Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Cap Cost, Residual Percentage and Money Factor

Old 06-11-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by viqchen
That's too bad to hear. Perhaps to try with other "sales" or dealership. I was able to negotiate to MF 0.0023 but now e-tron is stop-sales due to some potential issue.
That potential issue is discussed here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...trons-2973768/
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

That's too bad to hear. Perhaps to try with other "sales" or dealership. I was able to negotiate to MF 0.0023 but now e-tron is stop-sales due to some potential issue.
Only some are stop sale. Others are still able to be sold.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

36 mth 12k miles/yr @50% residual & 0.0023 MF is good ...
I am considering leasing instead of the usual buying and am wondering are these open leases in the sense that the buyer has the option of buying the car at the end of the lease for the residual value?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
I am considering leasing instead of the usual buying and am wondering are these open leases in the sense that the buyer has the option of buying the car at the end of the lease for the residual value?
Yes
Old 06-13-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Yes
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all leases are "closed-end," which benefits the lessee -- you and me. If you purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, it doesn't matter if the lease is a closed-end or an open-end lease--you pay the residual amount stated in the lease and the vehicle is yours.

Where is does matter is if you decide not to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease. In that case, in an open-ended lease you owe the lessor (Audi Financial) the difference between the residual amount stated in the lease and the actual market value of the vehicle. If in fact the market value of the e-tron has plummeted at the end of the lease, the lessee could owe Audi Financial a substantial additional payment.

This is my understanding from having generally leased vehicles over the years. I always make it a point to ask the finance manager to point out two provisions in the lease agreement: 1) the closed-end lease provision and 2) the inclusion of "gap insurance." Both were always important to me.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default don't understand

After receiving a 9,800 cap reduction, no sales tax in NJ and a trade in allowance of 38,000.00, with 2,500.00 down, your monthly payment is 1283.00. what am I failing to comprehend?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, I get it, they owe you 299.00. monthly cost was listed on a standard form
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Audi Owner
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all leases are "closed-end," which benefits the lessee -- you and me. If you purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, it doesn't matter if the lease is a closed-end or an open-end lease--you pay the residual amount stated in the lease and the vehicle is yours.

Where is does matter is if you decide not to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease. In that case, in an open-ended lease you owe the lessor (Audi Financial) the difference between the residual amount stated in the lease and the actual market value of the vehicle. If in fact the market value of the e-tron has plummeted at the end of the lease, the lessee could owe Audi Financial a substantial additional payment.

This is my understanding from having generally leased vehicles over the years. I always make it a point to ask the finance manager to point out two provisions in the lease agreement: 1) the closed-end lease provision and 2) the inclusion of "gap insurance." Both were always important to me.
never seen an open end car lease and I’ve leased 16 cars from various brands in 19 years. Audi is not an open end lease. Nor is BMW, MB, Porsche, Aston, Volvo, GM, etc.

GAP is part of any lease I’ve ever seen. It’s optional (state by state basis) on most car loans.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
never seen an open end car lease and I’ve leased 16 cars from various brands in 19 years. Audi is not an open end lease. Nor is BMW, MB, Porsche, Aston, Volvo, GM, etc.
GAP is part of any lease I’ve ever seen. It’s optional (state by state basis) on most car loans.
I guess I am older than many on this forum as I have been leasing cars since the early 80's. Always made sense as I used my cars in business so the tax deduction was optimum. Way back when banks leased more cars than the financial arms of manufacturers it was not uncommon to be offered both open-end and closed-end leases. I can also remember leases before gap insurance was offered.

This is why I was surprised when you posted "yes" to perlfather's inquiry:

SCarGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlfather
Yes

You are correct that all leases have gap insurance and the only one being used today are closed-end leases, but old habits die hard, so I suppose I will always ask. Best regards.