Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Anyone got Advanced Charging Settings Working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Anyone got Advanced Charging Settings Working?

There is a video tutorial on MyAudi about how to set advanced charging to make use of when electricity is cheap. You set your location and the time to not start charging before.

I set mine up at home to not start charging before 11pm as that’s when my cheap electricity kicks in. The only problem is that it doesn’t work! I plug the car in at 9pm and it lit up green.

I also tried the other option of setting the schedule for when I depart as mentioned in another thread. I set to leave at 7am plugged in at 9pm and the car only needed 2 to 3 hours to charge. Again, it started charging immediately.

I really want to get the advanced charging working so I can just plug in when I get home and not worry about it charging during the most expensive time at night.
The following users liked this post:
Louis Samson (12-20-2020)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
There is a video tutorial on MyAudi about how to set advanced charging to make use of when electricity is cheap. You set your location and the time to not start charging before.

I set mine up at home to not start charging before 11pm as that’s when my cheap electricity kicks in. The only problem is that it doesn’t work! I plug the car in at 9pm and it lit up green.

I also tried the other option of setting the schedule for when I depart as mentioned in another thread. I set to leave at 7am plugged in at 9pm and the car only needed 2 to 3 hours to charge. Again, it started charging immediately.

I really want to get the advanced charging working so I can just plug in when I get home and not worry about it charging during the most expensive time at night.
Ah, the mysteries of advanced charging :-)
I've got it working, and found that you need to do three things:
- set a preferred time for your home location (mine is from 10PM till 6:30 AM)
- set a schedule for charging (mine is every day of the week, to be ready by 7AM)
- and, the key thing is: whenever you switch of your car, you get a small menu on the MMI. If I'm not mistaken, then the second button will activate the schedule. Once pressed, it will show a red line on top of the button. That's the signal that the car will not start charging when plugged in, but will wait until the scheduled time.
The following 2 users liked this post by fideba:
hrc1079 (07-17-2019), Louis Samson (12-20-2020)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fideba
- set a schedule for charging (mine is every day of the week, to be ready by 7AM)
- and, the key thing is: whenever you switch of your car, you get a small menu on the MMI. If I'm not mistaken, then the second button will activate the schedule. Once pressed, it will show a red line on top of the button. That's the signal that the car will not start charging when plugged in, but will wait until the scheduled time.
Thanks for the info. I must say, this has to be the most confusing and stupidest way to set a car to charge only from a certain time!

I didn’t see the option when I got home on the MMI except for the message “advanced charging is available in this area”. When I tapped on it it only takes me to the settings menu with the address, etc. I plugged the car in and sure enough it started charging immediately. Went to the MyAudi app to verify and noticed under scheduling an option to “enable timer”. Tapped on this and the car stopped charging so appears to be working.

I hope it remembers the setting and don’t have to do this every time. It’s unnecessarily complicated and have no idea why Audi programmed it this way. Even the Audi videos don’t explain it properly!

Thanks for the help though! Much appreciated
Old 07-16-2019, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hrc1079
Thanks for the info. I must say, this has to be the most confusing and stupidest way to set a car to charge only from a certain time!

I didn’t see the option when I got home on the MMI except for the message “advanced charging is available in this area”. When I tapped on it it only takes me to the settings menu with the address, etc. I plugged the car in and sure enough it started charging immediately. Went to the MyAudi app to verify and noticed under scheduling an option to “enable timer”. Tapped on this and the car stopped charging so appears to be working.

I hope it remembers the setting and don’t have to do this every time. It’s unnecessarily complicated and have no idea why Audi programmed it this way. Even the Audi videos don’t explain it properly!

Thanks for the help though! Much appreciated
The option appears when you shut down the car (I don't think the smartphone setting is remembered, struggled with it for a while). I'll try to take a screenshot or do a small video,(it will be in Dutch, but that's a very easy language ;-))
The following users liked this post:
hrc1079 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This was very helpful, thank you.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fideba
This is the same way timed charging was set up in my Audi A3 e-tron. I guess Audi never bothered to change it!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruinmac
This is the same way timed charging was set up in my Audi A3 e-tron. I guess Audi never bothered to change it!
How any programmer thinks this is user intuitive is beyond me. It should be a set and forget scenario but instead you're have to jump through hoops to get it working. Audi's UX\UI Team should be ashamed for thinking this was acceptable.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So, it appears that despite setting up the timer once you plug in the charger it charges at a very low rate and then when the time you have scheduled to charge arrives it charges at full power. Anyone agree? If this is the case, it doesn't make sense to plug in until you are at or close to the time you want it charge.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Argus2018
So, it appears that despite setting up the timer once you plug in the charger it charges at a very low rate and then when the time you have scheduled to charge arrives it charges at full power. Anyone agree? If this is the case, it doesn't make sense to plug in until you are at or close to the time you want it charge.
Same thing for my Model 3 if I set the schedule from the JuiceBox. This may be to prevent the car from going asleep and not accepting the charge when the time comes. I haven't tried to schedule charging from the car yet.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
Same thing for my Model 3 if I set the schedule from the JuiceBox. This may be to prevent the car from going asleep and not accepting the charge when the time comes. I haven't tried to schedule charging from the car yet.
Don't think it charges anything while in "waiting" mode. My charger simply shows something like "waiting for the car" with an hourglass icon. I have a transfo behind the charger, and this makes quite some noise when charging start, and it's dead silent while in waiting mode.

Quick Reply: Anyone got Advanced Charging Settings Working?