Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

This costs how much to fix?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This costs how much to fix?!

About a week or so ago, a nor’easter came through and a branch from a tree fell just behind my eTron and scratched the bumper. Luckily, it didn’t even hit the light bar or any other part of the car. So I called my dealer and asked if they had any recommendations for an Autobody shop near my residence. They recommended a shop that was Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley certified in MA. So I took my car there after filing a claim. I received a claim notice from my insurance company that was letting me know that they had paid out a $7,700 claim, minus my $500 deductible to the Autobody shop. I was curious. So I called the shop manager and asked what they had done. I was told that the entire bumper AND all sensors had to be replaced. When asked, they told me that simply painting over the bumper would not be enough because of the special edition one paint the car had. And that the sensors could not be painted or sprayed over. This part I found hard to digest. Anyway, this place has a great reputation and I will be picking up my car this Monday. If I didn’t have a good insurance company like Amica, I would have certainly gawked at the cost they wanted to charge me for repairing a couple cosmetic damage on my bumper. Moral of the story, get a good and reputable insurance company! I have attached a couple pictures of the damage for your amazement.

VINNY

Last edited by vinnysca; 08-22-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:35 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I really struggle with some of that story

ok, a stretch I think that it can't be repainted....
but even if you believe the bumper "needs" to be replaced, why on earth couldn't they just swap the sensors into the new bumper!
that's just silly from any angle I can think to consider it....

starting point is
"same color"
so the sensors would have what, maybe a years worth of weathering and fading so there might be some level of color shift...that would be negligible in my estimation...and the sensors are small, different texture, etc.... so they look different anyway....
AND
whatever little color shift there is new to old....wouldn't that also apply to the adjacent body panels? so by this logic couldn't the adjacent fenders need to be replaced....and the doors adjacent to them....and the trunk hatch....and the roof.....
that's it.... the car is totaled!

systemic industry insurance rip-off if you ask me
The following users liked this post:
Brooklyn (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

This was $8,000. Three broken body parts, crushed parking sensor, broken windshield washer reservoir. And yes, a wet EV as usual.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You weren’t told the estimated cost prior to the repair taking place? No insurance adjuster came out? Sounds kinda fishy.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Those are some brutal charges! These days it's hard to get away without paying thousands of dollars for minor accidents. One of the downsides to all of the technology is that with all of the sensors and radars, any repair also requires a recalibration, which is expensive. Makes me afraid to drive.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
Those are some brutal charges! These days it's hard to get away without paying thousands of dollars for minor accidents. One of the downsides to all of the technology is that with all of the sensors and radars, any repair also requires a recalibration, which is expensive. Makes me afraid to drive.
Labor was about $2000, parts $6000.

I'm afraid to park as well.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV
Labor was about $2000, parts $6000.

I'm afraid to park as well.
Why, that's what insurance is for. Does it matter if it cost 1,000 or 10,000 you are paying the same. If insurance doesn't bother to push back, that's what they get.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Surely your premium will rise? Hell, all of ours will if that’s what these clowns are charging for the repair. Special edition paint? It’s Daytona Gray, a color that has been in the Audi arsenal for years. That’s crazy.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Just paid my Insurance 6 month premium. No wonder that it is so high. I hate getting a ding or scratch but I probably would have just touched that one up. Could happen again tomorrow.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 08-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgreenle
Why, that's what insurance is for. Does it matter if it cost 1,000 or 10,000 you are paying the same. If insurance doesn't bother to push back, that's what they get.
Because your insurance rates will go up. Insurance rates are dependent on your claims history. They might not go up with just 1 claim, but then again they might. And you can't get around it by changing insurance companies. You're claims history is available to insurers just like your credit history is available to creditors. I would never make a claim for a scratch like this.
The following users liked this post:
Brooklyn (08-22-2020)

Quick Reply: This costs how much to fix?!