Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Best Range - Real World

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

In a sense, driving an EV is like investing in the stock market. Past results do not guarantee future performance.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Eone
You mean your Niro ICE hybrid... I’m not asking for that please go back and read the tread.. You’re totally missing the point it’s just bull**** to try to compute an average EV’s consumption when you have absolutely no idea of the terrain the car is traveling on day after day. Yes I agree they should fine compute as much as they can while driving during a charge cycle that totally makes sense but drastically reducing the expected range of the vehicle based on prior driving only gives you range anxiety when there is absolutely no reason for it.
I understand what you're saying here. Here's my take:
There are two directions Audi could have gone with this: Use recent past experience to estimate range, or assume the future range will be the maximum rated range. I think they got it right by choosing the former. There are very few situations where you're going to get full range, unless your driving style or the roads you commonly travel provide for that, in which case the car will project a higher range number based on that experience. Most people drive the same roads all the time,so it's a safer bet (and generally more accurate) for Audi to base their range projections on past use. Additionally, as the owner/driver of the car, you already know from experience what the max and/or rated range is, so you can use your human intelligence to know that if your upcoming route is going to be less taxing on the batteries, you're going to get more range, i.e. you already know, in a situation like you describe, that you're going to get better range than what is listed in the instrument cluster. This should not give you range anxiety. There's no way that the car can know where you're about to drive, so it's estimating based on experience, which I think is the best it can do under any circumstances. I think most people would rather have the car under-promise and over-deliver, than the other way around. Ultimately, only the driver knows their upcoming route. As long as you know that the indicated range is based on where you've recently driven, you can estimate much better than the car can, what your upcoming range will be. IMO it's counterintuitive for the car to always display, at full charge, a range that's maxed out.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About to go out for the weekend. Confident I’ll get close to this based off my observations the last few weeks.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliantg

About to go out for the weekend. Confident I’ll get close to this based off my observations the last few weeks.
That's a good range estimation for sure, however, if you're taking highways, it will take 55-60mph with eco-AC to achieve that in optimal conditions based on my testing.

Have you been driving on 30-45mph roads without many stops to achieve that average? That isn't consistent with other averages I've seen.

Good luck with the trip and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's speed limit freeway mixed in with surface streets. Eco AC has been on/off, depending on if it's hot. I've been trying to not out smart the regen and let automatic and cruise control do their things, and that has been netting me a lot more range than trying to manually do regen.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for an EV. I've driven pretty much all of them to this point. Going to drive the e-tron tommorrow! Curious to this topic, if you use the NAV and input a destination, does the estimated range change, taking into account the terrain, etc. of the planned trip, or does it remain based only on past performance?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPeteEV
I'm in the market for an EV. I've driven pretty much all of them to this point. Going to drive the e-tron tommorrow! Curious to this topic, if you use the NAV and input a destination, does the estimated range change, taking into account the terrain, etc. of the planned trip, or does it remain based only on past performance?
Definitely takes elevation into account when estimating level of charge for a specific routing. Been looking at SF Bay Area to Tahoe and the range is adjusted. You'll also notice that the range circle on the nav is irregular.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Prestige with 21” wheels and put about 500 miles on the car. I have been getting 2.2-2.6 mi/kwh with a mix of mostly local and some highway (driving normally, no conscious hypermiling). My commute in mostly flat with occasional hills. I was able to get as high as 2.8 mi/kWh on the highway with some stop and go traffic. I drive on Auto with regen also set to auto. I charged to 100% today and got a range of 217 miles. BTW, fantastic car!
Old 06-06-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Any current e-tron owners do any long distance highway trips with charging stops along the way? Can you share your experience and consumption numbers? Wheel size, weather, terrain are helpful to know.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's some basic info: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...sting-2972220/

I've got a 2000 mile trip coming up. I'll be taking data/notes but if there's anything you'd specifically like to know, I'd be happy to help.

Quick Reply: Best Range - Real World