Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Decision time!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Well, since you asked:

I cancelled my Edition One about a day after Tesla announced the range improvements to the S and X. Not because I need the range, but because it shows how far Audi (and most likely Mercedes) are behind in their drive technology. I don't think you can make the case that luxury and efficiency are mutually exclusive. There is a price to pay for luxury, but Audi should have done better. For that reason, the numbers started to make no sense to me. My original intent of paying cash or getting a small loan went out the window. I'm all about treating myself well, but the combination of low efficiency, the resultant unfavorable lease rates, and dealer launch exuberance is a spiral I want no part of. I want some value for my money and I started not to see that.

Two days ago I placed a new reservation. I'm going to spec a Premium Plus with Driver Assistance Package and that's it. Even going with 20" wheels. The lower MSRP and better lease make the numbers work for me, but just barely. I can live with the value equation on the Premium Plus car which should be just over $70,000 after credits.

When I reserved on 16 Sep 2018, the e-tron was a dream car and a keeper. Now I consider it a good interim car that I will thoroughly enjoy for 36 months. In the next few months I'll be looking at other options as well; waiting for the Polestar 2 I reserved, the Model S (if they update the interior), the I-PACE. That said, I do love my Audis.
Amen
Old 05-11-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LessCode MoreBeer
too small for two kids and all that comes with
Ok, got it. This may sound sacrilege but, I think you should test drive an I-Pace (either SE or HSE version). It's got more range and I think it's every bit luxe as the e-tron quattro. You don't get massage seats or fragrance (comes with air ionizer though), but it makes up for it in driving dynamics. Drives like sportswagon and throws you back on your seat when you mashed the pedal. I thought I was going to regret getting the I-Pace by not holding out fo the e-tron quattro. But when the initial specs for the e-tron came out, I cancelled my reservation for it and jumped ship.

And right now, you can either get $5,000 of MSRP or get 0% financing for 60 months when you buy.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Hmm. You make good points! I like that $5000 off MSRP + $7500 federal credit. I'm re-thinking the I-Pace. There still is some degree of range anxiety in the I-Pace, especially in the winter it can drop down to 150 miles. I've got the analysis paralysis.

Last edited by DMcDnald; 05-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lol @ analysis paralysis, same here, thanks for all the feedback everyone, has been invaluable. Hive think, love it Will try to do a test drive of the i-pace today, however looking at my specs page may not have enough room for car seats in back with tall driver in front, also less cargo space.

sacrifices! Why can't we have everything? lol

another thing I need to remember is that top gear review where the i-pace, e-tron and old model X got similar range in spirited driving....hmmmm however no-one has been able to significantly break the 204 range from what people have been reporting via hypermiling. It's kinda a fascinating efficiency behavior this car has.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LessCode MoreBeer
....hmmmm however no-one has been able to significantly break the 204 range from what people have been reporting via hypermiling. It's kinda a fascinating efficiency behavior this car has.

Here u go see pic that is 230+ range - Start with 100% charge, mostly in NYC traffic jam. But some stretch in CT was 65+ mph
Old 05-11-2019, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T

Here u go see pic that is 230+ range - Start with 100% charge, mostly in NYC traffic jam. But some stretch in CT was 65+ mph
Nice!! Mind posting in the max distance thread?
Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

1. The head-up display is invisible when wearing polarized sunglasses, so it's an unusable feature for most driving.
2. The I-Pace is a Jaguar. Remember the E-type? Jaguars have traditionally spent most of their lives in the repair shop.
3. And per Edmunds, "the I-Pace's unrefined braking action feels like an on-off toggle with no finesse. More than anything, the touchy brakes underscore that Jaguar is still a neophyte EV maker." And the all-glass roof might be a bit of a problem in the desert states.
4. The premium I-Pace costs the same as the e-Tron Prestige. I'll stay with the Audi, warts and all, over Tesla and Jaguar.
5. According to Sirius XM, who I called last week to give my VIN and get a quote, the e-Tron comes with a two-year free trial period. Not a bad deal if true.
6. Waiting another year or two or three to buy a car because of the depreciation factor or future advancements is a little strange because you will always lose money on a car, and there will always be more improvements coming every year.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
5. According to Sirius XM, who I called last week to give my VIN and get a quote, the e-Tron comes with a two-year free trial period. Not a bad deal if true.
It’s 3 months.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1. The head-up display is invisible when wearing polarized sunglasses, so it's an unusable feature for most driving.
2. The I-Pace is a Jaguar. Remember the E-type? Jaguars have traditionally spent most of their lives in the repair shop.
3. And per Edmunds, "the I-Pace's unrefined braking action feels like an on-off toggle with no finesse. More than anything, the touchy brakes underscore that Jaguar is still a neophyte EV maker." And the all-glass roof might be a bit of a problem in the desert states.
4. The premium I-Pace costs the same as the e-Tron Prestige. I'll stay with the Audi, warts and all, over Tesla and Jaguar.
6. Waiting another year or two or three to buy a car because of the depreciation factor or future advancements is a little strange because you will always lose money on a car, and there will always be more improvements coming every year.
Where do I start with this post?! The E-Type? Really? I had an Audi 1000 that spent a lot of time in the shop too but I don’t use that as a barometer of build quality.

The I-Pace braking is fine and in fact, you are not going to use the friction brakes a lot if you select high regen because the car can slow to a stop. Actually you have to readjust your driving style whenever you drive an ICE car because you forget letting go of the accelerator doesn’t slow the car down.

SiriusXM trial for e-tron is 3 months just like in any new car, whether Audi or Jaguar. No satellite radio in Teslas.

We’re in Southern California, the glass roof is coated with an anti-UV/anti-IR filter. It is fine. It let’s light in but not the heat. It’s actually the sun that comes from the side windows and front windshield that heats up the car. All Model 3 and Model X Teslas come with glass roofs, too.

Just test all the cars, and get the one your most comfortable in. If the e-tron floats your boat, get it.

Last edited by bruinmac; 05-11-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for your feedback! Actually I was looking at the HUD with my Maui Jim polarized and it looked fine.

True. If I can convince myself I'll keep this car for many many years it's a non factor.

Last edited by LessCode MoreBeer; 05-11-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Decision time!