Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Disappointing B&O Audio Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing B&O Audio Performance

Hello all,

We took delivery of our ordered Prestige e-Tron a week and a half ago. From the time it arrived at the dealer and we did the final overnight my wife (her car) was complaining about the Audio sound. The thing that stands out is that it sounds very 'tinny' with a weird emphasis on "S" and "F". It seems to be comparable across sources (Sirius, HD Radio, Phone) and was confirmed by the dealer chief technologist and the salesman who played with the settings extensively. Some tweaks to surround and 3D level improved it, but it should not be like this. My wife also noticed some crackling on Bluetooth phone calls the first day but has not mentioned that since. We almost did not purchase the car for this reason, especially after getting in the 2015 allRoad also with a B&O system and thinking this sounds way better!

Dealer during PDI did an inspection of the audio system and states it is functioning as it should and the dealer personnel noted they sat in two other e-Trons on the lot and experienced the same noise so they believe it is a software issue not a hardware issue.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else disappointed in the Audio performance for such a high end system in a high end car? I am going to call eTron support today and register our concerns and the dealer had a contact in support they were supposed to reach out to (unconfirmed). I also think I may go back to the dealer and have them prove to me they hear the same things in the other vehicles because if not, then going to be mad as we would have just re-ordered and waited over having the dash torn apart to do hardware changes...

Thanks for listening...

Mike
2019 e-Tron Prestige Manhattan Grey with Beige Interior + Cold Weather Package
Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

There haven't been that many complaints. Personally, I'm very pleased with the audio quality when connected to a solid source. This is my third Audi B&O system and to my ears, the best yet. I had an Allroad and I have to admit, that system was very good. The bass on the e-tron is much tighter and stronger though.

Sirius is the worst source to use in a comparison. I listen to it a lot for convenience, but the bandwidth is terrible. HD Radio can be good or bad. I would suggest that you make an SD card of high quality tracks that you are familiar with. Use the best encoding the e-tron supports and either rip from CD or download. You need to remove the source as a variable.
The following users liked this post:
Tom-ETRON (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
There haven't been that many complaints. Personally, I'm very pleased with the audio quality when connected to a solid source. This is my third Audi B&O system and to my ears, the best yet. I had an Allroad and I have to admit, that system was very good. The bass on the e-tron is much tighter and stronger though.

Sirius is the worst source to use in a comparison. I listen to it a lot for convenience, but the bandwidth is terrible. HD Radio can be good or bad. I would suggest that you make an SD card of high quality tracks that you are familiar with. Use the best encoding the e-tron supports and either rip from CD or download. You need to remove the source as a variable.
Same for me, totally happy with the sound system in the first week, and with 2 road trips (300 miles each)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BandO

I do agree Sirius and HD are not me necessarily the gold standard but we I am discussing here is a problem with the sounds that is actually annoying. And my wife had Sirius HD and Bluetooth phone in the allroad. This appears to be an issue with or how the processor is using the front middle speaker maybe... Dealer confirms they hear it in all the etrons on the lot. Listen closely to S and F sounds and maybe you will pick it up?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like maybe a problem with the surround processor and/or 3D effect. Although I have not experienced it on my e-tron, I have noticed a sort of sibilance with the surround level turned up on past vehicles.