AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Any Advise on extended warranty? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/any-advise-extended-warranty-2972301/)

Ed Barron 05-13-2019 06:48 PM

Any Advise on extended warranty?

I was quoted 4500 or so for one on a prestige for up to 120K miles or so when I signed today. That seemed like a lot, and past experiences says better prices can be typically found with a little looking. I also hadn't done any research and wasn't going to buy without having done so.

But .. Theres a lot of new technology in these puppies.

Thanks.
-Ed.

avie 05-13-2019 06:59 PM

I didn't purchase the warranty out the door as I figured it can always be added later. The price for the warranty does seem high, after all and EV is supposed to be very low maintenance. I guess we'll see and have plenty of time to add that warranty. Would love to hear other thoughts too.

theo1000 05-14-2019 08:03 AM

I have not done extended warranty on any of my EV's. The big item the battery is 8 year 100,000 mile.

perlfather 05-14-2019 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Barron (Post 25316381)

But .. Theres a lot of new technology in these puppies.
-Ed.

True, however, the people selling the extended warranty have surely calculated that into the price including the cost of administering the warranty and a profit.

e-tronDriver 05-14-2019 09:59 AM

I don't see any reason to buy an extended warranty until the original warranty is about to expire. At that point you will have a better idea of how long you are going to keep the car and can purchase the appropriate mileage/duration for the warranty.

1st Audi Owner 05-16-2019 09:55 AM

Before buying an extended warranty (assuming it to be Audi Care) you might want to calculate the total amount you will save in lease payments afforded you by the 1% increase in residual and then offset the cost of the extended warranty by the differential between the sums of the lease payments. The cost of the extended warranty might become acceptable after you offset it by the total lease payment saving resulting from the residual increase.

Disclaimer: I have not tested any of the numbers, nor do I know the cost of an extended warranty, so none of this may make any sense. But, it should be worth it to you to spend the time doing the calculations.

e-tronDriver 05-16-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1st Audi Owner (Post 25317724)
Before buying an extended warranty (assuming it to be Audi Care) you might want to calculate the total amount you will save in lease payments afforded you by the 1% increase in residual and then offset the cost of the extended warranty by the differential between the sums of the lease payments. The cost of the extended warranty might become acceptable after you offset it by the total lease payment saving resulting from the residual increase.

Disclaimer: I have not tested any of the numbers, nor do I know the cost of an extended warranty, so none of this may make any sense. But, it should be worth it to you to spend the time doing the calculations.

AudiCare is a maintenance plan, not an extended warranty. I think the OP is talking about coverage for breakdowns that occur after the standard Audi warranty expires.

1st Audi Owner 05-16-2019 10:41 AM

You are absolutely correct. My mistake, sorry.