Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

21 e-tron dead in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
It seems the more electrical stuff they cram into our cars the more problems. Like 2 days ago in Vegas, while navigating back to the hotel in henderson, the MMI goes black while I'm on an unfamilar busy highway interchange. gone are the days when if your car wouldn't crank over, you got a jump start and as long as the alternator worked u could drive at least as far as the next place you shut the car off (assuming a bad battery). Even if u had a bad alternator, they weren't that hard to swap out beside the road. Now the whole car can be "dead" as a doornail and there's nothing one can do until it's revived at a dealer. this damn idea of going fully electric by 2035 is making me very nervous.
Yes, makes you yearn for the horse and buggy days! All of these electronic snafus are stressing me out!
The following users liked this post:
Dave_ (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Yes, makes you yearn for the horse and buggy days! All of these electronic snafus are stressing me out!
Agreed, I think I'm going back to the classic "technology." Just need to stock up on a bunch of hay and carrots. Also need to be prepared to cleanup their "exhaust."
Old 06-23-2021, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Second tow truck couldn't fit either, driver said he wanted to try to jump it so we could get it out of the garage, that worked. Drove it out of the garage and it's on the truck to the dealer now.
thebishman (06-25-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BeefJerky
Agreed, I think I'm going back to the classic "technology." Just need to stock up on a bunch of hay and carrots. Also need to be prepared to cleanup their "exhaust."
I think Audi is particularly challenged by software and EV reliability. My other two EVs have been perfectly reliable in about 2.5 years of combined use.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks like just the 12V battery problem (hopefully).

@rshelton: How long the car was on the charger? As the e-tron does not charge the 12V battery during the charging session, but if the car is plugged in the car remains "alive", take electricity from the 12V battery. I was told by the dealer that they came accross an e-tron which was plugged in for two weeks and totaly drained the 12V battery (HV battery was fully charged).
Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
@rshelton: How long the car was on the charger? As the e-tron does not charge the 12V battery during the charging session, but if the car is plugged in the car remains "alive", take electricity from the 12V battery. I was told by the dealer that they came across an e-tron which was plugged in for two weeks and totally drained the 12V battery (HV battery was fully charged).
This sounds like a bug. Would seem logical to supply anything drawing juice during the charging session with the charger cable rather than draining from the 12V battery.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

@rshelton: How long the car was on the charger? As the e-tron does not charge the 12V battery during the charging session, but if the car is plugged in the car remains "alive", take electricity from the 12V battery. I was told by the dealer that they came accross an e-tron which was plugged in for two weeks and totaly drained the 12V battery (HV battery was fully charged).
~8 hours. That's interesting though.

I just got a call from the dealer who said they got the car and drove it around the lot with no issues, no warning lights. Will get it in the shop and scanned, likely hear back tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

So how is the 12V battery charged? It has to get charged sometime!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:44 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
It seems the more electrical stuff they cram into our cars the more problems. Like 2 days ago in Vegas, while navigating back to the hotel in henderson, the MMI goes black while I'm on an unfamilar busy highway interchange. gone are the days when if your car wouldn't crank over, you got a jump start and as long as the alternator worked u could drive at least as far as the next place you shut the car off (assuming a bad battery). Even if u had a bad alternator, they weren't that hard to swap out beside the road. Now the whole car can be "dead" as a doornail and there's nothing one can do until it's revived at a dealer. this damn idea of going fully electric by 2035 is making me very nervous.
I'll one up your gone are the days....
when your battery died you just put her into neutral, gave a push, jumped in, popped the clutch, and on your way!
Dave_ (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by BW5
I'll one up your gone are the days....
when your battery died you just put her into neutral, gave a push, jumped in, popped the clutch, and on your way!
Yea, bring back my '55 Chevy 2dr Bel Air stick shift!

Quick Reply: 21 e-tron dead in parking lot