Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Charge Timer Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charge Timer Confusion

Hello!

I set advanced charging settings for my home, of a desired target of 80% and a preferred charge window of 11pm to 7am. When I plugged in at 6pm, it started charging even though it said that advanced home settings are active. There is a more general setting for timer, which only asks departure time. If I set that to 9am and turn it on, it will say "waiting to charge".

My question is, is the preferred charging window in the advanced settings only active with that "departure" time timer as well? End of the day, I want my car to charge to 80% every night, starting at 11pm to 7am to take advantage of lower rates, is this how to do it?
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (12-12-2021)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliantg
Hello!

I set advanced charging settings for my home, of a desired target of 80% and a preferred charge window of 11pm to 7am. When I plugged in at 6pm, it started charging even though it said that advanced home settings are active. There is a more general setting for timer, which only asks departure time. If I set that to 9am and turn it on, it will say "waiting to charge".

My question is, is the preferred charging window in the advanced settings only active with that "departure" time timer as well? End of the day, I want my car to charge to 80% every night, starting at 11pm to 7am to take advantage of lower rates, is this how to do it?
So happy to see that I'm not the only one who's completely confused by this... :-)
Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I 'think' I've figured it out... You have to activate a departure timer for the Home charging setting to take effect. You can do this on the screen that pops up when you turn your car off. THEN the car follows the prefered charging window for the home. I have also noticed that the charger doesn't seem to start at the beginning of the prefered window, instead it starts a a time that ensures you have a full charge at the end of the preferred window.

It isn't as intuitive as you'd like...
SaffsDad (12-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2019, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two different timing schedules...

Our time of use plan has the cheapest rates from 11pm to 7am on weekdays, but on weekends it runs from 7pm to 3pm. I can’t figure out how to create a second timer for weekends. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
muski
Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the app. You can change the repeat from daily to choose any days and send to car

Old 05-11-2019, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. But what do I set the departure time to so that it charges between 7pm Fri and 3pm Sat?
Old 05-12-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by muski
Thanks. But what do I set the departure time to so that it charges between 7pm Fri and 3pm Sat?
I shouldn’t speculate. But I would set one for say 11pm Friday. If the ‘departure time is used to trigger a start it should allow it to keep charging even after the selected time. It’s kind of sad software...
Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeaton
I 'think' I've figured it out... You have to activate a departure timer for the Home charging setting to take effect. You can do this on the screen that pops up when you turn your car off. THEN the car follows the prefered charging window for the home. I have also noticed that the charger doesn't seem to start at the beginning of the prefered window, instead it starts a a time that ensures you have a full charge at the end of the preferred window.

Yep, it works. You need to press the button on the screen when you turn the car off to activate the timer (it will display a red line above the button). When I then activate the charging station, it immediately went in standby mode, waiting to be activated by the car.
Trouble is: after a few hours, my charging station goes into "off" mode, and the car can't re-enable it. As it is a temporary solution (the final station will be installed in a few weeks), I won't bother investigating how to disable that, I'll just wait for the final setup.
I do thing that this is a (minor) weak point of the car, way more complicated then it should be.
SaffsDad (12-12-2021)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeaton

What "Home charging setting" are you referring to (i.e. where is it located). I found the timers easily enough but as you said I don't want charging to START until after 10PM any given evening.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When in the timer screen, hit the "settings" button and you will have the option to select specific "do not charge" times for a specific location, such as your home. Page 111 in the manual. Or at least that's how it is supposed to work; I can't get mine to work right.

Quick Reply: Charge Timer Confusion