Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

Capacitive sensor driver attention system

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

Capacitive sensor driver attention system

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Capacitive sensor driver attention system

The current Audi traffic jam assist system requires the driver to apply brief torque on the steering wheel every once in a while to keep the system enabled if it doesn't sense your hands on the wheel. Early after the e-tron reveal last year there were reports that the US would get a capacitive steering wheel sensor that could detect your hand without having to apply torque. Has anyone been able to confirm this functionality in person or have more information about it?

Here is an article and video claiming this functionality:

https://www.slashgear.com/2019-audi-...view-08557260/

Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now that cars are being delivered, can someone confirm if the steering assist wheel sensor is torque based or capacitive? (i.e. does it require you to nudge the steering wheel on occasion to sense hands-on. Or can you just hold the wheel normally?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear View Post
Now that cars are being delivered, can someone confirm if the steering assist wheel sensor is torque based or capacitive? (i.e. does it require you to nudge the steering wheel on occasion to sense hands-on. Or can you just hold the wheel normally?

Thanks!
If it has capacitive touch registration it might explain that lack of heated steering wheel.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do not know it has capacitive touch registration, but heated steering wheel is an option in EU.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by anemeth View Post
I do not know it has capacitive touch registration, but heated steering wheel is an option in EU.
I'm not sure where I heard it but it was specifically mentioned that it was the US cars that were getting the capacitive sensor. That lines up with what you're saying, although I don't feel closer to a definitive answer.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear View Post
I'm not sure where I heard it but it was specifically mentioned that it was the US cars that were getting the capacitive sensor.
I found the source of this info. It was in the Electrek video podcast at the 9 minute mark.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Picked up my etron Edition One on Tuesday; I don't need to torque the steering wheel, so does that mean its capacitive? I will check on the heated steering wheel in a moment.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mmulet View Post
Picked up my etron Edition One on Tuesday; I don't need to torque the steering wheel, so does that mean its capacitive? I will check on the heated steering wheel in a moment.
Are you holding it tight enough already for it to sense you?

Might be capacitive and if so, I love it. That's the way all these systems should work. The concept of tugging at the wheel every 30 seconds is ridiculous.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, no heated steering wheel on the Edition One; at least I couldn't find any setting for it. So, combined with the fact that you just have to touch it "lightly" to make your presence known, I'd have to say it is capacitive.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove my Edition 1 for over 50 miles today ( on day 1), it is hard to tell. At first it felt like I have to press harder. but then I figured that if I keep lightly rubbing the leather part of the steering wheel, it doesn't complain. Therefore, I am now quite sure it is capacitance sensing. May be I should try a pair of Latex gloves :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Capacitive sensor driver attention system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: