Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Best Range - Real World

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eone
At about 300+ miles of driving my eTron Edition One is averaging 1.9 mi/kw. It did show 202 miles of range when I picked it up at the dealer since then it has never shown more than 172 miles of range after a full 100% charge.
After 750 miles of driving, the Edition One is at 2.1 mi//kw. It's not great.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pkulak
Ouch! I hope you spend most of your time doing 85, or that's not too great at all.
I know its awful. From my past EV's I always got better then manufacture a stated range by 5% to 10% mainly because
I drive in ECO mode and in commuter traffic. I guess I will have to adjust to an eTron with a range of 172 miles.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

delete

Last edited by theo1000; 05-20-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As I see these mileage estimates and real world use come in...I am asking myself if I always want to 'hypermile' in order to get good range. Many of my commutes and daily driving are rather mundane. But even so I have a Macan GTS, and I do get spirited. I would hate to be so focused on the mileage that there is no enjoyment in the drive. So, starting @172 miles of range after a charge, then a little spirited driving takes me under 100 miles of range.....will I always back off and hyper mile to get to the end of the day. Urgh

Currently my workplace does not have charging. So do I charge Level 2 a few miles away...then walk, bike or Uber to work? And if I need the car then reverse the above? Doesn't make sense....except to my SA

So.....need more data from y'all

This is part of the $90k ? Will I be happy daily or stressed?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

As I keep saying being able to do a full days activities on a single charge is very important regardless of the trip distances. You need to not trigger range anxiety every day with my MS90D I never did. Now currently I have a BMW i3s (124 miles) and a Audi eTron ( showing avr. 172 miles ) Coming next year I have a Taycan reservation (300 estimated miles) and a RIvian SUV reservation (400 miles ) if around 150 miles a day works for you maximum all in driving then get the eTron it is a fantastic car period.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

The range reports are very helpful. Keep them coming! We have quite a range of consumption reports - 1.9 mi/kwh to 3 mi/kwh. It would be interesting to know what the driving conditions were, i.e. ave mph, temp, flat/hilly, city/highway, relaxed/spirited driving. BTW, to what percentage are you guys charging your batteries? 80%, 90%, 100%? Thanks for your pioneering efforts!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since Audi already set the car up at the factory to not use or have access the full 95Kw battery system and instead limited it to 85% I charge it 100%. On my Tesla I could choose to make it charge to 100% If I was doing an occasional long trip otherwise I just did 80% on the Tesla. It is also frustrating that Audi claimed originally we would get 240 miles then last month adjusted that number down the 201 miles range they stated this was real-world actual miles, they wanted to give the owner a fixed correct number of miles/range. Well that is not the case at all it really is a car with repeat range at full charge of 180 miles when driven normally

Last edited by Eone; 05-21-2019 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hgmobile1 (07-04-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seem to consistently be at 1.9 m/kWh on the drive to work and a consistent 2.3 m/kWh on my drive home. Same route, but I just noticed yesterday that it's slightly downhill on the way home. So maybe that's the difference. Commute is in town/city driving, fairly leisurely drive. Hitting 40 mph is the max. Car is in Eco mode with auto regen set. Temps between low 60's & low 70's.

I've only charged twice. Both times were at work on our free Clipper Creek chargers and I forgot to limit so it charged to 100%.
Side note - the mileage showing at 100% charge was 252 miles the first time and 255 miles the second time. (I apparently got the secret extra range update ). We'll see what happens as time goes on. This has been interesting.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eone
Since Audi already set the car up at the factory to not use or have access the full 95Kw battery system and instead limited it to 85% I charge it 100%. On my Tesla I could choose to make it charge to 100% If I was doing an occasional long trip otherwise I just did 80% on the Tesla. It is also frustrating that Audi claimed originally we would get 240 miles then last month adjusted that number down the 201 miles range they stated this was real-world actual miles, they wanted to give the owner a fixed correct number of miles/range. Well that is not the case at all it really is a car with repeat range at full charge of 180 miles when driven normally
Charging to 100% is not advisable because then you’re not using the maximum recuperation the car can do. This will force you to use the mechanical braking which lowers your efficiency, hence the poor consumption numbers. And reaching the same consumption every day makes the car update the range downwards. In my test drive I have seen that maximum recuperation starts around 80%, I guess that is why it is recommended to charge only to 80% every day, so that you can always benefit from the maximum recuperation which in return will give better range.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gabibistrita
Charging to 100% is not advisable because then you’re not using the maximum recuperation the car can do. This will force you to use the mechanical braking which lowers your efficiency, hence the poor consumption numbers. And reaching the same consumption every day makes the car update the range downwards. In my test drive I have seen that maximum recuperation starts around 80%, I guess that is why it is recommended to charge only to 80% every day, so that you can always benefit from the maximum recuperation which in return will give better range.
they claimed the buffer was top and bottom, so 95-83/2 = 6 kWh top + bottom after charging to 100%

Quick Reply: Best Range - Real World