Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Additions/Alterations/Changes I would like ...

Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additions/Alterations/Changes I would like ...

There are two features I would like added to the list of options: 1) Night Vision Assistant, which seems to be available only as part of the Edition One package and 2) Rear Camera Mirror, similar to what is available on the Cadillac CT6.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds very reasonable, not sure why they wouldn’t have night vision on such a technologically advanced car
Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just in case anyone from Audi is monitoring this forum, PLEASE get rid of the wood grain inlays on the Premium Plus, it's so old school. Let us also choose a black headliner as an option like many of the ICE cars they sell (I have the black headliner in my Q5 and like it very much).
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to agree, not being able to get night vision separately from the 1st edition is annoying. I'm specifically getting the 1st edition because of that, but I would rather just a fully optioned Prestige w/ NVA and be able to choose the int/ext color (and have tow package as well).
Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with Night Vision systems is they are great, until you break the lens...
1) Initial cost of Night Vision is about $2500 CAD$
2) Broke a lens? happens in areas where they use gravel or winter traction, and can of course at any other time, that lens cost me $750 + install, $1000 Total
3) didn't notice your lens was broken? the rain, snow and washer fluid the system sprays itself with get into the camera and damage the Sensor, that repair is $8000 CAD.
I for one, will not be ordering night vision, the above happened to me.... not doing ti again.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's what insurance is for. $500 deductible, same price as if the windshield has to be replaced (because unfortunately California doesn't allow zero-deductible glass coverage).
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cgiard
That's what insurance is for. $500 deductible, same price as if the windshield has to be replaced (because unfortunately California doesn't allow zero-deductible glass coverage).
I don't disagree that insurance would be the way to deal with that. Not sure if it works the same way in the USA and Canada, but here they tend to monitor even your 'no fault' claims and if you7 have several of those they ask you to leave their company. If that happens, getting a new policy is really HARD (read as expensive). we don't have as many choices for coverage as I think the USA does either.

Lucky for me a have a 'vanishing deductible' I was at zero $ for this event, but I didn't even use insurance. The rest of my NV story is I found a white paper written by Bosch (who makes pretty much ever one of these automotive NV systems and BMW in this case talking about the durability of the camera, and that white paper specifically even said it could sustain a rock impact and not break, after a bit of fussing before I found this white paper, BMW approved the work no cost to me (even got by money for a lens back).

My main point is, for those considering the camera, its important to note that NV doesn't sit behind your windshield glass (technical limitation, doesn't work through normal glass) and its in prone to damage like this. At the very least, check the lens for damage often. Also get informed as to what your policy will cover and if you have the silly "too many no fault claims' issues.

The technology itself is pretty cool; I got in on my BMW as I live out in a remote area with no street lights between two cities, but there is always joggers and people on bikes who don't like there lives enough to wear something reflective (and in the winter it dark here at around 5PM!). It was a completely justified and good decision, just wish it was a bit cheaper to deal with when it broke...

I'm not going to miss it on my next car... Doesn't Audi do pedestrian detection without the Night vision anyways?

btw NV is also good at seeing warm cop cars on the side of the road when driving on the interstate :-)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think they will have a VW type electric in the Market. I suspect part of making these cars expensive is that buyers of approx. 100k cars typically don't keep them long, and they typically don't many sell. So if there is an issues the exposure should be short lived (relatively) to Audi / Porsche... I suspect at least part of this upmarket sales approach in that 100k area is very much on purpose to secure good profit, and understand what they are dealing with before going more mass market.

I also think there is good choices for a lower cost electric version (Chevy Bolt, leaf and Kono for example) all ready. Not sure we need more cars in the lower end right now then we have given the lack of choices in the midmarket. I think this price point / market is actually under serviced. I don't like the leaf or others of that price point, the Kona looks decent and so does the iPACE but not exactly what I want. The ETRON to me seems to service exactly the market I'm in and the price I can pay. The Etron is a little over priced, but not horrible. I think they can offer less options and a more base model in the future and that would be a good choice for Audi also. But honestly, I think its a bad move to create too many options and variants of this model right now; Tesla is smart about it model 3 and getting better production numbers as a result and better quality control too.

Last edited by AudiTK; 12-12-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wish they would improve the way the center console comes into the rear passenger area so that a 3rd person (child) could fit in there better.

I also wish they did some thing like the pace does with the storage compartments under the seats and better overall space for the things we carry around.

I also wish there was a software option to get little better performance for 0-60 times if you wanted to trade battery life for it.

I wish they had the new laser style headlamps for better visibility at night *Maybe they have it? I thought I read LED*

Better rim choices... some of those options are not great.

Wireless AppleCar (maybe they have it, and its not noted, haven't seen that anywhere yet?)

a OLED key like the BMW guys - that's really nice.

4 wheel steering

Warning screen to be removed! no more stupid warning after warning, make me sign it when I buy the car, then leave me alone!

Hard what else to add to this list as I have not seen one, and the reviews so far are pretty much "controlled" press events and they all talk about the same things, so not sure what else is not there that should be.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiTK

Wireless AppleCar (maybe they have it, and its not noted, haven't seen that anywhere yet?)
The order guide that was posted awhile ago said that wireless Apple CarPlay would be standard.

Last edited by LRSIII; 12-12-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Additions/Alterations/Changes I would like ...