Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Best "secret" mode for spirited driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best "secret" mode for spirited driving

This may be old news to some but the secret best mode for spirited driving is not Dynamic. It's actually Efficiency with the drivetrain in D or S. Why? Both Dynamic and Efficiency set the default ride height to level 2 instead of 3. But unlike Dynamic, Efficiency keeps the steering effort light and keeps the suspension supple. The biggest advantage though is that Efficiency will lower ride height to level 1 at only 50 mph (sustained for 30 seconds) while Dynamic will not go to level 1 until 87 mph. Even better, Efficiency will keep the car at Level 1 as long as you stay above 22 mph (or if you dip below for less than 12 seconds) while Dynamic will raise the suspension back up if you go below 70 mph. Level 1 drops the ride height by a full inch (down to 5.8 inches) which is very noticeable in the corners with the already low center of mass while maintaining the outstanding ride quality.

The car will only switch to the E drive mode when you first select Efficiency (slower throttle response, max 75% power unless you push the pedal through the Boost detent). After that, it will go to D every time you drive. Put it in S and you have a family-friendly Taycan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vorch:
marraccinijd (04-15-2021), Papavatsky (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorch
This may be old news to some but the secret best mode for spirited driving is not Dynamic. It's actually Efficiency with the drivetrain in D or S. Why? Both Dynamic and Efficiency set the default ride height to level 2 instead of 3. But unlike Dynamic, Efficiency keeps the steering effort light and keeps the suspension supple. The biggest advantage though is that Efficiency will lower ride height to level 1 at only 50 mph (sustained for 30 seconds) while Dynamic will not go to level 1 until 87 mph. Even better, Efficiency will keep the car at Level 1 as long as you stay above 22 mph (or if you dip below for less than 12 seconds) while Dynamic will raise the suspension back up if you go below 70 mph. Level 1 drops the ride height by a full inch (down to 5.8 inches) which is very noticeable in the corners with the already low center of mass while maintaining the outstanding ride quality.

The car will only switch to the E drive mode when you first select Efficiency (slower throttle response, max 75% power unless you push the pedal through the Boost detent). After that, it will go to D every time you drive. Put it in S and you have a family-friendly Taycan.
Interesting. How would this compare to the "sport" settings in the Individual drive mode?
Old 04-15-2021, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There is no way to set the suspension to Efficiency in the Individual mode.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorch

What's the ride height in Comfort mode?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The same as Auto (level 3). 6.8", down to 6.3" (level 2) above 75 mph. I haven't personally confirmed it but Auto will supposedly go down to level 1 (5.8") above 87 mph. You can watch it in real time when you are driving on the drive mode selection screen.

This graphic is from another E-tron forum, no idea who the original author is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vorch:
Lucken2 (04-15-2021), marraccinijd (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:22 PM
Terlonz

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

This has been discussed before but I am glad you brought it up again. It's good info for new owners. 99% of my driving for the last 18 months has been in efficiency mode for the reasons you describe. For rapid acceleration choose S and then go back to D when you like.

Besides, it ALWAYS cool when you come to a stop after driving on the freeway, and a moment later the air suspension pops back up to regular ride height.

Last edited by mtberman; 04-15-2021 at 12:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mtberman:
marraccinijd (04-15-2021), theo1000 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I used to use Efficiency on the highways but found that the ride quality suffered on rougher roads so am now just leaving things in Auto. It was a matter of hitting the suspension bump stops a bit too often at the lower ride height.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lkfoster
I used to use Efficiency on the highways but found that the ride quality suffered on rougher roads so am now just leaving things in Auto. It was a matter of hitting the suspension bump stops a bit too often at the lower ride height.
I am considering to take the E-tron on a longer road trip in a couple months. I thought of using efficiency mode then instead of auto, the mode I usually have it set to. But last time I checked the mileage numbers on Audi's German website, the difference between auto and efficiency was just a single kilometer in range, i.e. less than a mile. So I figured it probably is not worth taking the reduction in comfort.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasW
I am considering to take the E-tron on a longer road trip in a couple months. I thought of using efficiency mode then instead of auto, the mode I usually have it set to. But last time I checked the mileage numbers on Audi's German website, the difference between auto and efficiency was just a single kilometer in range, i.e. less than a mile. So I figured it probably is not worth taking the reduction in comfort.
Dropping the drive height by an entire inch would substantially improve aerodynamics so I'm not sure if they're just being conservative.
I've only done a single similar 150mile loop in Individual setting(level 2 ride height) vs Efficiency Mode(Level 1 ride height) that averages about 70mph. Got maybe a 5 mile rage improvement in efficiency mode but it was about 10 degrees warmer(50F vs 60F) so hard to tell.

Edit: Coming from prior sport sedans, even at Level 1 ride height, the comfort is still better than my Caddy or Bimmer M3. The damping is just a bit stiffer and transmits sudden jolts a bit more. I think it is still very comfortable.

Last edited by BimmerCaddyAudi; 04-19-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
This has been discussed before but I am glad you brought it up again. It's good info for new owners. 99% of my driving for the last 18 months has been in efficiency mode for the reasons you describe. For rapid acceleration choose S and then go back to D when you like.

Besides, it ALWAYS cool when you come to a stop after driving on the freeway, and a moment later the air suspension pops back up to regular ride height.
Good thread, I have been in Efficiency mode since day 1 thinking it would squeeze the greatest miles from charging, but I was often puzzled when the car would strangely "lift up" at stops.... now I know

Quick Reply: Best "secret" mode for spirited driving