Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Drop in Range?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drop in Range?

I purchased my 2019 e-tron in June 2020 and when I charged it to 80%, I typically had a projected range of approximately 180 miles. However, recently my 80% projected range is 160 miles. I live in a very hot climate so the weather now is more ideal for battery life than in the summer; furthermore, my mix of driving has not changed. I wondering if this "drop" in range should be something to worry about? I only have 2,500 miles on the car so I don't have a lot of data on this vehicle. What do you think?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

The range estimate is just that -- an estimate. We call it the "guess-o-meter" on this forum. The range estimate is based on your recent driving behavior and energy consumption. A change of 20 miles in range is really not much when it comes to the range estimator.

If you're worried that something is wrong with your e-tron -- it's fine, your e-tron is working as designed. You haven't "lost" range, it's just that the parameters going into the estimation have changed. This can be everything from driving habits, to temperature, to tire pressure, etc.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:41 AM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by e-tron_Ron
I purchased my 2019 e-tron in June 2020 and when I charged it to 80%, I typically had a projected range of approximately 180 miles. However, recently my 80% projected range is 160 miles. I live in a very hot climate so the weather now is more ideal for battery life than in the summer; furthermore, my mix of driving has not changed. I wondering if this "drop" in range should be something to worry about? I only have 2,500 miles on the car so I don't have a lot of data on this vehicle. What do you think?
The estimated range is based upon averages of your daily driving over time. If you want to know why the estimated range has changed, take a look at your daily mi/kWh or whatever it is. Find a particular day where it was lower than normal and brought down the average, or a day in your previous where it was higher than normal and brought up the average. I’ve noticed even some extra stop and go traffic can make a noticeable difference in the same daily commute.

If it’s a genuine degradation over time you’ll see the daily efficiency slowly and consistently deteriorate, rather than a few odd trips. As mentioned this could be as simple as tire pressure.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 673 Likes on 487 Posts

I would not sweat anything that the GOM (Guess o meter) predicts when you first turn the etron on. Especially if you know your own driving style. The reason being that it takes into account your previous driving habits and applies some sort of algorithm to your planned route. While that is all very handy, it is often not accurate, especially when you first set out or if you have changed loads, or the weather has changed. I find that the etron logic is pretty good for making quick estimate adjustments based on elevation and heat in my case, but it often takes into account something from my most recent trip which will throw off the calculation for the next trip until it adjusts again. (Some times I'll take my trip home and just say eff it and max the AC for an hour commute. Sue me, it is way over 100 outside. But that highly inefficient logic is there at the start of my next trip.)

Old 11-23-2020, 10:52 AM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Just an example, these are data from arbitrary daily city driving within the same area near my home.

There is a decent variation depending on the traffic conditions, my mood and how I feel like driving, etc. I would not be able to point out anything notable between any of these particular trips from memory, just an array of normal daily errands.

If every day were 59.5 kWh per 100 miles my estimated range at 80% charge would be 142 miles.

If every day were 35.7 kWh per 100 miles my estimated range at 80% charge would be 238 miles.

I think right now the range estimator is telling me 172 miles at 80% charge. It continues to fluctuate up or down a bit every time I take a trip.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

To the OP:
Sent you a PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by e-tron_Ron
Las Vegas...hot days, cold nights. First, if you charge at night and the nights have gotten colder, that may reduce the total battery capacity for a full charge. Related to this, if you start out on colder mornings, you will bleed GOM miles for a longer time until the battery warms up to maximum efficiency. (Using the MyAudi app to set up a charge/preconditon timer to complete by your departure time can improve this.) Second, I'm assuming you are still driving with the A/C button on. For temperature control, the E Tron will first use the A/C to cool the air down (to dehumidify the air), THEN, if necessary, it will use the Heat Pump to warm the air up to the desired temperature. It's possible that in the really hot weather only the A/C was being used, so only the A/C will draw power from the battery...there was no need to warm the air with the heat pump. In cooler climate, both the A/C and Heat Pump will draw from the battery...increasing the demand on the battery. As long as the A/C button is on, the car will cool the air (no matter if it needs it or not to achieve cabin temperature) in order to dehumidify it. If your outside temps allow, turn off the A/C, since your air probably does not need to be dehumidified. A nibble here, a chunk there, can eat into the GOM miles.

Last edited by JNealCox; 11-23-2020 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
e-tron_Ron (11-24-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

So is there a way to check degradation?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Multiphonic
Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure the battery is subjected to a series of QA tests to certify its charge/discharge capacity, but you would have to duplicate those conditions. For that matter, what are the conditions the EPA uses? I guess you can only hope that what seems to be lost now, comes back later!

Last edited by JNealCox; 11-23-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Multiphonic
You can get the Battery Management system's opinion with an aftermarket tool such as Torque Pro or ODBeleven.

The estimated Amp Hours of capacity are readable over the CAN bus.

Quick Reply: Drop in Range?