AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   demand for E tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/demand-e-tron-2965410/)

gk1 01-14-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US (Post 25261517)
I have 4 dealers in driving distance and they all told me that there is no updates for my MMI that would fix the issues that I am seeing or would be assigned to my VIN. I got 4 MMI updates in my 2012 A6 C7 which was one of the reasons why I got my A4 B9 in March 2016 as one of the first. If I would have known that Audi NA is not providing updates anymore, I would not have bought a first year model.

OK I understand now... They are telling you there is no fixed MMI software yet for the issues you are seeing on your B9 if you are already on the latest version. Got it.
AFAIK an early 2016 would have shipped with P0900 and the latest is P0942...(Roughly 1 update per year) what all was corrected within those versions I do not know.

FWIW Lane Assist only works above 37 MPH to keep you in marked lanes so I am not sure how useful it is in a city environment.

Tom-ETRON 01-14-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sierraskier (Post 25261729)
So just to make sure I understand - you work in the auto industry, most (if not all) auto manufacturers are running towards OTA as fast as they can, but you don't view it as important?

Sure, of course SOTA is important, but it is not the most important to me. What got me interested in the E-Tron is the looks, the overall size, the features, but the clincher was the charging, and relationship with Electrify America. It may turn out that Tesla Model X is slightly more efficient, but the E-Tron's charging speed will simply crush the Tesla Model X on a road trip, and every model X built and the Tesla supercharger network will become inferior for road tripping in an SUV overnight. SOTA ain't gonna fix either of those items, as the Tesla Model X battery cooling system is maxed out at the current charging rate, hence the reason X cannot charge as fast as a smaller Model 3, even on the same charger and conditions.

perlfather 01-24-2019 07:58 AM

Saw this in European Automotive news:

Audi demand

Due to the strong demand for its e-tron SUV, Audi is also planning to increase the capacity of its Brussels, Belgium, plant in 2020, Automobilwoche has learned. The number of vehicles produced per hour is then due to rise to 24 from 20.

“The demand for the e-tron is growing, so we continue to look at our production capacity and adjust it to the market situation where necessary,” Patrick Danau, managing director for Audi Brussels, told Automobilwoche.

When necessary, every available calendar day is used to cover the demand, he said. The production ramp-up phase is now underway. At 20 cars per hour, Audi can build about 70,000 e-trons a year in a two-shift operation, assuming 220 production days.

LavaGrau_A3 02-05-2019 06:55 PM

This video shows 1% to 100% in about 50 minutes. Far from an ideal charging situation to take up a battery that low and go all the way to 100%. Impressive especially at -1C.

Charge speed gets as high as 151kW and 650km(404 miles)/hour!

alexlear 02-05-2019 07:55 PM

These charge rate posts really deserve their own thread...

The charge rate is really impressive. We know that it can achieve 150kw at much lower SoC in warmer climates so its interesting to see it ramp up in the (somewhat) cold. Regardless, 68kw starting charge rate is fantastic! I bet you could do the Bjorn Nyland trick of a couple acceleration runs to heat the pack before plugging in to get the best initial charge rate.

ted99 02-10-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by GiftCard (Post 25260918)
Just a quick point that by reserving an etron, there is no commitment to purchase. Your dealer can take delivery and if after sitting it or even taking a test drive, you get your $1,000 deposit back if you change your mind. The dealers won't mind as they will likely easily sell the etron to someone else.

After dithering for a while, I just paid the $1K deposit. Major reason is that news about the battery supply developments leads me to believe that Audi may raise the price and I "hope" that the reservation locks in the current MSRP. Re: not taking the car. When I reserved, the FAQ said that once the car is scheduled for production, the $1K deposit is refunded to the original CC, so that the $ is available for completing the purchase. Makes not taking the car easy.

When I first looked at the reservation process last Nov, I asked my local dealer, Audi Central Houston, how many reservations they had and what they expected their allocations to be. Doing the math, I concluded that their entire 2019 allocation was "reserved". Since I don't want a car until June 2020, I decided to wait a while before reserving--would've waited a little longer except for the possibility of a price increase.

Which raises a question: Will Audi allocate cars according to reservation "number" and disregard allocations for individual dealers? If that's the case, a dealer may really want a reservation holder to decline to take the car, if they are adding "Additional Dealer Profit" for buyers without a reservation.

I'm hoping that by 2020, Audi will be allowing European delivery. Europe, and particularly Germany, is getting a pretty good charging network.

LavaGrau_A3 02-10-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25272102)
These charge rate posts really deserve their own thread...

The charge rate is really impressive. We know that it can achieve 150kw at much lower SoC in warmer climates so its interesting to see it ramp up in the (somewhat) cold. Regardless, 68kw starting charge rate is fantastic! I bet you could do the Bjorn Nyland trick of a couple acceleration runs to heat the pack before plugging in to get the best initial charge rate.

