Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

Boston E-Tron Club

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

Boston E-Tron Club

Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just been told my vehicle is at the port in Rhode Island, where they're doing whatever it is they do there. It will reportedly be at the dealer (Natick) in 3 to 5 weeks. So I guess it's more than just wash and vacuum!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tangible View Post
I've just been told my vehicle is at the port in Rhode Island, where they're doing whatever it is they do there. It will reportedly be at the dealer (Natick) in 3 to 5 weeks. So I guess it's more than just wash and vacuum!
It was 16 days for my car to get from the port in RI to delivery to me at Westwood Audi. I think the 3-5 weeks estimate is their attempt to under-promise and over-deliver. Although Photonix has had a prolonged wait time, I believe.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Photonix View Post
I hope others will join me in welcoming Boston EV drivers of any brand to the group. My car was not ready for pickup last week as promised but I am set to take delivery today. Hope to post some photos to add to the great ones already here.
I think a get together is definitely in order. Any other Boston area folks waiting on delivery or have I managed to bring up the rear on the first wave of reservation holders?
How'd it go? Is there an e-tron in your driveway?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any other Boston area folks waiting on delivery or have I managed to bring up the rear on the first wave of reservation holders?

Old 07-02-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It feels like it has been an eternity but I am happy to report that I finally have my e-tron. My impressions are largely the same as from my initial test drive with some notable additions. I realize now that I never engaged the full throttle during my test drive. It is still not Tesla level acceleration but it is more than enough for all but drag racing and a pleasant increase over what I remembered. The Galaxy Blue paint looks VERY different in sun and shade or at night. In direct light it reads as blue with a hint of green. In indirect light or at night it leans towards teal and reads as black from a distance. I have never had a car with such a chameleon like appearance and am very pleased with my color choice. The seats are way more comfortable than I remember and have a number of additional adjustments that can only be made in the MMI that I did not realize were there (bolsters for thighs and back and adjustable thigh support). I also never tested the massage function which I am pleased to report is very enjoyable. I am confident I will be using this function every day during my commute. As I write this I am tempted to go into the garage and recline the seat back for another session. Because the car is rather dark and I selected black interior (also very pleased with this choice) it heats up considerably in the sun. I was very impressed with how quickly the cabin reaches a comfortable temperature. Three times faster than my i3 which has a fraction of the cabin volume. The ventilated seats on the other hand did not seem to produce much of a difference. Perhaps they would if I wore shorts. The voice commands are another unexpected joy. You can control almost every function on the car with a voice command not to mention having your text or email messages read out loud to you. Press and hold the voice command button for 2 seconds and you get access to your phones voice commands. I am very much enjoying the MMI systems despite the fact that many functions are buried in less than intuitive locations. The only thing missing (at least I have not found it yet is tire pressure readout). Dealer delivered the car with incorrect tire pressures so I had to bring them to spec. You then have the option to store these value in the TPMS. No way to read those values back, however. The seat belt adds a little tension after you begin driving. It is a very good idea and super cool. I downloaded my iPhone contacts and assigned family members to shortcut keys. Because I had those contacts tagged with images, they show up on the MMI. Very, very cool. The backup cameras, 3D views are very nice. Still need to check and see how accurate they are before trusting them completely. Love the HUD, especially while navigating. The bar graph showing distance to the next turn is very useful.

Things I am not happy about. I wish there was a third click on the regenerative braking paddle that would give true one pedal driving. I have mine set in manual mode but have to click the paddle twice every time I start the car. What is the point of a manual adjustment that I have to reengage every time I start the car. I am praying for a SW update to add these two features. The turning radius is not great, especially compared to my i3. I wish the blind spot alerts also had an option for audible warning in addition to the flashing lights on the mirrors. CarPlay works very well but you need to go into the telephone menu to switch back to normal MMI (not intuitive). The lane keeper does not impress me. It complains when you take your hands off the steering wheel. If my hands are going to be on the wheel then steering is not much extra work. I have been known to eat a drive thru meal or ice cream while steering with my knees. If the capacitance sensor detects knees I will take back all my complaints. The lane departure vibration is useful and I will probably keep it on all of the time just for that feature.

The e-tron is not going to appeal to everyone but it is the closest to what I have been looking for and I am glad I stuck out the wait.

