AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Battery shortage forces Audi Brussels to slow down production (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/battery-shortage-forces-audi-brussels-slow-down-production-2970698/)

Larry David 04-16-2019 01:18 PM

Battery shortage forces Audi Brussels to slow down production

Has anyone seen this article?
The Brussels Times - Battery shortage forces Audi Brussels to slow down production
There isn't official word from Audi yet, but this does concern my e tron will be delayed even longer.

Reliantg 04-16-2019 01:30 PM

It seems like all EVs, even Tesla that sources their own, have issues with getting enough batteries for demand. Wonder what the common issue is here.

grssypond 04-16-2019 02:49 PM

I feel very fortunate. I put in a reservation 1/6/2019. Locked 3/28/2019. Was told production would be 4/25/2019. While speaking with an Audi E-tron rep, I inquired about whether a waiting list had been formed for those looking to obtain an Edition One. It was clear that there were going to be cancellations. Sure enough a list had been formed....and after some hesitation I got on the list. I was assured that towing could be added, but not at the factory. This was not clear: but I have an F250 and an F450 as well as our Q8 that are set up for towing. So as noted I took the plunge. A week later, they called and let me know I had hooked up an Edition One. Several days later, the myAudi informed me the vehicle was in port. Several days later my SA informed me he had a VIN and the vehicle was in Houston. So now just waiting for release date.

So....waiting for more battery, more power (S), Sportback or other surely looks like a waiting game.

Happy to have a car at port😁

1st Audi Owner 04-16-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by grssypond (Post 25304253)
I feel very fortunate. I put in a reservation 1/6/2019. Locked 3/28/2019. Was told production would be 4/25/2019. While speaking with an Audi E-tron rep, I inquired about whether a waiting list had been formed for those looking to obtain an Edition One. It was clear that there were going to be cancellations. Sure enough a list had been formed....and after some hesitation I got on the list. I was assured that towing could be added, but not at the factory. This was not clear: but I have an F250 and an F450 as well as our Q8 that are set up for towing. So as noted I took the plunge. A week later, they called and let me know I had hooked up an Edition One. Several days later, the myAudi informed me the vehicle was in port. Several days later my SA informed me he had a VIN and the vehicle was in Houston. So now just waiting for release date.

So....waiting for more battery, more power (S), Sportback or other surely looks like a waiting game.

Happy to have a car at port😁

Do you have a deal wrapped up? If a lease, please share with everyone the net cap cost, length of lease, residual percentage and money factor. Everyone will appreciate it. Thanks.

grssypond 04-16-2019 05:46 PM

Have not talked deal yet. Will let you know. I still have not seen or driven. Dealership is not sure when release for sale will occur....or when they will get their demo.

BestLife9798 04-21-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Larry David (Post 25304220)
The Brussels Times - Battery shortage forces Audi Brussels to slow down production
There isn't official word from Audi yet, but this does concern my e tron will be delayed even longer.

Was just reading this on another site as well yesterday. I ordered in October and my vehicle still seems to be stuck in gearing up for production. So like you I'm now concerned it's been caught up in this delay. My passion for the E-tron hasn't wavered (even with the range announcement)....until now. I'm admittedly getting antsy since there is such a lack of information on Audi's part as the when I'll see my car.

LavaGrau_A3 04-21-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by grssypond (Post 25304253)
I was assured that towing could be added, but not at the factory. This was not clear: but I have an F250 and an F450 as well as our Q8 that are set up for towing. So as noted I took the plunge.

The e-tron order guide states that the Premium Plus and Prestige (on which the Edition One is based) are equipped with "Trailer hitch preparation (includes brake controller wiring)".

2KA6_2.7T 04-21-2019 04:31 PM

regarding towing:
As a reference, here is th installation instruction for the Q7, it is quite involved , requires removal of the rear bumper. Procedures for the e-tron would be very similar

COe-Tron 04-23-2019 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Larry David (Post 25304220)

It must be just a phenomenally complex project to perfect the batteries. The e Tron was introduced on September 17, 2015 at the International Auto Show. Just short of 4 years to iron out the battery manufacturing and production numbers so as to avoid "unanticipated" delays.

1st Audi Owner 04-23-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by COe-Tron (Post 25306915)
It must be just a phenomenally complex project to perfect the batteries. The e Tron was introduced on September 17, 2015 at the International Auto Show. Just short of 4 years to iron out the battery manufacturing and production numbers so as to avoid "unanticipated" delays.

It is more likely that LG Chemical, the manufacturer and supplier of the batteries, is deliberately slowing the supply line in order to encourage Audi to pay more for them.