I don't think people realize how hugely important sustained charge rate is. I didn't until recently. The e-tron is a definite standout.

Have to give Bjorn credit, his videos have changed the way I look at range and charging figures. If Electrify America ramps up as they plan, I'll be "hammering it" between :30 stops. My wife will be even happier than she is in my "fossil" car. :)

Matt Binter 08-12-2020 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Tom-ETRON;25261377]Agree with you, the E-tron charging curve looks terrific on the recent Fastned online post, it averaged 150 kW all the way to 75% SOC, which is about double the speed of a Tesla S or X from 50-80% SOC. Charging from 20-80% is usually the most often range I use on a road trip. Maybe 10-90% if I am pushing my luck.

As for OTA, E-Tron will not be as over the air configurable as say a Tesla. The architecture of the electronics will not allow that, but it should be delivered initially with 100% functionality, and updates to fix infotainment bugs should be able to be done through the telematics. Tesla often gets praise for their OTA updates, but often are just fixing big bugs, and adding functions that the hardware was installed in the car, but software not written at delivery. One example, my buddy got an early model 3, and the rear heated seats did not work for the first 4 months, then the control software was added and wow... they worked. People praise Tesla for this, but I look at it differently, I prefer the company finish the software development and ship me a car that has 100% functionality from day 1. Audi will not be adding 80's Atari games and fart sounds to E-Tron I am afraid. Actually VW ID products use a new electronic architecture that will be much more flexible OTA.

You are missing fundamentals for understanding how software delivery and continuous deployments work in 21st century.
Software is evolving all the tome with new features dded and improved almost continuously. Buying $100k and stating to have “100% functionality“ is childish statement. I want my car to be improved over time And its efficiency to be better. can u imagine i bought iPhone and you are stuck with version of software and apps at that time. No updates no new features? Imagine your etron be like that. I would never buy ev without clear manif vision And commitment for regular sw updates. And i dont have fait legacy car manif will have know/how to execute that. And etron platform is not even native ev. It is retrofit. So until these things are resolved, etron resale price will be low imho.

Tom-ETRON 08-12-2020 08:05 PM

Childish, is you insulting me... Now, I cannot think of any meaningful features that were added to my I-Phone this last year even though it has been updated OTA multiple times. Now, My E-Tron has had an update at the first service appointment that supposedly gave it more range, however I have always gotten well over the rated range, and really did not notice any difference. 5% here or there is hardly noticeable. I am sorry, but for me, I buy something based on what it is, and have no expectation for it to "improve" over time. In the 3-5 years I will own the E-Tron I just hope it keeps running perfectly as it has so far... That will make me happy. Car is quiet, and solid, and much more comfortable than any Tesla. It is also packed with features that are not available on any Tesla, and can't be upgraded with software. For example Tesla's interior suck, plain and simple. No HUD, No ventilated Massage Seats, No details LED lighting, No puddle lights, overall poor interior ergonomics for storage, I see Model Y finally got wireless charging, Speaking of the Y, have you seen they mechanism for lowering the center ski seat in the back? What is that rod sticking out to scratch your skis? Is that something that can be updated OTA? Can you name a meaningful feature Tesla added to their cars the last year?

PNW Etron 08-12-2020 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON (Post 25487715)
Childish, is you insulting me... Now, I cannot think of any meaningful features that were added to my I-Phone this last year even though it has been updated OTA multiple times. Now, My E-Tron has had an update at the first service appointment that supposedly gave it more range, however I have always gotten well over the rated range, and really did not notice any difference. 5% here or there is hardly noticeable. I am sorry, but for me, I buy something based on what it is, and have no expectation for it to "improve" over time. In the 3-5 years I will own the E-Tron I just hope it keeps running perfectly as it has so far... That will make me happy. Car is quiet, and solid, and much more comfortable than any Tesla. It is also packed with features that are not available on any Tesla, and can't be upgraded with software. For example Tesla's interior suck, plain and simple. No HUD, No ventilated Massage Seats, No details LED lighting, No puddle lights, overall poor interior ergonomics for storage, I see Model Y finally got wireless charging, Speaking of the Y, have you seen they mechanism for lowering the center ski seat in the back? What is that rod sticking out to scratch your skis? Is that something that can be updated OTA? Can you name a meaningful feature Tesla added to their cars the last year?

I think part of the problem is that the Audi software isn't terribly reliable out of the gate. The rear camera is slow to engage or doesn't engage at all. The wave of the future is software that gets updated. You might not care if your Apple iPhone IOS never gets update, but you're in the minority. Consumers demand improvement and Tesla has set the bar for software that gets updated over time. Audi better wake up or they will end up like Blackberry.....a great phone 10+ years ago that never got updated and now forgotten. I'm thankful that I don't need to take my iPhone to the Apple store to update the software....lol.