingering in their tone and the damage is minimal, then sure with a little regret you let it slide. But, if they snap back with attitude and some lame excuse (as your ecounter suggested), pull out the camera phone take a few snapshots and ask for drivers license and insurance information.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Typically the older they are the less they care. I can't wait to get old.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dude it's just a car............... I hate those responses. That is why...

I park way the heck out. No matter the weather. I am sure you all know that it rains a little here in Washington. Also I have been lucky, so far (knock,knock)
Old 01-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Default I got mine at Wal-mart----more-----

ONe year in Western NY and not a scratch--then we move to Florida--within a month a shopping cart right into the back drivers side--I parked far from the other cars--that just gives the cart more space to gather speed--Wal-mart has about 75,000 carts with about 65,000 in the parking lot at any one time--Since then--chips, rocks stones, sand, construction debris, bird crap and scuffs and scratches--this is no place to have a nice car. I'm leaving
Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 PM

LOL. It'll be liberating, won't it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why me!!! Freakn' door dingers!!!