AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   12V battery (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/12v-battery-2968507/)

alexlear 03-09-2019 06:55 AM

12V battery

Usually EV's have a 12V battery and a DC/DC converter to charge it from the main HV pack. I haven't seen any mention of this or seen it pointed out in a video walk through. Does anyone know where its located? My other Audis have the battery in the trunk but I've only seen the audio subwoofer in the back of the e-tron. It's possible this is a very small lead acid battery because it doesn't need the power to start an engine.

jeffbtx 03-09-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25287100)
Usually EV's have a 12V battery and a DC/DC converter to charge it from the main HV pack. I haven't seen any mention of this or seen it pointed out in a video walk through. Does anyone know where its located? My other Audis have the battery in the trunk but I've only seen the audio subwoofer in the back of the e-tron. It's possible this is a very small lead acid battery because it doesn't need the power to start an engine.

My Macan has the spare, full size battery and sub all in the back so I'd bet the e-tron will have it there too.

anemeth 03-09-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25287100)

The owner manual mention a 12V battery, and states that it is serviceable by dealer only. It does not mention the location of the 12V battery.

alexlear 03-09-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25287148)
The owner manual mention a 12V battery, and states that it is serviceable by dealer only. It does not mention the location of the 12V battery.

I haven't seen the manual yet. Is it available online?

anemeth 03-10-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25287217)
I haven't seen the manual yet. Is it available online?

Sort of, you have to register your e-tron on myAudi, and you will see the owner manual there.

fideba 03-10-2019 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25287371)
Sort of, you have to register your e-tron on myAudi, and you will see the owner manual there.

Any chance of accidentally attaching the manual to this post ? :-)

anemeth 03-10-2019 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by fideba (Post 25287394)
Any chance of accidentally attaching the manual to this post ? :-)

Unfortunately I cannot, as far as I know nobody figured out how to get it from myAudi page.

perlfather 03-10-2019 07:47 AM

perhaps somebody can post a VIN number or one that is one digit off from one and we can then look at a manual. The previous posting of VIN numbers was from pre-production cars (I think they had XXX in the number) and thus a non-valid number to get the manual.
Audi Online Owner's Manual

ted99 03-10-2019 08:18 AM

It doesn't have to be a lead-acid battery. The motorcycle aftermarket is now providing a LOT of Li-ion 12v. batteries that are quite compact and light. One of the good things about the EV/PHEV autos is that the onboard DC/DC charger keeps the 12v battery charged from the high voltage battery. My previous BMW and M-B ICE's that were mostly city driven had to be kept on a maintenance charger because in-city running would never fully charge the 12v lead-Acid battery.

alexlear 03-10-2019 09:02 AM

It doesn't have to be a lead-acid battery.
You're right, it could be 4 series lithium iron cells (LiFe, A123) but that would require cells and balancing BMS that are much more expensive than a small lead acid battery and Audi has already complained about the difficulties in making profit on EVs. If they did this, they would be one of first legacy automakers to use it.

The owner manual mention a 12V battery, and states that it is serviceable by dealer only.
There might be a good reason for this (buried under HV components). Hopefully this isn't Audi trying to make money on EV servicing.