Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

demand for E tron

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GiftCard
Just a quick point that by reserving an etron, there is no commitment to purchase. Your dealer can take delivery and if after sitting it or even taking a test drive, you get your $1,000 deposit back if you change your mind. The dealers won't mind as they will likely easily sell the etron to someone else.

Yes, that is true, its much different then reserving a Tesla where once your reservation becomes an order, your money is gone if you do not take delivery.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
A little birdie told me E-tron could get a EPA 225 mile rating, that seems low to me, but lets wait and see how much of the 95 kWh battery they are using as the recent charging data from fastned shows E-Tron charging at 50kW at 97% SOC, which says they have a large top buffer.

Electrify America currently has over 300 stations with at least permit submitted or under development, there are about 30 more sites per month expected for the next 6 months. Last I heard there are + or - 75 stations running, and about 75 more that have the construction completed, and will be open soon. Work was slow from Nov-Jan because retailers do not want construction vehicles taking up their valuable parking spaces during that time of year. Let's not forget, EA is a wholly owned VW company, they do not care to rush open their chargers until they have vehicles in the market. As E-Tron gets closer, you will see EA operate with more urgency IMHO.
Thanks very much for the detailed reply. What you said does help to allay some of my concerns. While 225 on the EPA is a good start, another 20-30 miles won't mean as much as a fully functioning 150kw charge infrastructure.

Do you have any info on OTA software updates? Can't find any info with the exception of early promises that it will be there?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Thanks very much for the detailed reply. What you said does help to allay some of my concerns. While 225 on the EPA is a good start, another 20-30 miles won't mean as much as a fully functioning 150kw charge infrastructure.

Do you have any info on OTA software updates? Can't find any info with the exception of early promises that it will be there?

Thanks.
Agree with you, the E-tron charging curve looks terrific on the recent Fastned online post, it averaged 150 kW all the way to 75% SOC, which is about double the speed of a Tesla S or X from 50-80% SOC. Charging from 20-80% is usually the most often range I use on a road trip. Maybe 10-90% if I am pushing my luck.

As for OTA, E-Tron will not be as over the air configurable as say a Tesla. The architecture of the electronics will not allow that, but it should be delivered initially with 100% functionality, and updates to fix infotainment bugs should be able to be done through the telematics. Tesla often gets praise for their OTA updates, but often are just fixing big bugs, and adding functions that the hardware was installed in the car, but software not written at delivery. One example, my buddy got an early model 3, and the rear heated seats did not work for the first 4 months, then the control software was added and wow... they worked. People praise Tesla for this, but I look at it differently, I prefer the company finish the software development and ship me a car that has 100% functionality from day 1. Audi will not be adding 80's Atari games and fart sounds to E-Tron I am afraid. Actually VW ID products use a new electronic architecture that will be much more flexible OTA.

E-Tron confirmed charging curve via Fastned
Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May-June USA arrival for the E-Tron, limited quantities, and by August there will be larger quantities. I estimate there are 8k deposits in the USA, and about 16K worldwide, not incl China. Pre Production Models are making the rounds now, dealers inviting reservation holders, and people who have gotten on the information list to see them in the 1st qtr. I know several EV consumers that are waiting to see, EPA rating, Real world charging, quality, and initial reliability, before committing.

I talked to someone on Audi's e-tron hotline who suggested that US deliveries may start in April.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LRSIII
I talked to someone on Audi's e-tron hotline who suggested that US deliveries may start in April.
April is possible, production is ramping pretty good now, and I know the original plan was late Q1, but that was before the previously announced delay. I do not have any specific information, May was literally just a guess for initial salable arrival of the E-Tron. I would guess the first 25 or so will go into Audi America's captured fleet for final USA testing and validations. I hope Audi is able to convince the NHTSA to let us use the Matrix headlights from day 1.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Agree with you, the E-tron charging curve looks terrific on the recent Fastned online post, it averaged 150 kW all the way to 75% SOC, which is about double the speed of a Tesla S or X from 50-80% SOC. Charging from 20-80% is usually the most often range I use on a road trip. Maybe 10-90% if I am pushing my luck.

E-Tron confirmed charging curve via Fastned
If that performance is repeatable, this might be the e-tron's party piece! Very impressive.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
If that performance is repeatable, this might be the e-tron's party piece! Very impressive.
Yes, this charging ramp is paving new ground for larger size EV road trips. Looks to me like 30 minute off route for each 150 miles is doable. I got the chart from the twitter account of the Head of Network Technology for Fastned, so certainly a trustworthy source. The Fastned folks were even impressed with the charging rate on the E-Tron., here is the link...
Old 01-14-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

As for OTA, E-Tron will not be as over the air configurable as say a Tesla. The architecture of the electronics will not allow that, but it should be delivered initially with 100% functionality, and updates to fix infotainment bugs should be able to be done through the telematics.
No OTA updates is one thing but no updates at all is a thing from the last decade. For the last two years I'm trying to get an MMI update to fix some of the most annoying issues and all dealers decline it. I'm fine with no OTA updates but getting updated software only with a new car is a show stopper. I don't own a Tesla and I don't know much about how they do their updates. But based on public reports, Tesla owners regularly get new features and not just bug fixes as you call it. My Lane Assist (not TJA) is pretty much unusable in the city, traffic sign recognition is 100% wrong on certain streets and the MMI crashes regularly or behaves not as designed. All issues that can be fixed in software but Audi NA declines any request to provide those updates. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people leasing e-trons for 2, 3 or 4 years and not caring about updates (or door dings). Those who actually own their cars and take care of them will sooner or later avoid Audi and any other car manufacturer that doesn't provide regular software maintenance in the same way as they require hardware maintenance. I would not buy a premium phone/tablet/computer if I only get support for a year or two and are supposed to upgrade to a new phone after that and I do not plan on doing any different with my next car.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
... For the last two years I'm trying to get an MMI update to fix some of the most annoying issues and all dealers decline it.
That is very strange. If you are under warranty usually just complaining of an issue that you know from the forums is fixed in a newer version, like "my windows phone won't connect", will prompt any dealer to do an MMI update. If you are out of warranty simply saying "here is my credit card please install the latest MMI software" should work. I've yet to encounter a dealer who would not take money to do whatever you want.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
That is very strange. If you are under warranty usually just complaining of an issue that you know from the forums is fixed in a newer version, like "my windows phone won't connect", will prompt any dealer to do an MMI update. If you are out of warranty simply saying "here is my credit card please install the latest MMI software" should work. I've yet to encounter a dealer who would not take money to do whatever you want.
I have 4 dealers in driving distance and they all told me that there is no updates for my MMI that would fix the issues that I am seeing or would be assigned to my VIN. I got 4 MMI updates in my 2012 A6 C7 which was one of the reasons why I got my A4 B9 in March 2016 as one of the first. If I would have known that Audi NA is not providing updates anymore, I would not have bought a first year model.

Quick Reply: demand for E tron