Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Bummer... US e-Tron Quattro does not get new electronic/camera side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bummer... US e-Tron Quattro does not get new electronic/camera side mirrors

When I called Audi today to confirm my e-Tron reservation, I asked the rep why the AudiUSA site shows regular old side mirrors on the e-Tron when they made such a big deal out of the new electronic/camera "digital" side mirrors at the e-Tron reveal in SF yesterday. The rep said, “Yes, we are very disappointed that US safety regulations will not allow them here (yet)”.

I thought, damn, this is totally bogus that we US buyers have to pay the same premium full price and won’t receive all the technology the e-Tron was designed with and offered to the rest of the world.

On another note...
At $80k there are a lot of choices. I’m disappointed in the 400km (250 miles) range announced yesterday. Yeah, yeah they say "range will be a thing of the past with all the charging stations" they’re installing nationwide... but, honestly I’d rather recharge for 30+ minutes every 300-350-400 miles than every 250 miles.

Also, according to the Audi rep I spoke with today, you will not be able to charge at any Tesla charging stations. I find it odd that although Tesla purposefully did not patent their automotive build technology in order to encourage competition, they are not offering to share their chargers with other manufacturers. I sort of get it, but wouldn’t it be easier if we all had the same plug and/or could charge at the same locations? Same could be said for phones, but I digress.

In my opinion, the e-Tron is a nice first offering from Audi, but hopefully, there will be much nicer in a few years.

Last edited by TYJ; 09-18-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Not even a little surprised. US always behind on accepting innovation like that.

Last edited by gk1; 09-27-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Not even a little surprised. US always behind on innovation like that.
I kind of understand, though. A physical mirror is less likely to spontaneously fail.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had my front/rear cameras suddenly go black in my S5 a couple of times, and one time they didn't recover until I turned the car off and started it up again. That would be a bad, bad thing to happen to the side mirrors at speed.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I remember seeing a car on Top Gear, probably 40 years ago that had a rear view camera. Funny we still have issues. (And, I agree my backup camera sometime 'hesitates'.)

Bummer...
- We don't have an Audi option of the e-Golf. Small, nimble, not-a-SUV, hot hatch. With Quattro.
- Range. Are we going to be driving along trying to turn off our heat/AC, rear view cameras (jk), second/third touch screen, power closing doors, LED everything (including seat belt).... Meaning, for a EV, just how much electric powered gizmos do we need?
- wheel options suck
- BlackOptic missing

Not bummer:
- e-tron looks great!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the UK it is illegal to have any device that displays a video feed visible to the driver.
Unless there is a change in the law, we won't get them here either.

Since the USA also disables video when the car is in motion, my guess is there is a similar law in place there too.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digital side mirrors are not because of US behind in innovation, but because of legislation. I remember when Tesla when trying for side cameras. The old US DOT regulations that were made back in the steam engine days (who knows when) were set in place and require manufactures to meet certain specifications and have a side mirror is one of those. I believe legislation to change the legislation is in the works, but probably at least a couple years away the way our government works.

Have you guys seen the ugly mini bumpers some super/hyper cars have to stick on their beautiful rear-end? same reason. So goes for laser headlights and matrix LEDs. We're so behind compared to ROW.

-ThinkMac-
Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Correct, we can thank the US DOT for this. Also for none of the cool as heck matrix LED and laser headlights.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Correct, we can thank the US DOT for this. Also for none of the cool as heck matrix LED and laser headlights.
True, but apparently Matrix LED will be a software update we'll be able to get once DOT approves them.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ithinkmac
Digital side mirrors are not because of US behind in innovation, but because of legislation. I remember when Tesla when trying for side cameras. The old US DOT regulations that were made back in the steam engine days (who knows when) were set in place and require manufactures to meet certain specifications and have a side mirror is one of those. I believe legislation to change the legislation is in the works, but probably at least a couple years away the way our government works.

Have you guys seen the ugly mini bumpers some super/hyper cars have to stick on their beautiful rear-end? same reason. So goes for laser headlights and matrix LEDs. We're so behind compared to ROW.

-ThinkMac-
There is another disadvantage to the snide view cameras and displays. Those of us with older eyes cannot easily focus at both distance and close distance. This will make the close display on the driver’s side door difficult to see clearly compared to looking in a mirror which presents the objects as further away to your eyes. I have seen other forums where people who have used video rear view mirrors complain of this problem. Note that you will also lose depth perception. I would want to use them before I decide if I like them.

Quick Reply: Bummer... US e-Tron Quattro does not get new electronic/camera side mirrors