AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Apple CarPlay (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/apple-carplay-2975396/)

hrc1079 07-06-2019 03:50 PM

Apple CarPlay

Is anyone experiencing issues with a buggy MMI? I had made some changes to the settings and moved some icons around then a few days later it had all reset back to original settings.

CarPlay was hit and miss whether it would work or not. I was constantly seeing connected, not connected messages pop up on the screen so I decided to delete it and start fresh. Now it does seem more stable but I can be listening to the radio and all of a sudden CarPlay auto connects to the home screen. Any way of stopping it from doing this? It's currently being connected to the MMI by WiFi

pcassidy 07-06-2019 04:52 PM

What I have noticed is the following: If I'm listening to an FM radio station when I stop, on next start, that FM station starts playing until Car Play finishes initializing then the FM station is replaced with a music track from my Car Play Music.I have to select the FM station again to get it back. It's annoying and I hope Audi will provide a fix.I have not noticed any problems with icons moving around.

avie 07-06-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by hrc1079 (Post 25339349)
Is anyone experiencing issues with a buggy MMI? I had made some changes to the settings and moved some icons around then a few days later it had all reset back to original settings.

CarPlay was hit and miss whether it would work or not. I was constantly seeing connected, not connected messages pop up on the screen so I decided to delete it and start fresh. Now it does seem more stable but I can be listening to the radio and all of a sudden CarPlay auto connects to the home screen. Any way of stopping it from doing this? It's currently being connected to the MMI by WiFi

There definitely appears to be some issues with the CarPlay feature. We have several iPhones configured in our e-Tron and the only reliable way to get CarPlay to work is to plug in via USB. Luckily, that works very well. When you try to go over wifi the car seems confused as to which iPhone to connect to, and you can even sit at the connected phones screen, keep selecting the one which you want (for which there is a connection confirmed by green text) to just watch it do nothing. To get it to eventually work I tend to jump around a few screens, e.g. the Connected phones screen, the telephone screen, etc. and eventually I'm able to select the phone I want.

It is also definitely the case that when you connect to CarPlay the FM radio is turned off in favor of audio over CarPlay. Very annoying. But with presets I just select the FM station I want once CarPlay has finished connecting.

hrc1079 07-08-2019 03:18 PM

Yeah, I'm noticing the same thing. My phone and wife's phone are connected via the Wifi and when we're in the car together it becomes a battle between our phones as they both fight to connect. I was hoping that the MMI was set in a way that it remembered who's phone was who depending on what profile you sign in on in the car. Seems that this isn't the case.

wetz001 07-09-2019 03:41 AM

Home screen icons

I also have not been able to get the MMI home screen icon rearrange to stick

mjeaton 07-09-2019 08:35 AM

I stopped using Apple CarPlay because it kept popping up an interrupting the MMI at the wrong times. I disabled it from my phone. I just use the MMI now... much happier.

The MMI interface is way better than Apple. It seems like Apple has to "dumb down" CarPlay so it works with all car makes/models/years. So you get a substandard product for a high tech car.

hrc1079 07-09-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by wetz001 (Post 25340252)
I also have not been able to get the MMI home screen icon rearrange to stick

I've had this exact same issue. Mine lasted for a few days and then reset back to default. I changed it on the weekend and it's stuck but for how long, who knows!