Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Bummer... US e-Tron Quattro does not get new electronic/camera side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bummer?
Thank god!
What an awful looking mirror, and impractical AF.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if one could be fined if you replaced the mirrors. I imagine that would be possible by parts and coding…
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I kind of understand, though. A physical mirror is less likely to spontaneously fail.
Agreed. Mirrors are rather important for safety reasons. Can't have them at risk for failing as well!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the Canadian Market, and I hope we don't get the digital mirror. I have been watching a few reviews with them, and I am already biased towards normal mirrors. I may change my mind when/if they are an option when I get to pick that. But I'm 99% sold on only having glass mirrors. I hate how they are low and in the door.

As an aside, I'm in the technology industry and not afraid of tech. Hell, my home is a "smart" home that makes decisions on its own for thigs like lighting, hvac, holiday lighting, patio lighting and much more based on weather and trigger events... I just cant shake the feeling that this camera mirror system is going to be a problem in the real world. I also really dislike where the screen is located (not sure if there was a better choice either).

Time will tell... but I don't think I will be disappointed if they are not an option. I will be disappointed if they are the ONLY option however.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will be interesting to see if they are available in Canada and whether then people end up retrofitting them here in the USA. I don't believe Audi would put something in that didn't work well in such a key safety area, but I haven't read the reviews either.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Audi will do a fine job with the technology itself, I am concerned the technology itself will not be ready or work as we expect it. The early review comments so far have been the screen gives off a great deal of heat and the placement / visibility in bright sun / angle of view. I am also worried about climates where we get that white haze buildup in the winters (the salts and deicer) My rear view camera is not even usable after a 10 min drive in the winter with the chinooks we have in Alberta. (warm air comes in over the mountains and starts to melt the snow).

If the production versions of those screen give off the heat that some of the more in-depth reviews are commenting on, that is going to mean issues. Basically everyone is wondering how it will play out in real life. Only time will tell I guess...