Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Would an ar ever require chains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would an ar ever require chains?

Being a relative newcomer to the benefits of quattro I have to post this question. Would an ar ever require chains - say for heading over White's Pass in the North Cascades - east of Seattle? Below is an exerpt from the Washington State Dept of Transportation Sno Info site... It is on a page where they talk about the use of studded tires.

"As stated in WAC 204-24-050, all wheel drive (4-wheel drive) vehicles are exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction tires. Carrying one set of chains in the vehicle is required because the Washington State Patrol (WSP) may ask motorists to put them on should conditions warrant."

Any feedback from experienced allroaders - or quattro owners is much appreciated.

PS. My experience going over mountain passes is fairly extensive - but not with quattro. I am totally looking forward to having a go at the snowy, slushy, icy passes with my ar, however I do like to be prepared.

Thanks<ul><li><a href="http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traveler/winter_travel/studded_tires.htm">http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traveler/winter_travel/studded_tires.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-15-2001, 11:09 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Chains? Nah...

My experience with over a dozen years in Colorado driving Audis (all quattros, with snow tires) has been that, even though I carried a set of chains per CDOT rules (like the one you cited), I never used 'em once, never even put them on as a rehearsal. There were several times I got waved through "Chains only" closures (one step above "Snow tires or chaines required") because of the quattro and four snow tires.

Now, I was never tempted to try un-plowed roads because of the low clearance of the A4s and so on that I had. So putting the allroad's additional flexibility to work in deep, deep snow could create bigger problems than I even encountered.

The biggest problem I ever had was with the other traffic -- it always got in the way, either by going too slow or by getting stuck. HPH
Old 11-15-2001, 11:40 AM

Default Don't you hate it when you spend good money on snow tires only to be stuck behind someone

who can't make it up the hill
Old 11-15-2001, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What about you Northwest quattro believers...

Thanks for your feedback Howard. However, while I really appreciate your comments, I am curious about those with experience in the Cascades mountains of Oregon and Washingotn. Your reference is Colorado, which I believe is a much different kind of winter than the wet, slick, always hovering around 32 degrees kind of winter we get out here.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: What about you Northwest quattro believers...

What tires will you be using? Do you think the OEMs will do? Or will you be changing over to snows? Do you think performance snows will cut it (e.g., Dunlop M2s or Pilot Alpins), or are you planning to go for the best traction (e.g., Blizzacks or Artic Alpins).
Old 11-15-2001, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default For NW Winter weather, I'm probably keeping the OEM M+S Pirelli's on the dual spokes

To me, living in Seattle doesn't justify special wheels and snow/ice tires. Also, I haven't been an 'every weekend' skier for several years. Now with the ar, that may change. But I doubt it. I am kind of presuming that the OEM tires will be just fine.

I've seen alot of dialogue on this site about snow tires, but it appears that most of those people are driving in far worse weather - on a more frequent basis - than those of us residing at sea-level in Seattle.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:07 PM

Default I run Pilot Alpins during the winter in Seattle

I made the decision a few seasons ago that the big difference that comes with winter tires is in braking. Quattro and previously my old Subaru, both were great getting going and even pretty good cornerig but try to stop quickly and you suddenly realize how little traction you have. For that reason I've run snow tires, Blizzaks on the subaru and then the Michelins on the allroad for the last 3 years.

I'm not a very weekend skier and live right downtown but I spend christmas up in the Methow Valley and go skiing often enough that I figure it's a minor expense for the added safety.

The chain law is a pretty nasty one, I've never seen them say you had to fit chains but the law says you have to have them. I used to carry some for the Subaru but don't have any for the allroad. I only used the chains once in the Subaru, when there was a huge dump and we were stuck in Wenatchee on an unplowed road with about 18" of fresh snow, so much it was surfing over the hood ! In backing and filling once I got stopped on a slope I ended up in the gutter so I chained up and made it out with a bit of clearing in front of the car.

I'm planning to sneak through this winter without chains. As I've only had to use them in extreme conditions so I figure they are much more likely to close the road then make a AWD fit them over winter tires. If you do want to get some there is apparently only one type of chains that will fit and then only with the 16" narrower snow tires on and only on the rear. Otherwise you'll destroy the suspension. I haven't tried to see if AoA stocks them but I'm guessing they'd be hard to get.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:46 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Don't you hate it ...

Really. And what's worse is when they start sliding back down toward you, or you can see them in the rear-view mirror, gaining on you (downhill) while doing 360s.

I always figured these experiences were good ways to get my adrenalin level up for skiing... HPH

PS: I would definitely carry chains if I were using only the OEM P6s. My views of their performance on snow have already been expressed.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:11 PM

Default I drive to Tahoe all the time -

I've been going up for years. Been caught in my share of road closures, but NEVER EVER has any of my AWD's with M&S's ever been kept from driving the road.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do you change wheels & tires or just tires?

I agree with you about the stopping issue. Any awd can get going - it's the staying in control and stopping that worries me.

Where did you get your Pilot Alpins?

You said you live downtown. Where abouts? I live on the South slope of Queen Anne - A few blocks up from Tower Records. I've seen another ar on Queen Anne a few times but it wasn't Black. I think it was an Atlas Gray one.

I'm hoping for a bit of snow in the city this year so's I can play around Queen Anne with the ar.

Quick Reply: Would an ar ever require chains?