Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

To buy a 25kwh Dc and above?

Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To buy a 25kwh Dc and above?

So let’s assume that the cost we’re not prohibitive, and powers we’re available for Level 3 at 25 kWh and above...

Due to the fact there are no level 3 chargers within a reasonable distance, and time is a factor of life...if you wanted to install a level 3 or even partner with a provider who would entertain your dream...where would you start?

is a 25kw DC charger affordable on any sane level and will it achieve our goal of fast charging? If not, at what level does level 3 make any affordable sense, Especially when you factor in the time to charge?

I don’t know if 25 or even 50 would be anough to accomplish my goal, as I’m not an electrician, etc. however, I did stay at a holiday inn last night....
Old 05-13-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Having DC charging setup at your home would be pretty cost prohibitive, not to mention the permits that you would need and most residential areas are not equipped to have a level 3 charging station installed. Also, in the long run, the slower rate of level 2 charging is better for overall battery health. Long story short, it's really not feasible.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for your input. Actually, my home is above a commercial building that we own, and separately near by I have a second commercial building where both are possible.

As for cost, that’s the question. There’s a limit to what’s reasonable, but if it’s the only level 3 in our corridor, then it maybe makes sense. Let’s assume that the nearest 3 phase power was within reasonable reach, what type of dc charger would do the trick? Would a dc 25 be enough or it that pissing in the wind. Charger alone are we talking 10k and above?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you contacted electrify America ?
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/submissions
At this time, we welcome the following input:

1. Specific site locations – Specific site locations you would like to nominate for consideration in Cycle 2 infrastructure investments.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This may be of some help: https://www.plugincars.com/ev-chargi...usinesses.html
Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

TLDR: "Commonly, installing a networked Quick Charger costs between $600 to $1,800 per foot from the nearest utility transformer. In other words, a Quick Charger installed 20 feet from a power line will set you back as much as $20,000 to $30,000. DCQC equipment itself costs about $10,000 to $40,000 before installation."
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MKSurfPhoto
Have you contacted electrify America ?
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/submissions
At this time, we welcome the following input:

1. Specific site locations – Specific site locations you would like to nominate for consideration in Cycle 2 infrastructure investments.
I did reach out to Electrify America, at least twice.....Crickets.

Our town, even if it were not on my land, makes total sense for the location of where we are in relation to travel points. We are about 1/2 way between Albany Ny and Plattsburgh. We are directly off I-87 Northway sandwiched between two or more easy access exits and our main road through town runs parallel to the Northway. We have a solid economy, and I sound like a stinking politician which I’m not so I’ll stop.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EditionOne
TLDR: "Commonly, installing a networked Quick Charger costs between $600 to $1,800 per foot from the nearest utility transformer. In other words, a Quick Charger installed 20 feet from a power line will set you back as much as $20,000 to $30,000. DCQC equipment itself costs about $10,000 to $40,000 before installation."
Is that all? Why doesn’t everyone want one?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by suprspdway
Thank you for your input. Actually, my home is above a commercial building that we own, and separately near by I have a second commercial building where both are possible.

As for cost, that’s the question. There’s a limit to what’s reasonable, but if it’s the only level 3 in our corridor, then it maybe makes sense. Let’s assume that the nearest 3 phase power was within reasonable reach, what type of dc charger would do the trick? Would a dc 25 be enough or it that pissing in the wind. Charger alone are we talking 10k and above?
25kw would take about 4 hours if charging from dead. As seen from above though, it just doesn't make much financial sense to do.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The ChargePoint 62.5 KW station is like 39 grand. You can additionally hook it to a Power Cube that has 37.5KW modules that will power multiple "pumps" (so you can charge at 150KW or above). The major problem is that it takes 400V 3 phase, which no one has at home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To buy a 25kwh Dc and above?