The following 4 users liked this post by Photonix:
A4rooster (07-03-2019), brunswick496 (07-02-2019), e-tronDriver (07-03-2019), Larry David (07-02-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful. I wish it would have worked out for me to take my delivery. I'm loving my deep blue Model 3, but it is not as lux as the e-tron. I'm blown away by the rocket-like acceleration of the Model 3 (LR, AWD). I also am enjoying the almost 1-pedal driving. I have found the M3 to be very efficient so far. Not using much a/c lately and energy usage in my 20 mile commute has been 160s Wh/mi. I hope I get to see all the Boston area e-trons at a get together soon. Enjoy the e-trons.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

It feels like it has been an eternity but I am happy to report that I finally have my e-tron. My impressions are largely the same as from my initial test drive with some notable additions. I realize now that I never engaged the full throttle during my test drive. It is still not Tesla level acceleration but it is more than enough for all but drag racing and a pleasant increase over what I remembered. The Galaxy Blue paint looks VERY different in sun and shade or at night. In direct light it reads as blue with a hint of green. In indirect light or at night it leans towards teal and reads as black from a distance. I have never had a car with such a chameleon like appearance and am very pleased with my color choice. The seats are way more comfortable than I remember and have a number of additional adjustments that can only be made in the MMI that I did not realize were there (bolsters for thighs and back and adjustable thigh support). I also never tested the massage function which I am pleased to report is very enjoyable. I am confident I will be using this function every day during my commute. As I write this I am tempted to go into the garage and recline the seat back for another session. Because the car is rather dark and I selected black interior (also very pleased with this choice) it heats up considerably in the sun. I was very impressed with how quickly the cabin reaches a comfortable temperature. Three times faster than my i3 which has a fraction of the cabin volume. The ventilated seats on the other hand did not seem to produce much of a difference. Perhaps they would if I wore shorts. The voice commands are another unexpected joy. You can control almost every function on the car with a voice command not to mention having your text or email messages read out loud to you. Press and hold the voice command button for 2 seconds and you get access to your phones voice commands. I am very much enjoying the MMI systems despite the fact that many functions are buried in less than intuitive locations. The only thing missing (at least I have not found it yet is tire pressure readout). Dealer delivered the car with incorrect tire pressures so I had to bring them to spec. You then have the option to store these value in the TPMS. No way to read those values back, however. The seat belt adds a little tension after you begin driving. It is a very good idea and super cool. I downloaded my iPhone contacts and assigned family members to shortcut keys. Because I had those contacts tagged with images, they show up on the MMI. Very, very cool. The backup cameras, 3D views are very nice. Still need to check and see how accurate they are before trusting them completely. Love the HUD, especially while navigating. The bar graph showing distance to the next turn is very useful.

Things I am not happy about. I wish there was a third click on the regenerative braking paddle that would give true one pedal driving. I have mine set in manual mode but have to click the paddle twice every time I start the car. What is the point of a manual adjustment that I have to reengage every time I start the car. I am praying for a SW update to add these two features. The turning radius is not great, especially compared to my i3. I wish the blind spot alerts also had an option for audible warning in addition to the flashing lights on the mirrors. CarPlay works very well but you need to go into the telephone menu to switch back to normal MMI (not intuitive). The lane keeper does not impress me. It complains when you take your hands off the steering wheel. If my hands are going to be on the wheel then steering is not much extra work. I have been known to eat a drive thru meal or ice cream while steering with my knees. If the capacitance sensor detects knees I will take back all my complaints. The lane departure vibration is useful and I will probably keep it on all of the time just for that feature.

The e-tron is not going to appeal to everyone but it is the closest to what I have been looking for and I am glad I stuck out the wait.
Congratulations, finally! Regarding your comment on the ventilated seats, make sure the fan speed is set to high. IIRC there are three fan speeds available. You should be able to feel the cool air. Also, you're correct, there is no tire pressure readout. My tires were set incorrectly at delivery as well, although my experience with Audi recommended pressures is that they're too high. Pay close attention to your tire wear, you may see too much wear in the center of the tire, which means they're overinflated. I generally set mine 3-5 PSI below Audi's recommendations to get even tire wear and protect against premature replacement costs.
I have found that the best time to use the lane keeper is on highway drives at speed. I drove from Providence to Needham on I-95 last weekend with the cruise control and lane-keeping assist on, and it worked perfectly. At low speed or on curvy roads, not so much.

Last edited by e-tronDriver; 07-05-2019 at 09:07 AM.