Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

Best Range - Real World

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

Best Range - Real World

 
Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 PM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Concord, MA USA
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Range - Real World

As we all know, EV range estimation is a black art and many refer to the resulting gauges as guess-o-meters. Now that we have actual e-trons in the wild, I think it would be interesting to keep track of best real world results (and any notes that would help others understand conditions under which they were achieved.)

I took the liberty of making this first post on behalf of sallgeud. who reported his/her results on a different thread. Goal is to keep a running tab of best results under one thread.

I put 228 miles on the first charge with it claiming only 5 miles left. I drove quite aggressively
Photonix is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 349
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Great idea. It would be nice if there was a link to a Google spreadsheet that could be publicly or privately updated.

It would also be good to include things like wheel size, weather, etc.

Thanks!
alexlear is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 02:11 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Wow! This reminds me of TDIClub! We had the same spreadsheet.
DMcDnald is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Now that there is a growing number of e-Tron owners out there, can some of you report initial energy consumption data or range data? Looking forward to your experiences!
DMcDnald is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by DMcDnald View Post
Now that there is a growing number of e-Tron owners out there, can some of you report initial energy consumption data or range data? Looking forward to your experiences!
At 300 miles of driving my eTron Edition One is averaging 2.0 mi/kw which sucks. My BMW i3 has averaged 3.7mi/kw over 50K miles.
madcanadian is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY Metro
Posts: 120
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by madcanadian View Post
At 300 miles of driving my eTron Edition One is averaging 2.0 mi/kw which sucks. My BMW i3 has averaged 3.7mi/kw over 50K miles.
I'm getting the same thing with 350 miles in so far..
bugout is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by bugout View Post
I'm getting the same thing with 350 miles in so far..
I'm no expert, but comparing the e-tron to an i3 is like comparing a Lambo to a Kia (no offense Kia owners). The e-tron is heavier and more powerful. Another perspective, my Q5 drinks about 20MPG @$3.40 gallon (in my area). 20 miles @ 0.5 KW per mile is $1.10 (I pay 11 cents per KW). A third the cost of fuel. Or $22.00 per electric fill up for 400 miles versus $68.00 for my 20 gallon/400 mile fill up in my Q5. Works for me! I know you Tesla folks will say the Model X is a good comp for the e-tron and you could make that case. And the X will be more energy efficient. Then it becomes a fit and finish discussion over efficiency. To each their own.

Last edited by njjoe; 05-09-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Fix typo
njjoe is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY Metro
Posts: 120
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
I'm no expert, but comparing the e-tron to an i3 is like comparing a Lambo to a Kia (no offense Kia owners). The e-tron is heavier and more powerful. Another perspective, my Q5 drinks about 20MPG @$3.40 gallon (in my area). 20 miles @ 0.5 KW per mile is $1.10 (I pay 11 cents per KW). A third the cost of fuel. Or $22.00 per electric fill up for 400 miles versus $68.00 for my 20 gallon/400 mile fill up in my Q5. Works for me! I know you Tesla folks will say the Model X is a good comp for the e-tron and you could make that case. And the X will be more energy efficient. Then it becomes a fit and finish discussion over efficiency. To each their own.
I'm not complaining. I charge for free. I was just throwing the numbers out there for those that care.
bugout is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 349
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I think right now we all have Edition One models with the 21" wheels. It will be interesting to hear from 19" aero wheel owners when they start getting in to owners hands. Undoubtedly, the 21" wheels are hurting efficiency.
alexlear is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alexlear View Post
I think right now we all have Edition One models with the 21" wheels. It will be interesting to hear from 19" aero wheel owners when they start getting in to owners hands. Undoubtedly, the 21" wheels are hurting efficiency.
You are probably right. EVs are very sensitive to wheel size and weight. The 2 mi/kW sounds similar to the i Pace. So, if the e-tron has 84 kW available, that suggests a roughly 170 mile real world range, with the 21 inch wheels. The weather should be pretty ideal at the moment, not too hot, not too cold. I'm sure the EPA range was based on the 19 inch wheels. Audi loves to promote the larger wheels, though.
DMcDnald is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Range - Real World


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: