Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

2019 e-tron Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
... I still think Hydrogen might become the future as it leverages much of the existing technology and infrastructure. You can combust it or power a fuel cell with it. No massive batteries required.
You make a few good points, but this isn’t one of them. There’s no doubt that Elon Musk and Co did lots of research before choosing electricity over hydrogen for their platform before they put their eggs into one basket. The electric infrastructure was already in nationwide. Not so much for hydrogen.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by TYJ

You make a few good points, but this isn’t one of them. There’s no doubt that Elon Musk and Co did lots of research before choosing electricity over hydrogen for their platform before they put their eggs into one basket. The electric infrastructure was already in nationwide. Not so much for hydrogen.
We'll see. The electric grid in the USA will not support large scale EV deployment and is still mostly fossil fuel based compared to other countries, so the state of existing infrastructure for battery EVs is questionable. More need for electricity means more power plants and coal plants is what mostly covers peak demand as they can be easily ramped up and down. Special chargers are needed to charge an EV in a reasonable time, so the supercharger networks didn't exist and still need to be massively built-out. Even Norway admits that the biggest issue they have with EVs is not enough chargers. The large scale battery recycling problem hasn't been figured out yet. Much of what makes a Tesla would continue to be viable if they replaced the battery with a fuel cell and a hydrogen tank. Hydrogen storage back then wasn't as viable as it is now, but has come much farther, whereas battery capacity and technology is still largely at the same stage. There hasn't been a big breakthrough with batteries yet and the energy density of today's batteries requires them to be large and heavy. If you look back on the history of batteries, devices largely last longer these days because of advancements on the consumption side. Chips have gotten smaller and require less power and the software has become smarter at saving energy where possible, while the battery capacities have largely stayed the same. More battery capacity currently still means making the battery bigger and heavier.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-16-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
$86,000 price.
Where did you see this? I didn't see it listed. Thanks!

Created a thread for the reservation list, since this thread will cover more details about the vehicle.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

We'll see. The electric grid in the USA will not support large scale EV deployment and is still mostly fossil fuel based compared to other countries, so the state of existing infrastructure for battery EVs is questionable. More need for electricity means more power plants and coal plants is what mostly covers peak demand as they can be easily ramped up and down. Special chargers are needed to charge an EV in a reasonable time, so the supercharger networks didn't exist and still need to be massively built-out. Even Norway admits that the biggest issue they have with EVs is not enough chargers. The large scale battery recycling problem hasn't been figured out yet. Much of what makes a Tesla would continue to be viable if they replaced the battery with a fuel cell and a hydrogen tank. Hydrogen storage back then wasn't as viable as it is now, but has come much farther, whereas battery capacity and technology is still largely at the same stage. There hasn't been a big breakthrough with batteries yet and the energy density of today's batteries requires them to be large and heavy. If you look back on the history of batteries, devices largely last longer these days because of advancements on the consumption side. Chips have gotten smaller and require less power and the software has become smarter at saving energy where possible, while the battery capacities have largely stayed the same. More battery capacity currently still means making the battery bigger and heavier.
For the Telsa supercharger network, they solar charge batteries at the sites, that in turn charges your vehicle. Not disputing your thoughts around capacity issues with the grid though. I do find it humorous that California is pushing hard for EV, yet they run rotating blackouts almost every summer. The invention of Li-Ion batteries is what has given us the ability to have EV or even the smartphone, not smaller more efficient chips. The iPhone would have never existed if Ni-MH was the energy source.

Keep in mind that the Hindenburg used hydrogen. We all know how that turned out.

I'm interested in seeing what the etron can do. Got to ride in a Tesla X P100D. Had cramps in my jaw from the ear to ear grin for weeks!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:14 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

...Much of what makes a Tesla would continue to be viable if they replaced the battery with a fuel cell and a hydrogen tank..
Uhhh... no, not remotely. Hydrogen fueled vehicles require an internal combustion engine, albeit one that produces zero emissions (water) as a byproduct (yet still require petroleum based lubrication of mechanical parts and therefore oil changes). Tesla’s have electic motors, not engines.

Even if Tesla did this... there is no hydrogen fuel infrastructure within the US that comes close to what already exists for electricity.

Sure, electric cars still require fueling (coal, diesel, nuclear)... but the solar option also exists and is growing exponentially. And even if you currently refuel your EV via coal or diesel the carbon emissions are half or less (mile vs mile) vs a standard petroleum fueled vehicle.

Last edited by TYJ; 09-16-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TYJ

Uhhh... no, not remotely. Hydrogen fueled vehicles require an internal combustion engine, albeit one that produces zero emissions ....

No, Hydrogen fueled vehicles do not require an ICE. Do you really not know what a fuel cell is? A fuel cell converts Hydrogen directly into electricity to power an electric motor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell
Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Wires
For the Telsa supercharger network, they solar charge batteries at the sites, that in turn charges your vehicle. Not disputing your thoughts around capacity issues with the grid though. I do find it humorous that California is pushing hard for EV, yet they run rotating blackouts almost every summer. The invention of Li-Ion batteries is what has given us the ability to have EV or even the smartphone, not smaller more efficient chips. The iPhone would have never existed if Ni-MH was the energy source.

Keep in mind that the Hindenburg used hydrogen. We all know how that turned out.

I'm interested in seeing what the etron can do. Got to ride in a Tesla X P100D. Had cramps in my jaw from the ear to ear grin for weeks!
Li-Ion batteries were invented in the 70s. In 73, the year I was born in fact it was proposed by Adam Heller, but didn't start to get commercially produced until the 90s. It took a very long time to get Li-Ion batteries to where they are today. Where is the next revolution in battery technology that can be ready for production in say the next 5 years? If Li-Ion technology is any indication, it takes decades. The Hindenburg, was Hydrogen contained by a cloth pretty much. We are far from that.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

No, Hydrogen fueled vehicles do not require an ICE. Do you really not know what a fuel cell is? A fuel cell converts Hydrogen directly into electricity to power an electric motor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell
I must not. The last hydrogen fuel cell vehicles I saw (Toyota Highlander) had tailpipes that emit water and required petroleum based lubricants... however the rest of what I said I feel that I can stand by...

Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TYJ

I must not. The last hydrogen fuel cell vehicles I saw (Toyota Highlander) had tailpipes that emit water and required petroleum based lubricants... however the rest of what I said I feel that I can stand by...

I guess this current funky looking Toyota hasn't crossed your world yet, either. There are other fuel cell cars, too.

https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html
Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Li-Ion batteries were invented in the 70s. In 73, the year I was born in fact it was proposed by Adam Heller, but didn't start to get commercially produced until the 90s. It took a very long time to get Li-Ion batteries to where they are today.
Exactly, but until they were implemented, we had no means for high density energy sources required for smartphones or EV.

Quick Reply: 2019 e-tron Quattro