Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

Cross Shopping the Tesla

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

Cross Shopping the Tesla

Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BonedaleA4 View Post
I think it'll come down to charging infrastructure ultimately. If Electrify America can deliver as they've promised I'll probably choose the e-Tron. Range remains a factor for me but having an Audi dealer 20 minutes away is a definite plus. As much as I love the acceleration of the Teslas the practicality of the e-Tron will probably win out.
I agree and think a lot depends on your individual circumstances and driving patterns. We currently have two Teslas and one Audi. We just cancelled an e-tron reservation, as the range is not sufficient for a winter trip that we do very frequently (Denver -> our other house in the SW Colorado mountains). There is a Tesla Supercharger along the route, though we have not needed it yet due to the longer range of our Teslas.

By the way, the Teslas have both been the most reliable cars we have ever owned. Our current 18 SQ5, and every other Audi we have owned, have had far more problems than any vehicle we have had from any manufacturer (including Tesla).

I like a lot about the e-tron, but it is not the right fit for us. Assuming it will be more reliable than a Tesla, as often suggested in this forum, may be a mistake.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi and Tesla owner here. I know it's not fair to compare the reliability of a model year 2003 car to a model year 2018, but here goes anyway.

First off, I purchased my 2018 Model 3 in July and it has been to service once in 7 months/12,500 miles and that was for minor cosmetic issues (a paint blemish and poor alignment of one headlight housing). The car is a June 2018 build. Tesla service had the car for a day and gave me a Cadillac loaner (ick). The car has been perfectly reliable and is an awesome drive.

My only other new car purchase was a 2003 A4 1.8T. I lost track of how many service visits I endured with that car, and they were most assuredly not for minor cosmetic issues. I got so sick of driving 45 minutes to the local Audi dealer and getting crappy GM loaners literally every other month that I was relieved when the 4 year warranty expired and I could just take care of problems myself.

Counterpoint: After warranty expiration the '03 A4 has been very reliable. I handed it down to my son and the odo is nearing 150k miles with only minor repairs and regular maintenance over the last 12 years. My 2007 A8L, now in the capable hands of an old friend, was quite reliable and with the awesome support of the D3 forum I was able to make the few repairs it needed all on my own. My wife's 2008 S4 has also been a good car. If the Tesla can match this record remains to be seen, but it's a great ride so far.

Regarding the Tesla experience: I love not needing to stop at gas stations. I leave the house every morning with a "full tank". I put about 500 miles/week on the car and the range is sufficient enough that I have rarely used the supercharger network. When I have supercharged it was typically for ~30 minutes which is barely enough time to use a restroom and get something to eat. The only maintenance item thus far was tire rotation and I did that myself.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Tesla Model 3 is probably, at this point, the best vehicle Tesla makes in terms of efficiency, tech, and reliability. The only reason to cross shop the 3 against the e-tron would be because they're both electric. I might consider an S or an X, but the 3 isn't on my radar. If I were shopping for a non luxury vehicle in that size and utility class, I'd definitely consider it.

The S and the X are still bringing the stats way down for Tesla. Anecdotal evidence of reliability, or lack thereof, isn't really valid. I've been lucky with my last three Audis, but somehow they earned only 7th. Tesla earned 27th.

Consumer Reports: Cadillac near bottom in reliability as Tesla tumbles

Brands' average reliability score

1. Lexus 78
2. Toyota 76
3. Mazda 69
4. Subaru 65
5. Kia 61 (tie)
6. Infiniti 61
7. Audi 60
8. BMW 58
9. Mini 57 (tie)
10. Hyundai 57
11. Porsche 54
12. Genesis 52
13. Acura 51
14. Nissan 51
15. Honda 50
16. Volkswagen 47
17. Mercedes-Benz 47
18. Ford 45
19. Buick 44
20. Lincoln 43
21. Dodge 40
22. Jeep 40
23. Chevrolet 39
24. Chrysler 38
25. GMC 37
26. Ram 34
27. Tesla 32
28. Cadillac 32
29. Volvo 22
Old 02-10-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tesla has some work to do in the reliability area. Despite that they rate excellent for return buyers.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/09...ll-car-brands/