AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Charging question... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/charging-question-2968468/)

e-tronDriver 03-08-2019 12:20 PM

Charging question...

I see folks talking about the chargers they're buying and installing. Audi says the e-tron will come with a combination level 1/level 2 charging capsule. Why not use that one instead of buying a JuiceBox or ChargePoint charger?

jeffbtx 03-08-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Beantown S6 V10 (Post 25286814)
I see folks talking about the chargers they're buying and installing. Audi says the e-tron will come with a combination level 1/level 2 charging capsule. Why not use that one instead of buying a JuiceBox or ChargePoint charger?

You can get by with just the Audi-supplied charger but many plan to keep the Audi charger stored in the car for travel and use the installed Jukebox, etc. as a more permanent fixture.

e-tronDriver 03-08-2019 01:30 PM

Makes sense.
Has anyone seen info regarding the amperage of the Audi charger? I see that there are multiple models available for the JuiceBox, 32 amp or 40 amp.

LavaGrau_A3 03-08-2019 01:35 PM

What jeffbtx said. I'm going to need the Audi EVSE to charge free at work, so more convenient to have a permanent EVSE at home. If you have no use for the Audi unit on the road, there's a small wall mount and a more elaborate enclosure that includes cord management. Either way, you're going to need to spend the money (or time) installing a NEMA 14-50 near where you park your e-tron so you can do Level 2 charging. Level 1 takes days.

Also, some utilities and municipalities offer tax credits and rebates for EVSE installation. I remember getting one, but it's been a few years.

jeffbtx 03-08-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Beantown S6 V10 (Post 25286849)
Makes sense.
Has anyone seen info regarding the amperage of the Audi charger? I see that there are multiple models available for the JuiceBox, 32 amp or 40 amp.

As I understand it the 40 amp Jukebox will provide 10kw level 2 charging so from zero to a full charge in 8+ hours or so. On most, if not all, the EV chargers you can ratchet the charging level down if you wanted to. I plan on getting a 40 amp charger since it can be plugged into a dedicated 50 amp circuit using the 14-50 NEMA plug. The Juicebox 75 needs a hardwire installation and a dedicated 100 amp circuit - too much for me.

LavaGrau_A3 03-08-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Beantown S6 V10 (Post 25286849)
Makes sense.

This is from the myAudi website:

Start your day with a freshly charged battery with the included home charging capsule that fully charges the battery in about 9 hours. The 9.6 kW AC charger (level 2, 240-volt/40 amp) plugs into a NEMA 14-50 outlet and is designed to deliver a full charge overnight.

Larry David 03-08-2019 02:12 PM

I installed a hardwired JuiceBox 40 because I want to leave the Audi charger in the car for emergencies when traveling. My other car is a Tesla Model 3 and we did the same thing with it. Hardwired charger and leave the Tesla one in the car for emergencies.

emalamis 09-24-2020 11:57 AM

Does anyone know if the charger that came with the etron regulates how much power it draws in order to not blow a fuse?

BW5 09-24-2020 12:35 PM

only a pure guess...
but since it comes with two plugs, it probably just senses voltage
I'll bet when it senses 120V single phase it'll regulate to 15A
and when it senses 220V it'll go to 48 or there abouts....

It doesn't have a 30A plug so it probably doesn't go there....

skaven81 09-24-2020 12:46 PM

I think if Audi had provided buyers in the US with the wall-mount bracket that came standard for Canadian and European models, it probably wouldn't be as much of a big deal, as removing the Audi charger from the wall bracket and tossing it in the frunk is no big deal. But in the absence of a proper wall-mount bracket. the charger ends up just laying on the ground, or hanging by its cord, or (in my case) held to the wall with some pipe clamps. None of which really make for a trivial "toss it in the frunk" operation. In these cases, having a hard-wired L2 charger would be nice, for the aforementioned reason of keeping the Audi charger always in the frunk.

I never travel far enough to need my portable charger, so mine stays "permanently" mounted to the wall in the garage.

For road trips, I'll remove the pipe clamps and put the Audi charger in the frunk. Though on road trips, I'm mostly charging on CCS anyway. But having the Audi charger is good to cover for an emergency, and/or for charging at my destination.

Even with the tax rebate, I haven't found that the cost of a hard wired charger is worth it: the Audi charger works just fine and I don't find it cumbersome at all to unplug it and toss it in the frunk when I need it on the go.